• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Neighbors!

Hi guys, I am getting new neighbors. It's only a matter of time before they ask why there are targets all over my backyard. I have met them once and they seem like nice folks. Thet are not moved in yet. The first thing they asked about was my dirt bike track. I know the target question was coming but we were cut short on our conversation before it came up. I use some of the bigger berms and jumps as backstops.
How would you guys go about telling new neighbors about your favorite hobby? Should I sit out there with a red ryder or some cheap dept store unit to keep them from getting too worried, or should I show them a very nice one like my air arms 410 with a beautiful stock so they know I am serious about this.
There is potential to open a can of worms here and I do not want to do that. I need my backyard range! My shooting shack is near their house but facing the opposite direction. So, all pellets fly away from their place.
Looking forward to hearing your reply's! Thanks guys!
Mike

Is it legal to shoot in your yard where you are? If so let them ask and tell them that it is apart of your hobby and leave it at that. If they give you crap and start asking more and getting confrontational tell them to leave and stay on their property.

Though if they are OK with the dirt bikes, I am sure they would be fine with the targets

I would think the dirt bike track would be far more important to a neighbor than relatively quiet pellet rifles. How did that part of the conversation go? I know I would never buy a home next to any kind of race track whether private backyard acreage type or commercial, too much noise and dust for me. The shooting part depends on laws in your area, I see you live in Washington state, good luck with that if the new neighbors complain to law enforcement.

I have targets every 25 the whole way out to 100 yards in my back yard. I keep either a Webley pump or a springer in the corner of my dining room for when someone pops the question. Only one guy was curious enough to ask if I can actually hit something that far with the gun I showed him. He was delivering a refrigerator to my house. I just said its fun to try. I’m a fly below the radar guy when it comes to activities that are fun. Most people seem to hate fun. Loud mower? Nobody cares. Kid on mini bike? It’s unbearable, call the cops.

You might ask local law enforcement what the law is where you live. If it’s legal then keep it as friendly as you can and keep it safe. Some people are only happy when they’re unhappy about something. Fortunately for me it’s legal here, my neighbors don’t care and aren’t here often anyway. I also keep it safe.

Rick H.

Hmmmm......good luck with them if they started off by asking about the dirt bike track. Hard to imagine they didn't do due diligence and look into surrounding property use using google map and even come and talk to you before purchasing if the track was going to be an issue (I would have). Unless their family rides and they want to come join you I would be cautious of these people. Nobody wants neighbors who move in having full knowledge of what you're doing with the intent of getting you to stop because they don't like it and know they can. Research ordinances in your area, know your rights and be prepared to present them politely but firmly.

With regards to the air rifle, if it's legal to shoot an air rifle on your property and you are doing so safely you should have little to worry about there. Wait till the neighbor brings it up, answer their questions and in the end let them know that your are in full compliance with local ordinances. Don't show them the gun (never tell them how many you have) or go into details unless they ask and then play down any discussion about power, lethality, etc. You don't shoot firearms, you play with pellet guns, period. Don't make it a big deal. And don't tell them how many ground squirrels you kill, not everyone appreciates knowing that.

If it is not legal to shoot then you are going to have a fine balancing act to perform with that neighbor because the potentially annoying dirt bike riding, even if not illegal, could be deemed a nuisance, disturbing the peace and denying your neighbors quiet enjoyment of their property depending on your manner of riding. You may have to offer to make some concessions to when and how long you ride (i.e., meet them in the middle) to prevent them from punishing you for riding your dirt bike by taking away your air gun shooting. If they're smart they will meet you in the middle too, expecting if they piss you off on one front you may ramp up the other.

Sorry Brother, but I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. I hope it works out for you and your neighbor. Start out friendly, courteous and tread gently. It may not change the final outcome of things but at least you'll know you took the high road. If push comes to shove, in the end the law will prevail.

Last edited:
I kept new neighbors from moving in for a while by starting up my Honda 250r atc and flying around my backyard everytime there was a walk through at the house for sale. The realtor knew what I was doing and finally started bringing people while I was at work. Now I have another neighbor that I hate.

You will find out after they move in… Maybe invite the husband over to shoot so he can see for himself how safely you go about it. I rather have a safe shooter next door than a dirt bike track🙀! Who were the previous neighbors? And were they tolerant of your backyard hobbies?
You got it wrong. When he's not around invite HER over to shoot ;)

Hi guys, I am getting new neighbors. It's only a matter of time before they ask why there are targets all over my backyard. I have met them once and they seem like nice folks. Thet are not moved in yet. The first thing they asked about was my dirt bike track. I know the target question was coming but we were cut short on our conversation before it came up. I use some of the bigger berms and jumps as backstops.
How would you guys go about telling new neighbors about your favorite hobby? Should I sit out there with a red ryder or some cheap dept store unit to keep them from getting too worried, or should I show them a very nice one like my air arms 410 with a beautiful stock so they know I am serious about this.
There is potential to open a can of worms here and I do not want to do that. I need my backyard range! My shooting shack is near their house but facing the opposite direction. So, all pellets fly away from their place.
Looking forward to hearing your reply's! Thanks guys!
Mike
I’m not sure I understand the logic of starting out with a Red Ryder. How about a sawn off shotgun? When they object, you can show them what a great neighbor you are by downgrading to the Air Arms.

But seriously, did you send them a meal yet for the move in? And take over a fruit basket this week.
I was a little wild when younger and Susie (sweetest adorable girl that anybody will love) and I had our first house. Me, with loud fast bikes and going in and out with guns and stuff. Neighbors would hear me a mile away winding it up and rowing the shifter. Some thought I was a little cuckoo and maybe I was.....BUT I always shoveled snow for them. Gave out home made Christmas cookies (Yes! I make some of the best you ever had. Ask for my famous Sand Tart recipe I guarantee better than Gramma's). Everybody knew I had their back. And they had mine. Few exceptions ever.
E491304B-DE27-45DE-A713-64A8B9F19812.jpeg
F2782F14-FD97-4C04-902E-D89777899C32.jpeg

I kept new neighbors from moving in for a while by starting up my Honda 250r atc and flying around my backyard everytime there was a walk through at the house for sale. The realtor knew what I was doing and finally started bringing people while I was at work. Now I have another neighbor that I hate.
Nothing more scary than a guy flying around on a lawsuit trike. Most people nowadays probably stand there and think WTF is that nut driving. All my buddies personal tracks got shut down when they switched to 4 strokes. It was a losing battle. I recently had to deal with a person that bought a neighbors house and felt everything had to change to suit his family. Didn’t matter what all the neighbors did for the last 30 years. Now that he’s here it has to change. It didn’t work out so well for him. We didn’t budge because we weren’t breaking any laws or ordinances.

Being discreet works best for me, seems everything out in full display rules that out. Chances both will be forever happy with dirt bikes and target shooting seems remote. There's a reason they say fences make good neighbors. Not envious of your situation, especially if anything goes against local ordinances. Best of Luck, WM

Reactions: SHOMER
Nothing more scary than a guy flying around on a lawsuit trike. Most people nowadays probably stand there and think WTF is that nut driving. All my buddies personal tracks got shut down when they switched to 4 strokes. It was a losing battle. I recently had to deal with a person that bought a neighbors house and felt everything had to change to suit his family. Didn’t matter what all the neighbors did for the last 30 years. Now that he’s here it has to change. It didn’t work out so well for him. We didn’t budge because we weren’t breaking any laws or ordinances.
This is the reason I tried to keep someone from moving in, and lo and behold, that's the exact type of person that moved in. And he's even worse than that. Dude tore down my fence to build his own without asking me and broke my gate hasp and trespassed into my backyard to paint it, again without asking me.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Wow, thanks for all the replies! Lots of good ideas here! I am way out in the country and zoned heavy industrial. Shooting a real gun is legal in my yard.
Corps of engineer's land across the street where people hunt every day during bird season. Lots of gunfire noise! They did seem concerned with the track but I mentioned that I'm old and don't ride out there that much these days. Which is true. I would rather go ride trails now. They actually seemed ok with it and said they had a 15-year-old son who might like to learn to ride dirt bikes now that they live in the country! So that was good. I enjoy teaching people to ride. Maybe that will work out.
My previous neighbor was great! He did not care at all what I did back there. Told me stories of hunting coyotes from his front porch back in the day.
And racing Hodaka's with open pipes too. He loved my bikes. At the end he was very old and had no idea I was shooting but would not have cared.
He passed at 84yrs old. The other Neighbors are good with it too. I have one who has VERY loud rodeo's all summer until the wee hours!
With giant Marshall speaker stacks playing live Mariachi band music. No problem.
I have lived here for 23 years so far. One other neighbor had a mini bike track that was super annoying even to a 47 year dirt bike guy.
For some reason the China bikes do not come with functional mufflers! And he had 10-15 guys over at once.
All day. Every weekend. But nobody complained.
I thought about going for a rip every time someone came by to look at the house. Instead I stacked dirt bike tires next to my shop so any potential buyers could see them and the track to hopefully put two and two together. The targets were also visible to anyone who looked into my yard.
My thought on the red ryder or other low powered gun was to maybe minimize the concern for me shooting high powered airguns back there.
I thought maybe it would be better if they think I am shooting kids guns. I have lots of vintage pumps and cO2 guns that seem much less intimidating than others I own. I have no idea how they might feel about guns. Might be city folk! To me the air arms is an elegant looking rifle. It is the one that all my PB buddies ask about and want to know more about airguns.
I do like the food idea! My wife loves to cook and she is all over that! Diners, candy, treats all headed their way!
I also have a bunch of photos of wild animals I took in their backyard. Deer, eagles, owls, etc. I thought I would print some of the nicer ones to give them.
. I have a ton of trees and might just relocate the shooting shack to a place where they can't see it. But that would be less then fun. We moved it about 15 ft once and it was not easy. But if it comes to that I will.
Thanks so much for all the ideas and things to consider. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

I have some new neighbors. on their first day Thay came over as I was BBQing and announced that Thay were vegan and would like for me not to BBQ!!? I told them my name and that I was a carnivore and would not be granting the request! That afternoon I get a call from the HOA (that I don't belong to), asking me to limit my BBQ activities! or face a fine. When I pointed out that I'm not a part of the HOA, and that I would not be complying with the request, I was asked to join the HOA!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I told the HOA pres NO chance, and to have a nice day. Neighbor disputes can be a trying situation, even if you are within the rules and laws.