• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New member, new rifle and thanks!

TL;DR version at the end for those of you with rat terrier attention spans.

So I spent the last few weeks lurking and reading while doing my research. A lot of great info and helpful people. Finally decided on a Regal XL .22 for my first quality air rifle and after a few messages with @DonnyFL, paired it with one of his Koi moderators. This morning I got to shoot a few groups before the rain set in and I was blown away.

To understand why, humor me a bit while I give some background. I'm 56 years old and spent my childhood back in the late 60's, early 70's roaming the NC woods with a Daisy pellet rifle (880 I think). My dad was a WWII vet, US Army and it rubbed off so I ended up in the Army in '84, 1/504th PIR, 82ABN. Keep in mind, I'd never fired an actual centerfire or even a rimfire until basic when I shot 40/40 qualifying and the Drill Sergeant thought I was lying after he asked me how I learned to shoot and I replied, "a pellet gun". So off to Ft. Bragg, humping a ruck totin' an M-16 like a good infantryman. One thing leads to another and I'm picked up to shoot on the All Army rifle team for 2 years (1st place '86, 2nd in '87), then AMTU Sniper Course (AMTC now and all moved to Ft. Benning), then a short stint as Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor (M-16).

So for my short 4 year enlistment I did a crap load of shooting and came out with a serious case of constant tinnitus (ringing ears). I gave up centerfire after that except for an AR-15 I put together and migrated to rimfire mostly. My bull barreled CZ .22 LR is my tack driver favorite but I haven't even shot in almost 10 years because I got off on this motorcycle kick (Mid-life crisis?) around 2008. And that is why I'm blown away with this Regal. I setup at about 15yds to check the scope zero for my first shoot and to get familiar with the rifle... one hole groups. Set the target out to 50yds... groups were one ragged hole, covered most with a dime and I'm old and rusty mates. This thing is amazing so I screwed the silencer on, thinking it might hurt the group spread... nope, one ragged hole. And so quiet, my ears are in heaven and I'm in love.

There you have it. I remember devouring Beeman catalogs back in the early '80's and lusting over the R1, thinking one day I'm going to have me one of these quality air rifles. Better late than never, eh? Thanks for reading, I admit to total ignorance concerning airguns and hope to learn all I can from you lot. Sorry for the wall of text.

1527347464_4048924145b097908b9beb1.91237552_Regal_XL.png

TL;DR version: After all these years I finally got me a nice air rifle and I learned plenty from this forum, along with DonnyFl, some youtube channels like AEAC(Steve?), Ted's Holdover, Cyclops, etc. Sorry, I'm still learning these names that match the channels. All I know is I'm happier than a pig in S&*@ 
cheers

Reactions: Michael
Thats awesome,. Thanks for your service. Coincidentally, I just have my DONNYFL suppressed Impact X .30 outside shooting with the neighbor. I too have a loud noise issue. He was amazed at the accuracy and lack of noise level. Another person that had no clue but wants to be "in" with the cool kids. 

Most of us state side aren't hunting in the 500 yard range so AIR is the way to go. 

Thanks Michael. I'm pretty impressed with this baby. Thing is, AoA didn't even send what I read were some of the favorite loads. I ordered JSB 15.89 and 18.13gr. They didn't send the 15.89gr, they sent FX brand 16gr and those are what I was shooting. I can't wait to see what the JSB 15.89 will do along with some others. Honestly, I haven't been so excited since I was a kid and my Dad got me the 880 for my birthday. I was torn between the Streamline, the Wolverine R HP and the Regal. I think I just finally went for the Regal because the classic look/form just reminds me of my CZ, plus I'm using an MK4 pump. 210 bar might make things a bit easier until I can cough up enough for a compressor.

Thanks EMrider, I'm already falling hard for the Regal. I just can't get over how quiet they are. I thought shooting subsonics in the CZ was quiet but this setup makes me feel invisible.

A little sidenote to this story. I was out mowing grass and when I came back in I had a message on my landline machine from Robert Buchanan from Airguns of Arizona. Said he'd read my post, it reminded him of himself when he was younger and give him a call. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing but anyway, I returned the call and we had a pretty good chat. Then I felt a bit guilty because I barely mentioned AoA in my post except for the wrong pellet aspect although I had sent them a nice appreciative email from their website that wouldn't go through due to some strange "capcha" -not a robot- error. Fact is, they were one of the best I've ever dealt with and I've made tons of online purchases. I dropped a lot of dough at once for rifle, scope, air tank, etc. but it all turned out fine plus the fact I was a total noob and calling them up, asking plenty of questions. Only slight concern when one day before the rifle arrived I received a box which contained an empty scope box... mkay, don't panic. Next day 2 more boxes, open up and see scope already mounted on rifle with a test group they shot so I thought I'd have to dial it in a bit, nope... zero was dead on. I didn't even expect them to mount the scope so yeah, great experience all around. Loving this rifle.

Reactions: CampFussell
Welcome to AGN Chohan. Great story. For your info in regards to the FX 16gr. pellets, they are just rebranded JSB 15.89gr. Same as the FX 18gr. pellets. They are rebranded JSB 18.13gr. pellets. There are a few companies that do this such as Air Arms, Daystate, and of course FX to name a few off the top of my head. Maybe others can chime in on this. I also have a Huntsman Regal XL in. 22cal and it's an awesome shooter. I recently ordered a DonnyFL Sumo for it although I'm still interested in purchasing Donny's Koi and Tanto for the hell of it. Happy shooting and thank you for your service.

Appreciate the info Peskadot. That would partly explain the tight groups because they certainly are performing well.

Yes, the sumo seems to be a popular choice for the regal xl. My choice of the koi was purely cosmetic as I preferred the slightly smaller O.D., longer sleeker appearance. Donny said the sound was comparable to the sumo although I suspect the sumo might be a tad quieter. Regardless, I'm very satisfied since the loudest aspect of the rifle seems to be mechanical. Slingshot hammer perhaps?
cheers

I started shooting spoils of war dad brought back from WWII as a Seabee in the Philippines. Guadalcanal and all that. Helped unload the bombs and all too. So I've shot many a military rifle in my time. Classics all. So I can appreciate your story after listening to dad, my brother, friends, neighbors, uncles, etc. I was 21 when, once more , over beers after dinner he told stories of Guadalcanal again. After all those years, I could still see the terror in the old man's eyes. I grieve for y'all, having to go through life with stuff like that in your head. They'd been overrun by the Japanese 5 or 6 to one, " I don't know, I lost count"!