• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

new member need help picking airgun...

I’m 50 now and I had airguns all the time growing up. I want to get an airgun with the following:

want to shoot pests in backyard

made in USA if possible

piston action/barrel break if that’s the easiest to maintain without extra pumps/attachments that I’d lose

classic rifle look, some look like space guns don’t Want that

quiet is a must don’t want to draw ire of neighbors 

I don’t need scopes and I doubt it’d get into target practice just want to nail as pest once or twice a week.

at this point in my life I want this to be the last airgun I’ll ever get so money isn’t really the main issue.

Any of these would probly do you but the less powerful and recoiless guns would be the easiest to shoot and thus the most accurate also. The magnum powered guns are more difficult to shoot but with practice you may be able to tame them. I have a Diana 54 side cocking recoiless rifle and love it. It is very accurate but weighs in at 10lbs. Some of the break barrels are only 7.5 lbs. These are quality guns built to last.

https://www.pyramydair.com/air-guns/rifles?brands=5,45,55,29&calibers=0_22&pp=5

I would expect others that have some of these to chime in and let you know how they are.

The Crosman springers are not made in the US nor are any others as far as I know.

I have an Air Arms .22 TX200 and it is my most accurate springer, most expensive, too - and not too loud (I'm a backyard shooter). To me, it's well worth it, because it'll be around long after I'm gone - to pass on to my grandson.

I don't have one, but know that the Weihrauch HW97 is a great airgun, too. Only it doesn't have open sights, you need to purchase a scope for it (same as the TX200). Now, if you want a gun with sights, go for an HW77 - it's the same as a HW97, but it has open sights, and can also take a scope.

I also have two .22 Diana's that shoot good (but they're kind'a loud) - a Model 48 and a 460 Magnum (both have sights and can also take a scope, I have scopes on mine). They're not a costly as the TX200 or the HW97 / HW77

I know he said break barrel but a break barrel or any springer may not the best option if you don’t want to practice. Some springers take a thousand shots to break in fully and one needs to learn the proper hold and find the right pellet that the gun likes. A Benjamin 397 or 392 pump up might be the best tool for the job. Variable power, compact, and not hold sensitive. If someone wants to put in the work I think most would be happier with a German or English springer.