• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

New member - my FX arrived

Thanks Imold. While I have you, can you answer this one? How long can my Impact stay at full pressure? My gun took 7 days to get from Arizona to my office. It was at full pressure when I opened the box. So they shipped it with a full, or near full charge on the air tank. I also ask because I am contemplating getting two extra carbon fiber bottles as opposed to getting the small 13 cubic foot Omega air cylinder.

Edit to add:

​Thanks, those are premo Winchester 1886's that I just picked up in the April 2017 James D Julia auction. Pure Americana right there for sure!
​Can't believe I won this one: http://jamesdjulia.com/item/1062-396/

​This one is my shooter: http://jamesdjulia.com/item/1074-396/

I don't have a FX but my Marauders have held the same PSI now for 2-3 weeks and my Hatsan for a week so far, I would guess if the o-rings are all good I've read where guys rifles have held for a couple months. Myself I went with a 90 ci tank from AV witch is around 14cf to take out in the field with me in a backpack or it also fits in my fanny pack and then a 74cf tank to tether at the shooting bench. I'm still waiting for my AV Compressor so I can fill all my air needs at home.

Most have all been here before, unable to get the female foster out of the impact fill port. Any thoughts or suggestions before I take off the trigger guard? Looks like it's time to purchase my first mod - the Kraford & Lypt "easy access trigger guard". I very nice demo on what I am doing next, which is unscrewing the trigger guard. I really do think their product is worth it. I trim and file my finger nails very close, so getting that hose out without some light disassembly work is a no go for me.

By the way, it took about 60 seconds to fill my Impact from 150 bar to about 230 bar with the compressor. Not sure that 75 cubic foot tank was the right call - should have gone with the 13 cubic foot Omega tank. With AOA's 12% sale and free shipping ending tonight, it's either the tank or another carbon fiber bottle for the rifle. Plus more .30 caliber pellets, I suspect I am going to be shooting this a bit more than I thought.

ededb846cd2cfd5f98c6b69c038cb508.jpg
dff0291cf53f0217c4bad00cc2b28404.jpg

Well, that was easy, the screws were not that tight, so taking them out was a snap. The foster came loose once I started to trigger guard off. No way I will be able to ever get my fingers in there with the current set up. I did get a fill probe extender, which I may put on until my Kraford & Lypt arrives. Eventually those hex heads will strip on me if I keep doing this every time I air up.

4221e7b8f785643b895d6af6b8a98166.jpg

Last post for on this thread, my trigger guard arrived today from Kraford and Lypt - great construction, I will post a follow up if there is an issue with the fill port cover staying on, or if the piece does not fit onto my Impact. If they used a good magnet (hopefully it is Neodymium), and the dust cover this stays on with no issues. Can't want to install this tonight, my female foster also arrived today from AOA so no I can fill my Impact with my 75 cubic foot tank. Again, I will report back if there are any problems, or to answer any questions other members may have about this Mod.

1471f3d20e645c3637a89c3897ca22f7.jpg
4d789e243d023b6c5ade4e7f6ff35f57.jpg

That's not a starter kit; that's a balls to the wall set-up! You go, boi!! The anti-freeze reduces water evaporation and the Purple Ice increases heat dissipation efficiency. Also, use only purified water, NOT distilled, and definitely not tap water. The chemicals and dissolved solids in tap water will corrode the innards of your compressor. Not sure why distilled water is contra-indicated. Someone please educate me.

I don't know, Imold; but the instructions are pretty emphatic about not using distilled water. I believe it's because distilled water tends to dissolve metal (again, I don't know why), which will damage the cooling system of the compressor. My motto is: When all else fails, read the friggin' instructions!

I had a heart-to-heart with Todd at AOA (very helpful, BTW), and his position after working extensively on and with compressors, including the Omegas, is that they are very robust. I did bring up the issue of using anti-freeze, Purple Ice, and purified water; and he implied that it really didn't matter re performance or maintenance. Having said all that, I would still strongly recommend following all manufacturer instructions.

Thanks guys, I had been looking at these enough to know what I wanted, and what was a good starting point. That said, I do not envision getting another rifle, yes a .22 caliber barrel and an extra air canister for the rifle, but I think I am good to go here.

​A word on my compressor, it was nearly filled when I got it. I did add one cup or so or tap water, as well as the two bottles of antifreeze and purple ice. Spend about two hours today bench resting with my target at 40 yards. Plus we set up a play date for my daughter, my daughters friend's father and I shooting at 40 yards zeroing in the scope while our wives and the kids were inside making the salad and side dishes. We shot two fills so about 80 of the 50 grain .30 caliber pellets. He said this was the most fun he had ever had on a play date.

I still have a lot to learn about shooting from a scope and need to consult the manual big time. For instance, if I magnify too much, the target gets blurry. At 40 yards, a magnification of ten (or less) gave a clear sight picture from my Hawke Sidewinder. But as I increase from 10, the target starts to get blurry. Not sure if there is a focus adjustment so that I can dial the magnification to twenty and shoot at 40 yards. Will read the scope manual later tonight. The illuminated reticle is very cool, it's a very good scope on a great rifle. I was getting quarter sized groups at 40 yards - this with zero wind. But with a compressor and my set up, practice in the back yard is a snap, the hardest part is finding time when my two young girls and wife are occupied.

Yo Shortslide ... You have the same scope I do 8-32x56 Sidewinder. There is a SWAT (side wheel adjustable turret) on your scope located right beside the illuminated recticle adjustment ... soooo as you look at your mounted scope from the top ... it is just to the right of the illuminated reticle adjustment. A little closer to the main tube you will see numbers like 10 yards .... then 25,50,100 all the way out to infinity. As you change distance that you will be shooting, turn that adjustment and it will focus for you at whatever yardage you will be shooting. you can also use it almost like a range finder to figure out your holdover.

​There is also an ocular lens adjustment at the rear of the scope and this should be adjusted for your eyes so you can get the brightest crispest image possible. Actually it is the first thing you should do after mounting the scope. Hold the scope about 3 or 4 inches from your eye and look through the lens at a blank flatly lit, bright area such as a wall or the open sky. If the reticle is not crisp, clear and sharply defined INSTANTLY, turn the eyepiece a couple of turns in either direction. Quickly glance through the scope again, if the focus has improved, but not perfect, continue focusing until you get the best picture possible. As mentioned earlier, this should be done quickly ... raise the rifle, take a quick glance into the scope, lower the rifle and adjust. You want it to where you can throw the rifle up to your shoulder and you automatically have a crisp clear reticle right in front of your eyes. Do it as many times as necessary to get the focus correct. When the focus is correct, rotate the inner lock ring until it is tight ... that will prevent it from getting out of adjustment.

Lsplyt,

I have the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 6.5-20x42 so I am not sure my scope works the same as yours. But using your post, I found that there is another control wheel on my left turret - this as you look down the scope. The outer dial is the illuminated recticle adjustment and the inner dial on that left side turret has numbers to infinity like you said. And there was just enough light for me to focus on a 100 yard distant tree and use the SWAT to focus the leaves - this using my full magnification of 20x. Thank you so much for helping a scope newbie out on that. The guy I was shooting with yesterday did not know how to focus either.

d76834e412f0bae4a9cc0cff17d93732.jpg

I think my ten year old will be outshooting me within the week. The target was 40 yards out, bench rested at about 14x magnification. Adriana shot at least ten rounds into the middle target and I shot everything else. This was.30 caliber 50 grain JSB's on Max. with the back of the gun resting on towels and tripod on the front. My new Hawke bubble level helped with canting error for sure. I need a proper bench rest set up but the towels worked fine. This was her first time shooting a quality rifle. She did have a few hundred rounds through her pink daily one pump with iron sites. I could not believe she did so well, and now wants to shoot every day. I was not sure how my wife would feel about her shooting this rifle, but is fine with it because it is quality father daughter time

0bb987cf3ea6594b5add9421da7dea6e.jpg

Shortslide,

I have the same setup. The brass knob on the left is definetly the pressure release. I too ordered a line with female quick connect at both ends. This tank is the Omega Patriot and it has the large black or gray knob on the top. I also have the Omega 74CF standard tank that has the black yoke knob on the side. The Patriot tank has the small gauge that shows what air is in the tank and the large gauge on the tank shows the psi put into the rifle. I don't understand why Omega doesn't provide a instruction manual on their tanks and a instruction sheet on the Omega dry air filter system. I'm confused as to what the procedure is to be followed for removing the main valve system when the tank is inspected for its interior condition after five years use.