New PB in range on ground squirrel @107yds

Hot diggity dog, the flashpup is a fine rifle for a regular farmer Joe like me!

Took the Jeep on a ground squirrel mission at 8pm this evening knowing I had 2hrs of light left. It was 90⁰ with 100% humidity and SUCKED, but I've been waiting all day for this and it turned out to be a FABULOUS set!

Glossing a section of field we cut and haven't got to bailing yet I could see hundreds of ground squirell standing tall waiting to take a 28 grainer, so I let them have it. Most shots came in no more than 30-40yds if I'm being honest, but got warmed up and started smashing a few at that 60-70yd range.

Glassed one out at 107yds and was feeling comfortable and confident by this point, so I let it fly and I couldn't believe it when I heard the report LOUD AND CLEAR! 107yds dead center just under the neck. If I'm being honest with ya'll and myself, I was going for a headshot, but this landed 1/8" - 1/4" low and severed his spinal cord, he was DRT BABY!!!!!!

I know 107yds isn't diddly to many of you, but for me, lordy lordy, I was just beside myself!

Tonight paid dividens as I gained more valuable knowledge about my rifle and a confidence in her that will make me a a better shooter tomorrow.

Picture of my PB and picture of the field I was shooting into for reference on terrain. I didn't even manage to pick up a single tick walking into that field in shorts! Only thing could have been better was if my girl was riding shotgun with me, but she doesn't like to go "shoot poop" so it was me myself and I.

Screenshot_20220716-214113_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220716-215221_Gallery.jpg

107 yards with a target that small is nothing to sneeze at. Good shooting
I suppose you are right. Some of these things have gotten surprisingly comfortable in the habitat in which they live, cause a few of these were CHUNKY. Could have been preggo I suppose too, but either way, I'm going g out tomorrow evening around 6 so I can have 4 hours of shooting now that I know how many are running around out yonder.

I also headed over to where our horses are and was shocked at how many holes there are all over. I will move them into the canola fields in the AM and go about trying to rectify that problem.

Screenshot_20220717-000803_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220717-000735_Gallery.jpg

Really nice write up and good shooting. Looks like a great piece of this country.
Thank you Hal! When I got back I didn't even wash my hands, just went right into the write up as I was trying to tell the same story to the Mrs. She couldn't give 2 shiţs though! 🤣

Also, you are right. North Dakota is God's country without a doubt!

Screenshot_20220717-000851_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220717-000710_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220713-204315_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220713-204249_Gallery.jpg

I think it's more about, did you have fun? Did you make a difference? Will you do it again? The answer is a resounding YES!
You could have done the same thing with $2000-$4000 rig. The rodents are just as dead and you accomplished what you set out to do while keeping a couple of grand in your pocket.
Hats off to you and your skills.

Reactions: Swing360
I think it's more about, did you have fun? Did you make a difference? Will you do it again? The answer is a resounding YES!
You could have done the same thing with $2000-$4000 rig. The rodents are just as dead and you accomplished what you set out to do while keeping a couple of grand in your pocket.
Hats off to you and your skills.
Oh I absolutely had a blast! I'm 36 and have been an avid hunter since I was around 12. I've taken most small and medium game this country has to offer. I've never had the opportunity to shoot anything exotic outside of an Elk and still didnt fill the freezer with one, but it was a trip with my ex wife's dad that I'll never forget!

Even here, we have some incredible big game that I've been entering lotteries for (no luck yet) and hope and pray I get a moose or Big horn sheep or pronghorn before I can't see to hunt anymore as I get older.

With that said, the ground squirell and prarie dog are by far the most fun I've had shooting in all my years. They are more than abundant and allow any shooter to hone his craft and better himself.

Don't get me wrong, I had PLENTY of misses yesterday and I do mean PLENTY! I am debating the use of a sideshot scope mount, but am waiting on a better scope before I do. I'd really like to share the shooting I do and highlight a budget airguns capabilites.

If I were more into target shooting as a hobby like some here that do competitions and competitive shooting, I'd probably sell a powder burner or 2 to grab me an FX, RAW or something high end like that, but nah....

I have a few AR pattern rifles that are easily in the $5,000 range. A .50 that my brother (best friend) bought me as a wedding gift years ago and I just can't afford to even hardly shoot them. This Hatsan Flashpup hits all the checks for me and I've had more fun in the last month with it than I have all my powder burners combined. Also, I've managed to shoot almost 2000 rounds this month. I don't shoot 2000 rounds in a YEAR with my powder burners.

I'm blessed as a shooter to have access to fruitful grounds so I can keep meat in the freezer, I'm blessed to have access to this forum to converse with like minded individuals of all walks of life and I'm blessed to have a family and daughter who will grow up outside of the city, who will learn to fend for herself and feed herself. If at the end of the day I've done my job correctly, my daughter Ivy will want for nothing in this life and will only need a man (or woman?) for companionship, not a lifeline.

I apologize for the long winded posts, but it's how I operate 🤣🤣

God bless

Hot diggity dog, the flashpup is a fine rifle for a regular farmer Joe like me!

Took the Jeep on a ground squirrel mission at 8pm this evening knowing I had 2hrs of light left. It was 90⁰ with 100% humidity and SUCKED, but I've been waiting all day for this and it turned out to be a FABULOUS set!

Glossing a section of field we cut and haven't got to bailing yet I could see hundreds of ground squirell standing tall waiting to take a 28 grainer, so I let them have it. Most shots came in no more than 30-40yds if I'm being honest, but got warmed up and started smashing a few at that 60-70yd range.

Glassed one out at 107yds and was feeling comfortable and confident by this point, so I let it fly and I couldn't believe it when I heard the report LOUD AND CLEAR! 107yds dead center just under the neck. If I'm being honest with ya'll and myself, I was going for a headshot, but this landed 1/8" - 1/4" low and severed his spinal cord, he was DRT BABY!!!!!!

I know 107yds isn't diddly to many of you, but for me, lordy lordy, I was just beside myself!

Tonight paid dividens as I gained more valuable knowledge about my rifle and a confidence in her that will make me a a better shooter tomorrow.

Picture of my PB and picture of the field I was shooting into for reference on terrain. I didn't even manage to pick up a single tick walking into that field in shorts! Only thing could have been better was if my girl was riding shotgun with me, but she doesn't like to go "shoot poop" so it was me myself and I.

View attachment 276036

View attachment 276037
Nice read Swing360 and great shooting!