My name is Bobby and I am new here.

I have a couple Questions. Number 1 Can a new to air gun shooter expect a good group out of these things I am on a very tight budget and can't but the best but as a Old compition shooter i was hoping for better than I am getting.

I have tried sevaral pellets and it kinda wants to shoot one of the more costly pellets( about an inch at 27yards).But I can only get these by Mail and Postage is eating me up.

Tried different holds. Three different Scopes. Groups suck..

Why is barrel droop common on airguns I have had lots of firearms and never had a drooping barrel.

I have .22 and a .177 and niether shoot what I call good. What normal?

Thanks for the help

Also barrel droop is pretty common with break barrels. Not all of them have it, but obviously it is common compared to powder burners. If you have something like an Hw30 you can have a droopy barrel and still shoot flies though, so it mostly depends on your sight alignment and understanding where your zero is. Try shimming you’re scope, as that is the easiest solution. The droop is caused usually by barrel alignment or something along those lines or the barrel not being pushed far enough back to the barrel bushings. You see that issue a lot with guns with lower quality manufactures too. Hope that helps. 

Try the shimming.

I should have posted this in my post. I have a Benjamim Rushmore. I bought used cause that is what I can afford. It is .22. It looked like new so I thought I go a good deal but I bought someones problem.

I also have a F4 in .177. It does not have barrel droop. But it don't shoot well.

I did trigger work to both so it 's not like pulling an anvil down a gravel road.

Thanks

Could be many issues....

Why did the first owner sell the Benjamin? Is the barrel messed up ? Or some other issues with the rifle? What scopes & rings did you try? The F4 is a entry level budget gun. It can be challenging getting top performance out of an $80 dollar gun.

You may want to search around on this forum for budget friendly accurate rifles that would suit your needs.

Many folks on this forum are getting 1" groups at 100 yards and beyond. 

-Duke

BEFORE SHOOTING ALWAYS Calm down, take a few deep breaths, breathe in through nose out through mouth. Must remember to breathe very important. Ready? Must talk. Imagine road... Walk on road, right side safe, left side safe, walk in middle, squished just like grape. Here Airgunning same thing. Either you Airgunning do-yes or Airgunning do-no. You Airgunning do- "guess so", "squished" just like grape. Understand? Now ready...

Welcome to the forum, Bobby.

I grew up hunting and, like you, thought my results with air rifles were beneath my knowledge and ability: but I learned...

950fps for a .22 cal is a hot shooter--actually a magnum-level shooter. These guns (regardless of caliber) I now stay away from, since they are harder to tame and shoot with ease. There's just a lot to do on the shooter's part to harness the power of this magnum platform. OTOH, keep practicing. First, start out at 10-15 yards and then work your way out. If you aren't hitting the bullseye at 10 or 15, then it certainly won't happen at greater distances. Second, have you investigated the artillery hold? Or experimented with where your hands grip (and how tightly) the rifle? Or, what about how you are snugging the rifle to your shoulder? Or, are you shooting off a rest (without your hand underneath or not)? All I'm trying to convey is that these rifles can be both fantastic (for fpe take down) and a pain in the "petuties." 

My two that shoot at higher FPS are VERY pellet picky--shooting well only pellets in the (.177 cal) 8.2-8.64 grains (plus one 10 gr pellet thus far) range. Hence, neither rifle shoot the lower cost Crosman Premier HPs. However, they do shoot JSB, H&N, and RWS equally well. My guess is, that the weight of the pellet really matters, not the maker. 

Overcoming and arriving with magnum springers is possible (and very rewarding). Along the way, I caved and bought better made and slower shooting springers. These I love to shoot so much more. Over a year later, I can now do (but with less consistency) with my lower cost, higher fps shooting guns what I can do with ease with my higher cost, lower fps shooting guns. DON'T GIVE UP. Have fun and be safe. Such challenges make us better (hopefully).

Arch_E

Thanks for the kind replies. I will keep working on it. I had watched a lot of Youtube and read a lot of forum post before I bought my Benjamim and thought I had a small idea of what to expect. I was fooled.

I bought the F4 at a flea market so I did not have such high hopes for it. I put a cheap scope on it. I have not had much time to fool around with it. I shoots minute of barn door every time I have tried it. I did shoot two poker chips back to back at 27 yards. Its one moment of glory.

the Benjamim has been a pill. I expect much more from it. I have tried at least six types of pellets,three scopes, and four set of scope rings.(forth set in mail). I have had the scope off and on that it almost will do it by its self. I have three shims under the scope just to get with the scopes range.its been the same with each scope. I have a 30mm scope on it now.

Another thing it will shoot a fairly good group with pellet "X" one time and the next time it won't shoot at all and hour later. The Dioblo14.35 seem to shoot the best every time I test them. I want to try the Crossmam Domes but I have not found them yet.

I know about the hold and being calm. I learnt years ago about counting Heartbeats and trigger control. 

The battle continues.

Thanks

Hi Bobby, I have a .22 Cal RWS 52 that is a HAMMER at 23 fpe.

like most springers it is very hold sensitive, it has taken some time for me to get to know how it likes to be held.. when I first got it I was shooting 3" groups at 30 yards but now I can shoot nickel sized groups easily and sometimes under a dime sized group.

trigger time is the best way you can achieve the gun and your potential

welcome to the group and enjoy your new adventure

Mark 

-Duke

Many folks on this forum are getting 1" groups at 100 yards and beyond.

And many more are not. A lot of us go out and shoot 20 groups, maybe talk about four or five, and take a picture of one! I think it's important that a new air gun shooter learns the reality of the sport, and forms realistic expectations. Average MOA accuracy at 100 yards is exceptional, very exceptional. And, it's not going to happen at the price point discussed above. 

Bulletbob, I don't believe you mentioned the level of accuracy you wish to attain. It could be you will have to reconsider your budget, or, as my son once told me, get a bigger target!

Bobby, this is a great place to start and a greater place to be if you're willing to listen and learn. There's a lot of options and opinions as well as experience but you have to be willing to pay the price in order to stay in the game. You have to start somewhere, again this is the place to learn when talking about airguns and what makes them tick. Go as far as you're willing to go within your budget but it can not only be addictive but expensive as well and I've had the disease for decades.

Ok I have some good advice for you. Number one ditch the shims. Springers are violent recoilers. Every time I have shimmed a springer it either moved the reticle every shot or it broke the scope. Buy a utg or other brand 20 or 40 moa rail and use blue locktight after tightening the bolts. Clean the barrel with a patch worm cleaning kit and ballistol until almost no color comes off patch. Also look up artillery hold on youtube and watch a couple videos. I'm not an expert but I generally find the balance point on the rifle and and start my hold there. Key being lightly holding it with the front hand and butt stock resting gently on the shoulder. Do not firmly press in like a powder burner. Really watch the videos and try new things until it works. Lastly you should get a scope that is rated for springers. Utg, hawke, swfa, luepold are my go to scopes. Utg and hawk are very sturdy on the low end. I prefer hawk vantage scopes over utg. Also put a piece of toilet paper over the breech seal and shoot. If the tissue flies off you have a bad seal. Good luck friend.