Hello everyone!

New member here. Been shooting centerfire and rimfire all my life, but fairly new to airguns in a serious way (but shot Crossman BB and pellet guns as a kid). Started out with a .177 Air Arms TX200 about 2 years ago, then purchased a Benjamin Kratos .22 PCP about 18 months ago. Just shooting benchrest with a friend for bragging rights, but no competition (yet). After a nightmare with my Kratos (more on that latter), I'm now starting to think about a high end PCP, so decided to join Airgun Nation the other day after lurking here for the past year or so...lol

Cheers!

Welcome. And since you’ve been lurking a few months are you leaning toward any particular high end PCPs?

Right now, I'm leaning towards a .22 FX Crown Continuum. But also, I like the looks and range reports on the RAW HM1000x. I'm waiting on a new Lothar Walther barrel for my Kratos that I've ordered, and as I'm nearing the end of the shooting season for me, I've told myself to slow down and absorb all the range reports here and on YouTube and buy a new PCP over the winter months to be ready to shoot it next Spring. But patience is not my strong suit...lol

In the meantime, a friend of mine just bought a very slightly used FX Maverick Sniper that is shooting lights out at 50 yards (true 3/8" to 1/2" groups over and over again). So, I'll also be shooting it and deciding if I may want a Maverick or Impact M3 instead. In other words, I'm all over the place right now...lol

And your budget?

$2000 to $3000 all in on the rifle (not including a scope). Would prefer to stay under $2500, but that $2500 to $3000 range has some very nice rifles that I may talk myself into...lol

And the thing is, I can find very few targets actually shot on YouTube at 50 yards that are better than my friend's Maverick. And if I bought a Daystate Red Wolf, for instance, that ultimately can't shoot as well, I would be sick. So, I'm trying to balance my desire for a beautiful wood stock PCP rifle with my quest for accuracy. That's why I'm telling myself to slow down and be sure before I buy.

Last edited:
Hi KJ, You sound like you may want to get involved with what my pursuits have been since last May. I have prior 3 position rimfire, and 10 meter air rifle experience. For a full year was doing lots of 10 meter, and then discovered outdoor air rifle, 50 yard and 100 yard, got a FX Crown GRS, as it has the position stock. Have been really absorbed in this and shoot every evening.
I had my own way of doing things, and learned thru experience, the tuning and what pressure and slug/pellet to be shot. Trigger advice, lots of other little things, that all add up.
There is a thread on my process here, https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/fx-crown-grs-continuum-standing-position.1290290/

Reactions: KodiakJac
KJ, I wish I had seen this thread when it first was posted. I had the idea of low velocity for standing, due to my background. But due to spin rotation vs velocity ratio, low velocity has its expected flyers at 100 yards, see this thread. Am presently in the middle of working out the correct recipe, so I can get back to 100 yards again. All is well at 50 yards. I believe this holds true for all air rifle, slugs and pellets.

Hello everyone!

New member here. Been shooting centerfire and rimfire all my life, but fairly new to airguns in a serious way (but shot Crossman BB and pellet guns as a kid). Started out with a .177 Air Arms TX200 about 2 years ago, then purchased a Benjamin Kratos .22 PCP about 18 months ago. Just shooting benchrest with a friend for bragging rights, but no competition (yet). After a nightmare with my Kratos (more on that latter), I'm now starting to think about a high end PCP, so decided to join Airgun Nation the other day after lurking here for the past year or so...lol

Cheers!
Welcome

$2000 to $3000 all in on the rifle (not including a scope). Would prefer to stay under $2500, but that $2500 to $3000 range has some very nice rifles that I may talk myself into...lol

And the thing is, I can find very few targets actually shot on YouTube at 50 yards that are better than my friend's Maverick. And if I bought a Daystate Red Wolf, for instance, that ultimately can't shoot as well, I would be sick. So, I'm trying to balance my desire for a beautiful wood stock PCP rifle with my quest for accuracy. That's why I'm telling myself to slow down and be sure before I buy.
Many times accuracy is dependent on the right tune for the pellet barrel combination

Welcome aboard former lurker. Just a heads up, Pesty3782 (Tony P.) has an FX Crown in the Classifieds for a great price with, I believe, a .22 & .25 barrels. ALL his guns are meticulously cared for & his honesty & credibility are 11 on a scale of 10. SOMEBODY is going to be thrilled getting that gun! Hope you can check it out. Again, WELCOME!
(Ad is on pg 3 or 4 of classifieds)

welcome KJ , I would think the RAW HM1000x would fit your shooting as of now ,and in the future .
Your not very far from the RAW shop (an hour ? give him a cal , maybe you can talk to them and hold one , see how it fits , and think about repairs if you ever need that .

why would you have to stop shooting over the winter ? Middle TN is ok all year . I live about an hour north of you .

Two very good suggestions. I own both the Maverick Sniper in 25 cal as well as the RAW. Two entirely different guns. With good tuning the Maverick will shoot very well at 100 yards, and even beyond. But tuning is necessary for this. The RAW is best left alone and with it's unchoked barrel will even do well at 100 yards with slugs.

Welcome to the darkside and whichever rifle you decide on, leave plenty in your budget for a high quality, distortion free scope. Perhaps one that you are already familiar with from powder burner shooting?

Welcome aboard former lurker. Just a heads up, Pesty3782 (Tony P.) has an FX Crown in the Classifieds for a great price with, I believe, a .22 & .25 barrels. ALL his guns are meticulously cared for & his honesty & credibility are 11 on a scale of 10. SOMEBODY is going to be thrilled getting that gun! Hope you can check it out. Again, WELCOME!
(Ad is on pg 3 or 4 of classifieds)

Will take a look at it. Thanks! (y)

welcome KJ , I would think the RAW HM1000x would fit your shooting as of now ,and in the future .
Your not very far from the RAW shop (an hour ? give him a cal , maybe you can talk to them and hold one , see how it fits , and think about repairs if you ever need that .

why would you have to stop shooting over the winter ? Middle TN is ok all year . I live about an hour north of you .

Didn't realize RAW was in Tennessee. Will give them a call to see if they allow visitors.

Regarding shooting in winter, I'm cold averse...lol Around the 1st of Nov I huddle up and go into hibernation and don't come out until the sun is warm again...lol