New Old Guy Here

A big thank-you to everyone for the warm greeting. As "Susan Candela" posted earlier, "It can definitely get expensive but, you can't take it with you."

I started shooting powder guns in 1950 at age 7, taught and encouraged by my dad and grandfather. I am a member of the NRA, GOA and SAF. I've hunted almost all my life, taking everything but sheep, grizzly and buffalo in North America and Canada. Packing into the Teton Wilderness on horseback for 2 weeks at a time was my favorite way to hunt but those days are now behind me.

The majority of my shooting will be informal in my backyard and small game hunting. In looking for a starting gun, I've been trying to balance performance with versatility. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading on the forum and the new Avenge X seems to check off a lot of positive boxes. I intend to start with a .22 and the ability to upgrade to .25 if the need arises is a big plus.

My biggest confusion right now is with a portable 4500 PSI compressor. One expert says "A" is great and "B" is junk, then another says just the opposite. But wait, expert #3 says they are both junk, you need to get "C".

I have a couple of spare scopes that should be workable and I need to do more reading on modulators.

If you think I'm a bit long-winded now just watch for my posts after the gun safes have been closed and the bourbon cabinet is opened on Friday night.

Hey Chuck, you sound like you and I were raised and went thru the same childhood as I too was a huge powder burner fan for many years. Owned a gunshop for several years as a second job/hobby, was a gunsmith for a while and been shooting airguns for many years. I'm 66 now and live on a small farm ajacent to the residential edge of town. I can shoot anything I want here, but to keep peace with my great neighbors, I now stick to airguns.
I've had almost every airgun coming and going, except a few, so if I can ever help you out feel free to message me. I love to talk guns, airguns, and shooting all day long.
If you're going to go pcp, and I think it a very wise choice, then the first thing I'd look for is an air setup. Is there a fill station/dive shop/fire station near you that you can con into filling a cylinder? It's not like the old days, I used to get air almost anywhere. The local fire stations have quit due to liability, dang lawyers! The good news is a 4500 psi compressor is very easy to obtain at under $350, and will fill any gun I can think of. After you figure out the air, the rest is downhill, but beware, it's a slippery slope. I'm down to eight pcp rifles, and three compressors, right now...notice I said down, it's hard to stop!
Best of luck, pal, and welcome!

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm an 80 yo new guy to air guns. My son gave me a Diana .22 350 mag for my birthday last year and while it's been fun I'm getting the itch to upgrade to a PCP. I have a lot of reading and learning to do and it looks like this is just the place to do it.
You will jump with both feet into the rabbit hole lol. PCP is expensive to get a proper setup but man it's a friken blast.

Reactions: Chuck43
Welcome Chuck. I like your signature line. Amen.
Lots of good folks here with great information.
I have only been at this for just over a year now. My newbie advice is to buy the quality you are comfortable with and jump right in.
The best teacher is experience.
Mostly have fun. You have earned it.
What part of the world do you shoot in?

Doc

Hey Doc, I'm located in semi rural Southern Michigan on the Grand River.

Hey Chuck, you sound like you and I were raised and went thru the same childhood as I too was a huge powder burner fan for many years. Owned a gunshop for several years as a second job/hobby, was a gunsmith for a while and been shooting airguns for many years. I'm 66 now and live on a small farm ajacent to the residential edge of town. I can shoot anything I want here, but to keep peace with my great neighbors, I now stick to airguns.
I've had almost every airgun coming and going, except a few, so if I can ever help you out feel free to message me. I love to talk guns, airguns, and shooting all day long.
If you're going to go pcp, and I think it a very wise choice, then the first thing I'd look for is an air setup. Is there a fill station/dive shop/fire station near you that you can con into filling a cylinder? It's not like the old days, I used to get air almost anywhere. The local fire stations have quit due to liability, dang lawyers! The good news is a 4500 psi compressor is very easy to obtain at under $350, and will fill any gun I can think of. After you figure out the air, the rest is downhill, but beware, it's a slippery slope. I'm down to eight pcp rifles, and three compressors, right now...notice I said down, it's hard to stop!
Best of luck, pal, and welcome!

Hey bchannell, I live in the country in Southern Michigan and not liking the idea of having to travel for air, so a compressor is a must-have. I have to admit that reading and watching video's haven't help much in making a decision on a compressor. For every yeah I read on any compressor, there is a nay. As the owner of 3 compressors, I'd appreciate it if you could give me your opinion on what to look for or avoid.

Chuck- I have done a considerable amount of research on compressors. My original was a cheap Asian brand, often copied but not improved. I watched many videos, esp. on Target Forge YouTube. Bill Ruehl is quite technical and does lots of work on the GX models.
This Asian product is different in technology even to the very expensive English and American compressors. It has roller bearings, separates the HP and LP portions to reduce heat generation with separate high volume cooling fans for each area. It is slower but stays “cool” during fills. I put an additional separator on mine to insure dry air gets into my rifle’s air tank. It is also easy to repair!

Urge you to visit the many videos on GX compressors at Target Forge YouTube site.

Last edited:
Chuck- I have done a considerable amount of research on compressors. My original was a cheap Asian brand, often copied but not improved. I watched many videos, esp. on Target Forge YouTube. Bill Reilly is quite technical and does lots of work on the GX models.
This Asian product is different in technology even to the very expensive English and American compressors. It has roller bearings, separates the HP and LP portions to reduce heat generation with separate high volume cooling fans for each area. It is slower but stays “cool” during fills. I put an additional separator on mine to insure dry air gets into my rifle’s air tank. It is also easy to repair!

Urge you to visit the many videos on GX compressors at Target Forge YouTube site.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll be heading there right after I refill my :coffee:

There is a Omega Air Charger for sale in the classified section. Buy it. I bought mine 3 years ago and its a work horse.
Of course i upgraded to a Daystate Leggero. Now the Omega is a "backup". I also have a Omega pocket charger(battery) just in case!! I never fill without running the air thru a Joe B. filter. The Daystate has one built in.

carry on.

daystate leggero comp.JPG

omega air charger.JPG

There is a Omega Air Charger for sale in the classified section. Buy it. I bought mine 3 years ago and its a work horse.
Of course i upgraded to a Daystate Leggero. Now the Omega is a "backup". I also have a Omega pocket charger(battery) just in case!! I never fill without running the air thru a Joe B. filter. The Daystate has one built in.

carry on.

View attachment 439922

View attachment 439923
I see a battery powered GX over there.......mine has worked quite well, but I am not an every day user.

Welcome & consider all the advice.
I spent way too much but it’s my only hobby along with archery and calisthenics, reading.

I started out the same and had a bunch. They’re all great but you probably will be better off getting a good simple PCP like a RTI or something straight forward, especially if just pesting or plinking.
Dual regs and such are for target competition

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm an 80 yo new guy to air guns. My son gave me a Diana .22 350 mag for my birthday last year and while it's been fun I'm getting the itch to upgrade to a PCP. I have a lot of reading and learning to do and it looks like this is just the place to do it.
Welcome

Don't do it Chuck, it's going to get really expensive...
:ROFLMAO:

Air rifles are fun! Welcome to the forum.
Do it, brother. I'm 83 going on 23. What better place to piss away your hard-earned 401k money than on airguns. Better than golf for sure. Your profile doesn't show, but where do you live?

A big thank-you to everyone for the warm greeting. As "Susan Candela" posted earlier, "It can definitely get expensive but, you can't take it with you."

I started shooting powder guns in 1950 at age 7, taught and encouraged by my dad and grandfather. I am a member of the NRA, GOA and SAF. I've hunted almost all my life, taking everything but sheep, grizzly and buffalo in North America and Canada. Packing into the Teton Wilderness on horseback for 2 weeks at a time was my favorite way to hunt but those days are now behind me.

The majority of my shooting will be informal in my backyard and small game hunting. In looking for a starting gun, I've been trying to balance performance with versatility. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading on the forum and the new Avenge X seems to check off a lot of positive boxes. I intend to start with a .22 and the ability to upgrade to .25 if the need arises is a big plus.

My biggest confusion right now is with a portable 4500 PSI compressor. One expert says "A" is great and "B" is junk, then another says just the opposite. But wait, expert #3 says they are both junk, you need to get "C".

I have a couple of spare scopes that should be workable and I need to do more reading on modulators.

If you think I'm a bit long-winded now just watch for my posts after the gun safes have been closed and the bourbon cabinet is opened on Friday night.
Just want to say I love your signature!

Chuck as someone who has already (fairly recently) gone through it I would advise to start out with just one really, really nice rifle, like a Daystate (electronic or not) Air Arms, BSA, Steyer semi-auto, American Air Arms Evol, FX Crown etc, and forego the cheaper guns. With that one rifle you will get full enjoyment out of the quality, performance, accuracy, reliability and pride of ownership, and won't end up with a safe full of rifles you rarely shoot. As a powder burner, if you consider yourself a "rifle looney," the same thing can happen with PCPs. - for air go with GX CS4 compressor and a 550ci tank for Air Tanks Plus.

CS4.jpg