• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

new pcp question

Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing the Umarex Gauntlet as my first jump into the pcp world. I'm looking at the hand pumps available on ebay, but I'm confused on if i'll need an adapter. These say 8mm female on the description of the pump, but does this line up with the Gauntlet or will I need an adapter?

Thanks in advance for helping me be less clueless!

When I go cheap I'm always disappointed and end up buying the good stuff later spending even more money. Not to say I don't understand or appreciate the realities of "affordable " PCP stuff gets expensive and having gotten back into this later in life there are some really really nice spring guns that I personally would buy rather then economy PCP's.

Don't know if that comment is appropriate or not but it's meant to be helpful 

Spysir John here on the forums really knows his stuff and I trust his judgement and recommends the $50 ebay pumps. I believe he tried them all. You really have to be in very good physical shape to use any of the pumps REGULARLY if you plan to shoot much IMHO because it gets really tiring which makes people not want to shoot PCPs as much unless you have a tank more for convience with no stress.

For just a little more $$$ I also would consider a Nova Freedom which is a PCP which already has a built in pump and I posted my recommendation at least on a 177 which I have and now shoot daily out to 60 yards and is a tack driver. It is ridiculously easy to pump compared to using a hand pump to refill other PCPs. Not tiring at all. It is like pumping a toy with very little effort and IMHO about a thousand times easier than using a hand pump not exaggerating here. I also own a 177 and 22 Gauntlet with lots of tuning work done too and no longer shoot them now that I have the Nova Freedom (which is also called the Seneca Aspen).

CA

When I go cheap I'm always disappointed and end up buying the good stuff later spending even more money. Not to say I don't understand or appreciate the realities of "affordable " PCP stuff gets expensive and having gotten back into this later in life there are some really really nice spring guns that I personally would buy rather then economy PCP's.

Don't know if that comment is appropriate or not but it's meant to be helpful

Your comment is certainly appropriate and i'm open to all feedback. I bought an Umarex Forge and have been impressed with it out of the box, but I'm just wanting to explore a multi-shot PCP in .22

Spysir John here on the forums really knows his stuff and I trust his judgement and recommends the $50 ebay pumps. I believe he tried them all. You really have to be in very good physical shape to use any of the pumps REGULARLY if you plan to shoot much IMHO because it gets really tiring which makes people not want to shoot PCPs as much unless you have a tank more for convience with no stress.

For just a little more $$$ I also would consider a Nova Freedom which is a PCP which already has a built in pump and I posted my recommendation at least on a 177 which I have and now shoot daily out to 60 yards and is a tack driver. It is ridiculously easy to pump compared to using a hand pump to refill other PCPs. Not tiring at all. It is like pumping a toy with very little effort and IMHO about a thousand times easier than using a hand pump not exaggerating here. I also own a 177 and 22 Gauntlet with lots of tuning work done too and no longer shoot them now that I have the Nova Freedom (which is also called the Seneca Aspen).

CA

I'm really looking into the .22 as I have a .177 springer. I'm not too worried about the hand pumping as I'm a dedicated cyclist with some solid cardio to match my 190lb frame. I can probably muscle it around enough to not get frustrated.

Good insight on the pump and the Aspen. I'll check into that rifle before I make a decision.

CA

That's interesting and certainly great news. I wonder what the difference is because you would think or at least I would that pumping is pumping. In fact pumping on the gun would seem like it should be harder. How many strokes is required. Sorta makes a fellow think that there is a better way to design a pump maybe. By the time you buy a compressor and tank you have made a real commitment to the game for sure. 

No

Now there's an idea rig up a stationary bike or tread mill to an air compressor or pump. It would be a biathlon event then. Sure wouldn't hurt me a bit.
1f600.svg

I already use a trainer in my room with my bike mounted. Now if I could find a way to convert that into useable air pressure we would really have something!

NO I am saying that I belive the regular PCP pump manufacturers need to do something and or change their design to make it as easy to pump as a Nova Freedom. I used FX and Hill pumps before (these are supposed to be the best and are also the most expensive) as well as Benjamin and Air Force and BSA brands trying to find the easiest one to use to no avail. I have pumped enough different PCPs to know that at least for 177 caliber, that it takes an average of 2 pump strokes per shot using the FX or Hill.

The Nova Freedom in 177 also takes around 2 strokes per shot but the difference in pumping effort is literally night and day based on the comparison regarding the effort it takes to use the onboard pump and the separate FX or Hill pump.

I have to tell you that when pumping from 2000psi to 3000psi it is a REAL CHORE TO DO using a hand pump of ANY BRAND I TRIED

and gets progressively HARDER to PUMP the higher the pressure goes past 2000psi making it impossible for some to pump it to 3000 leaning your entire body weight when at the highest psi marks and all and pumping from 2000 to 3000 with the Nova Freedom is easy peasy that I really believe that ANYONE can to it including a young person. 

Using a hand pump regularly is like having long session of wild sex but not in a good sense. Breathing and heart rate extremely accellerated then you try to go and shoot it right away accurately, NO CAN DO. Makes you not want to shoot as much considering the consequences of pumping again. That is why people buy compressors or tanks.

When you look at the bit picture, you may pump 100 or more strokes using your hand pump to shoot 50 177 caliber shots and I really have to tell you that it ain't fun at all to do because using a hand pump is way harder than the onboard pump on the Nova Freedom but on the other hand, I pump 20 then shoot 10 shots, then very easily and effortlessly pump 20 again then shoot 10 shots with breathing and heart beat not at all accellerated.

It will also shoot similar to a regulated gun if you shoot 5 then pump 10 then shoot 5 and pump 10 and so on in 177.

No one could ever know unless you find out the hard way and buy a Nova Freedom or Seneca Aspen after the fact as I did.

Airgun shooting is meant to be fun and relaxing. Pumping with a hand pump is NOT. JMHO !!!

CA

Mcnasty I have the gauntlet and on a very low budget. I have had my gauntlet and chineese pump for about a year now and have no complaints. The pump was 44.00 and is easier to pump than my friends Benjamin which I used two times until mine came. The pump guage reads the same as my gun. I have about 6000 shots thru the gun and the pump aired all but 100 or so shots. It is true that it takes some effort to pump but I am 75 yrs old and 164 lbs and can do it. I go 50 pumps rest for a minute or two and go another 50. this way I don't get winded. I also pump slow, its not necessary to speed pump and keeps the pump cool. Also my cheap pump fills from 0 to 300 with less strokes than my friends. I read a lot and on the forums if it is not the very best and most costly it is not good. For folks like me that cant have the best the cheapest sometimes is as good as the best.

Just my opinion on what I have and have access to. JC S

Reactions: Rodeo
Mcnasty I have the gauntlet and on a very low budget. I have had my gauntlet and chineese pump for about a year now and have no complaints. The pump was 44.00 and is easier to pump than my friends Benjamin which I used two times until mine came. The pump guage reads the same as my gun. I have about 6000 shots thru the gun and the pump aired all but 100 or so shots. It is true that it takes some effort to pump but I am 75 yrs old and 164 lbs and can do it. I go 50 pumps rest for a minute or two and go another 50. this way I don't get winded. I also pump slow, its not necessary to speed pump and keeps the pump cool. Also my cheap pump fills from 0 to 300 with less strokes than my friends. I read a lot and on the forums if it is not the very best and most costly it is not good. For folks like me that cant have the best the cheapest sometimes is as good as the best.

good insight! thank you

mcnasty- Have you considered the Urban? It's a nice little PCP. I also have a .25 Flash which I like (and a .22 mrod which I also like), but the Urban shoots tighter groups for me than the Flash and is far lighter than the mrod. I bet you can find it for a great price over Black Friday.

It was a VERY close call between the Gauntlet and the Urban. I was swayed about by the available mods available for the Gauntlet and also the fact that it will primarily be shot from the bench and not in the field as often. Given that I'm adding this to the existing Forge, does this make me an Umarex fanboy? You are partially to blame for this 😜

Ditto.

i bought a $34 Chinese pump for my gauntlet and it has been flawless. I guess it is better to try the cheap pump and have it last for 1000’s of shots than spend hundreds and it may not be any better. I have been through about 5000 shots on the gauntlet with it.

Ditto.

i bought a $34 Chinese pump for my gauntlet and it has been flawless. I guess it is better to try the cheap pump and have it last for 1000’s of shots than spend hundreds and it may not be any better. I have been through about 5000 shots on the gauntlet with it.