• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Owner Crosman 101

Hi, just getting into airguns, picked up an old Crosman 101, at estate auction, need to figure out how to make it sing.

It fires good, but not consistently pellet ends sitting, in breech. bolt just barely catches. Previous owner ground the peep sight down into an open sight.

Not use what kind of oil to use or where to put it.

Any help appreciated.

Great rifle. Made to put food on the table. Should fire round balls at 600+fps.

Many slight variations. Can be a bit ricky to rebuild in that old seals will be heck to deal with a some "special" tools. But very doable, parts are still available abd several tuners still work on them if needed.

Baker airguns might have sights or be a place to star? Rear sight should have 2 screw holes? Front is on the band. What got ground off?

Some 101 info here:

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/search/label/crosman%20101

Some of them had nice wood from the trash bim acroos the street ( too WILD for making fine funiture back in the day)./

1535361796_14204303735b83c304aa7962.70979741_spysirsai1008.jpg

John

Nice old guns. I got myself. It is currently awaiting funds to go to David Baker for a rebuild. If you open up the pump arm fully you should see where to oil it (mine still has the oil here sticker). If you need a pic. I can take one when I get home tonight. Not sure what you mean about the bolt just catching. The pellet doesent seat in very far if that is what your refering to. Not sure if you visited the crosman site yet but you can still download the user manual for this gun. Also per the manual you want to leave air in the cylinder to keep the valves seated properly. You cant pump up the gun without cocking it. So basically your leaving a cocked gun with no real safety in storage. Man I love the good old days when we wernt a bunch of pansies and.needed all this safety BS.

Crosman 101's are fantastic. 

If you are not getting a good bolt to breech seal there are a few things you can try. 1. Take the barrel set screw out and place a wood block over the muzzle end and using a mallet try to drive the barrel back a smidge. Take care not to damage the crown. It worked on one of mine. 2. You could take the bolt out and build up the locking lug with a braze or weld and file it back down to fit. 3. Drive out the locking lug from the bolt and replace it with a new one. A new one may have to be filed on a bit for a custom fit. JG Airguns carries them.

Precision Pellet carries a reproduction peep and bracket assembly like the ones that came on the 49' Crosman 101. They also carry seal kits if needed.

Post a pic when you get a chance.

Good luck and congrats.

@spysir........That is nice find. Some of the maple stocks are gorgeous on these old rifles. I bought one online a couple weeks ago that had a hint of birdseye peeking through some ugly brown stain. Found out during the stripping process it was just little blobs of stain from a previous owners poor refinish job..What a disappointment. 

I had a 101, but regrettably sold it during my Divorce. It was super accurate with the peep sight. I used Crosman pellgun oil on the lever pivot points. I kept it pumped with 2 pumps, but uncocked. Cock it, pump it 1 or 2x, then carefully hold the cocking knob and squeeze the trigger, slowly lowering the cocking knob. It's now pumped and uncocked. Similar to decocking a lever action Winchester.