• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New member looking for benchrest rifle advice

"MrSpradlin"Once again thanks for all the info folks. 
On the RAW rifles who does custom tuning on them?
Tuning? Why would you want someone messing with these? About the only thing you might want to do is make a minor adjustment to the velocity, and you can do that yourself. I would be hard pressed to send a rifle of this caliber (no pun intended) to any tuner, regardless of his reputation. If, in the most unlikely event, that there is something wrong with it, send it back to Martin and he will fix it. I would smite the hand that touched my rifle.

"jps2486"
"MrSpradlin"Once again thanks for all the info folks. 
On the RAW rifles who does custom tuning on them?
Tuning? Why would you want someone messing with these? About the only thing you might want to do is make a minor adjustment to the velocity, and you can do that yourself. I would be hard pressed to send a rifle of this caliber (no pun intended) to any tuner, regardless of his reputation. If, in the most unlikely event, that there is something wrong with it, send it back to Martin and he will fix it. I would smite the hand that touched my rifle.
1st time setup with Fps per the individual barrel, barrel indexing etc... i’ll personal make a scope cam video of the individuals rifle performing proir to shipping to customer.

Jimmy
i pull a worm with a wet wd40 patch then a dry patch after every card for a cleaning routine
and it takes the barrel a minimum of 10+ shots to season back
Matt
the others have given you the difference between the new TM's & BM's, i have not owned a BM
3 years ago i put one of my 3 digit serial # TM's together with a 400cc bottle in the custom Theoben Rapid stock and added a poly barrel
and last year when Martin finally agreed to make thimbled poly barrels i add one of his to it and it shoots very well
BUT
my 75 year old arthritic hands have to use a pellet plucker to load the TM and the SUMO so i prefer the open barrel of the Thomas & USFT
"CampFussell"Strever, I'm gonna call you Richard so I don't get in trouble with that crazy guy over on John's post! LOL
Good to see you on here man.

Hey, can you share your cleaning regimen with the polygon barrels?

Fuss

All the rifle mentioned are highly competitive - I’d suggest going to shoots and checking out what is being shot and asking lots of questions -
hell a well tuned Marauder can hang in there with the big dawgs - it’s the Nut behind the trigger -
also don’t forget Steyr - very accurate at all ranges from 25 to 100 meters 
I also share the bias with Jimmy -for the Thomas line - I’ve won nurmours matches with them -
also own 3 of them - 
own a RAW .30 caliber as well -and with a bit of fine tuning she’s a shooter as well
don’t forget to invest in high quality wind flags -because doping the wind is one of the most important facets of sussesful cometiton 
regards 
CK 

Fuss,

Yes the usft low fill pressure is a huge plus. Mine likes 1600 to 1300 and gives a velocity spread of 12 fps for 35 shots at 19 fpe. It's still new and I expect the fps spread to tighten down as I shoot it more. The amazing thing is the tight spread without a regulator. Thats alot of fills from my 80 cf SCUBA tank.

As far as the "thimble" on raw rifles and the ability to index the barrel.....The usft design allows indexing without any need for a thimble.

Definitely don't forget Steyr! In the US they are way more expensive than in Europe (we have the same problem with RAW :p ) but the flexibility and the rigidity of the steyr is on the top. It's very rare that a Steyr starts leaking or that an o-ring will let you down. And if it let's you down there are enough service videos from Steyr them self or people with experience in taking a Steyr apart. They are build so easy that you're able to do everything yourself if you're a bit handy.

The only leak I had with my Steyr was my own error. After about 17000 shots now (@ about 40 joules) the internals still look new and the regulator hasn't skipped a beat.

Regarding achieving the best results: practice, process the results, change what needs to be changed, practice again, process the results and practice again and again and again, that's the only way! Pretty much all winners in decent competitions know there gun so well that it's become an extension of themselves. By using it extensively you'll find the required cleaning interval, hold sensitivity etc.

One of the airguns that's on my wishlist somewhere up top is the thomas air rifle in the FT configuration. I think a picture of CampFussel's Thomas FT rifle convinced me into wanting one some day :) 

Heres the 25m results for EBR
top 15 spots...
9 of which are RAWs....
top 6... 5-Raws....
3 Thomas in top 15....
1 USFT in top 15...
4112bf69f66f2444d351fe04a7d19349.jpg

Thomas did well at Nationals too, I took 2nd and 3rd to some Thomas rifles.

"Franklink"As far as the "thimble" on raw rifles and the ability to index the barrel.....The usft design allows indexing without any need for a thimble.

Almost all PCP match type rifles don't require a thimble. Steyr, Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, Thomas, USFT (and I certainly forgot a few) all have there transfer port/airflow going through their bolt (in some different forms and shapes) and allow direct feeding into the barrel.

The main advantage is that the barrel doesn't require drilling of a TP and no o-rings required on the outside of the barrel. This makes it a lot easier to produce a new barrel and it can be indexed freely. The only downside (at least for some) is that it's almost impossible to use a magazine in this type of systems and if a magazine can be used its very limited in the power that can be produced.

"Salticon"Indexing is great for fine tuning the characteristics of the pellet in a wind condition, makes the point of impact more predictable. Yes you can not use a magazine with a @thimbled barrel, but precision match rifles and shooters dont use a magazine anyway. All great points to be known when selecting the right rifle!

Before I bought my steyr I had a Daystate MK4. I think I've used the magazine for 50 shots, after that I started handloading the pellets and never looked back :p Sinds then I prefer hand loading over magazine too. Regarding firing speed, a trained single shot shooter won't be much slower than a magazine shooter in normal shooting scenarios (I'm not talking about the speed shooting at EBR :p)

I shoot 100 meter matches with my Steyr and the indexing helped in decreasing the amount of vertical adjustment I need. A decent barrel is straightened during fitting but it'll never be perfectly straight so it can help if placed right.

"broekzwans"One of the airguns that's on my wishlist somewhere up top is the thomas air rifle in the FT configuration. I think a picture of CampFussel's Thomas FT rifle convinced me into wanting one some day :) 

Haha, Thanks broekzwans ;-)

Let me help enable you ;-) LOL

Mine is the first two pics

fc7e687743c00aa20fca5f0ed964f9c6.jpg
45db0ddc64b0b5c6b50b7346a8cfec5d.jpg
A whole lotta money on the fround at one of our FT matches! LOL
326229baaf5b1a16495aa9abb67474da.jpg
And here's Mike with his Thomas
13cbe5c9ff9d3c90dd40a2556ab00fff.jpg
He even put one in a wood stock for his Daughter
a429782b31986c5165a1b0606d4c64eb.jpg
e5f760ef964e13a13700ee0780a55b92.jpg
71defe724f4dc6ad5cc1de145450f768.jpg
2262b8bc0930f004bbdcfa9476589f0b.jpg
Mr, Mendola with his BR Thomas
afeccc5718da79c0843f23924825b8c8.jpg
Vipha Miller has a gorgeous FT Thomas
9df8dd517e0f59d90ab99ce616b4d088.jpg

Reactions: broekzwans
Frank
that separate mouse of Steve George's is his trigger sitting on the table ?
Vipha is more then a super top shooter, she is also a super sweetheart of a person
hope all is well in your part of the world
Jimmy
that is a pretty good looking heavy duty swing port
i think we will start seeing more of them in future guns :)

Dick Strever