New Old Guy Here

Chuck as someone who has already (fairly recently) gone through it I would advise to start out with just one really, really nice rifle, like a Daystate (electronic or not) Air Arms, BSA, Steyer semi-auto, American Air Arms Evol, FX Crown etc, and forego the cheaper guns. With that one rifle you will get full enjoyment out of the quality, performance, accuracy, reliability and pride of ownership, and won't end up with a safe full of rifles you rarely shoot. As a powder burner, if you consider yourself a "rifle looney," the same thing can happen with PCPs. - for air go with GX CS4 compressor and a 550ci tank for Air Tanks Plus.
I agree that while many say start with a lower price model on the lower spectrum of quality to make sure you like it and to learn; but since you are a powder burner I do not think that is a good choice. I used to shoot my Barretta 9mm and rifles, etc. but in my opinion most love air guns and most end up shoot more like 70% of the time air vis bullets. To me some of the big reasons is that this technology now has really advanced with power, quality, and many caliber, and a major plus is no more maintenance. Let me repeat no more spending hours to clean your barrel and taking apart the action, etc. to clean after you shoot!

I recommend to start off with the Huben GK1 in .22 or .25 pistol. Yes a pistol but it is semi-auto with either 19 or 17 rounds in the magazine and the action is a proven platform to be reliable as they use that in their rifles for years and still do. This pistol puts out a maximum of 70 or 81 foot pounds! That will rival power of many of those lower priced air rifles and this pistol is insanely accurate! There are now many inexpensive accessories as this is one of the most in demand pistols. The main accessory is an inexpensive picatinny mount for the rear of the pistol which enables you to put a folding carbine stock. That is why I recommend this as a first gun because you get a pistol with rifle power that is a blast to shoot as it is semi-auto and when you attach the folding carbine stock now you have 3 points to hold it stable and now you have essentially a rifle and pistol all in one!

Shoot that for say 2-6 months then get a high quality powerful air rifle. The you will have two guns that will fit most every application from plinking, target, pistol, light game hunting with the Huben and then with your powerful rifle you have a slug/pellet rifle to do bigger game from hogs to turkey, etc. and long range target and hunting. What "orangeoki" mentioned would be good options for a rifle but one I want to mention that is brand new to be released in a few months or so is the RTI Mora in .357. That I think will be akin to the Huben as a popular game changer for the rifle category. The reason is that is has insane power, accuracy and shot count. This will shoot slugs over 110 grain over 950 FPS, with capacity to shoot many many rounds per charge, and it groups 1" MOA easily at 100 yards.

https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...-count-coming-this-year.1307710/#post-1689247

Yes the Huben GK1 is $1250 and a high quality air rifle like the Mora or an FX, Daystate, Skout, etc. will be on the more expensive side but you won't waste money on guns that take up space and you never shoot. Plus compared to shooting my old 9mm or 223's air gun ammo is cheap as dirt! The money you save on ammo makes them a short payback even when you spend $1200 to $3K on the gun.

Chuck- I have done a considerable amount of research on compressors. My original was a cheap Asian brand, often copied but not improved. I watched many videos, esp. on Target Forge YouTube. Bill Reilly is quite technical and does lots of work on the GX models.
This Asian product is different in technology even to the very expensive English and American compressors. It has roller bearings, separates the HP and LP portions to reduce heat generation with separate high volume cooling fans for each area. It is slower but stays “cool” during fills. I put an additional separator on mine to insure dry air gets into my rifle’s air tank. It is also easy to repair!

Urge you to visit the many videos on GX compressors at Target Forge YouTube site.
Patrick1, you are the man. I took your advice and checked out the video's at Target Forge on YouTube. I liked what I saw and ordered a GX CS3-I from Amazon. I won't get it until Sunday, but I'm already looking at getting an additional separator for it.

Reactions: Patrick1