Beeman New P3

Over Thanksgiving I was opening emails from PA promoting Black Friday sales and I have never tried to take advantage of that before, but I was curious about the offers. Before I finished looking at one discount, I would get an email offering a better one. When I thought I had the hang of it I ordered a Beeman P3. About an hour later I got another email offering an even better discount. Oh well.

It arrived today and my first thought was how it looked like a plastic toy. That is because it is all plastic (polymer) on the outside. I wanted another SSP to go with my HW75 and as much as I love wood and steel, I also knew I could trust Weihrauch, who makes it along with the identical HW40. Picking it up it felt like a toy too, it's very light. Never cared much for fiber optic sights but I knew it wouldn't matter as I always get the irons on a new gun zeroed and then put some kind of optic on due to 74 year old eyes. I knew it would shoot well since it has the same power plant as my HW75.

So, I braved the grey, wet, November weather in the 40's and took it to the backyard range. Lots of surprises there.

I could not hit a thing. My first attempts were offhand at close range, one hand and two hand, and I was clueless where the pellets were going. I moved in from 10 to 3 yards and yup, the sights were on paper at least. I am not that bad with a handgun and the pistol felt good in the hand, seemed steady enough as I let off a shot, but I could not hit anything. So, I got on the bench and shot groups at 10 yards with 10 different pellets. I was getting huge groups at first but then I started experimenting with my hold. It's not a springer so that should not matter but boy did it. When I finally tried a very firm hold it started to shoot. I don't think I ever shot any handgun this badly but with a tight grip it turned out just fine. Benchrest, one hand offhand or two hand offhand it wants to be held tight. Not firm but downright tight. Guess it is the light weight.

Got good groups with all ten pellets but it liked RWS R10 Match the best with one hole groups. The others got good groups if I throw out one flyer because every single one of them had a tight 4 shot group but one flyer. Has to be me.

Turns out I like fiber optic sights after all, at least these particular ones. I can see both front and back dots very clearly and this was in poor light conditions. Heck at my age I can't see anything clearly, much less iron sights. I may try an optic for kicks, but I think this one will be shot with irons.

The trigger is simply outstanding right out of the box. It still looks like a toy pistol, and I still have more to learn about how to get the most out of it, but it is a keeper.
. IMG_0956.jpg

well, a happy ending the trigger can be made better in my opinion but a new trigger adjustment screw has to be made
the one that is there now will bottom out and you have to make one with a longer dog ear, in your case i would leave well enough alone that are not easy to make
https://www.airgunspares.com/2424-hw40-trigger-adjustment-screw.html

Reactions: sjs
Over Thanksgiving I was opening emails from PA promoting Black Friday sales and I have never tried to take advantage of that before, but I was curious about the offers. Before I finished looking at one discount, I would get an email offering a better one. When I thought I had the hang of it I ordered a Beeman P3. About an hour later I got another email offering an even better discount. Oh well.

It arrived today and my first thought was how it looked like a plastic toy. That is because it is all plastic (polymer) on the outside. I wanted another SSP to go with my HW75 and as much as I love wood and steel, I also knew I could trust Weihrauch, who makes it along with the identical HW40. Picking it up it felt like a toy too, it's very light. Never cared much for fiber optic sights but I knew it wouldn't matter as I always get the irons on a new gun zeroed and then put some kind of optic on due to 74 year old eyes. I knew it would shoot well since it has the same power plant as my HW75.

So, I braved the grey, wet, November weather in the 40's and took it to the backyard range. Lots of surprises there.

I could not hit a thing. My first attempts were offhand at close range, one hand and two hand, and I was clueless where the pellets were going. I moved in from 10 to 3 yards and yup, the sights were on paper at least. I am not that bad with a handgun and the pistol felt good in the hand, seemed steady enough as I let off a shot, but I could not hit anything. So, I got on the bench and shot groups at 10 yards with 10 different pellets. I was getting huge groups at first but then I started experimenting with my hold. It's not a springer so that should not matter but boy did it. When I finally tried a very firm hold it started to shoot. I don't think I ever shot any handgun this badly but with a tight grip it turned out just fine. Benchrest, one hand offhand or two hand offhand it wants to be held tight. Not firm but downright tight. Guess it is the light weight.

Got good groups with all ten pellets but it liked RWS R10 Match the best with one hole groups. The others got good groups if I throw out one flyer because every single one of them had a tight 4 shot group but one flyer. Has to be me.

Turns out I like fiber optic sights after all, at least these particular ones. I can see both front and back dots very clearly and this was in poor light conditions. Heck at my age I can't see anything clearly, much less iron sights. I may try an optic for kicks, but I think this one will be shot with irons.

The trigger is simply outstanding right out of the box. It still looks like a toy pistol, and I still have more to learn about how to get the most out of it, but it is a keeper.
.View attachment 410928

Can it kill a pigeon

Harrympope, do you shoot them all with irons?
Can you shoot your P3 with the same hold/technique as your 75?
yes all with irons.I tried a red dot but found it made the action closing awkward.
the P17 ,HW75 and P3 shoot identical(mediocre offhand, on a rest pellet on pellet at 10m ) I do prefer the non fibre optic sights on the P3 for my eyesight.
for an odd reason I like the struggle shooting the HW70,I don't know why?

Disregard my initial comments about fiber optic sights. Tried the red dot today and the pistol is accurate with every pellet I have, no matter how hard or light I hold it. I think the fiber optics were so bright they distorted the image of the target POA I was trying to aim at. Unbelievable how accurate this puppy truly is.

Northwoods22, my manual says I can dry fire it with a half cock, which I do, a lot. Do you think that is something that can be overdone? I don't normally exercise moderation in dry firing.
To the best of my knowledge, you can dry fire it safely. It's mentioned in the manual for mine as well, and I did a bunch of dry fire practice when I first bought it with no ill effects.

Something I learned a couple of years ago concerning the P17/P3s.
I was shooting on a nice warm sunny day and had laid the pistol down to shoot another gun. 30, maybe 45 minutes later, I picked it back up to shoot some more and the sun and heat had cooked the oring. Was quite a surprise when as soon as I closed it up, it blew. Didn't launch the pellet, which I knocked back out before disassembling and replacing it. Took 4 more orings to get it back to shooting as I didn't think to do any deburring or other maintenance while I was in there.

Disregard my initial comments about fiber optic sights. Tried the red dot today and the pistol is accurate with every pellet I have, no matter how hard or light I hold it. I think the fiber optics were so bright they distorted the image of the target POA I was trying to aim at. Unbelievable how accurate this puppy truly is.
I bought a P3 in October and have intermittent eyesight problems (age related). The fiber optic sights, which I really like, can glow brilliantly and sharply—or not—depending on angle of the sun. I don’t know if it only bothers people with cataracts etc, or if it also affects those with excellent vision.

The grip is fairly large in my hands, so I have to be meticulous about where the support hand’s fingers wrap as well as how firmly.

The trigger is so nice that it will spoil me for anything less.