New member - Going to be getting a PCP soon. Thoughts?

Hello AN!
New to the updated world of airguns. Used to "play" with Air back in my youth and after being in the firearm world for some time (Tinkering, Building and designing) I wanted to take a stab at something new.
I live in WA state who have cracked down on a lot of gun availability and so far has ignored air.
Wanted some advise and opinions on where to start and what to avoid as to ideas and hardware.

My list of what I want one for is a little long. I know I will need more than one to fit, prob more... then the question of where to start, List is mostly in order of my priorities to meet.

1- Like the idea of power from air. Id at least want to be able to know I can match the power of a 22. I don't hunt but feel drawn to some big bore just because.. not sure why other than its interesting (old) refined cool tech.
2- Like the auto and full auto options. Seems fun and seems something that will go away as laws (sadly) progress.
3- quiet. or semi quiet for backyard/garage use, Moderator and chambers will be my friend.
4- young kids getting into guns and training for use. I like the idea of less noise with them at least at first. Lets them concentrate on form, safety and use. I want a real gun used and not airsoft BS.
5- target accuracy.
6- some tinkering/modifications (after getting up to speed on how/what works). I can 3d print near anything I find or design so guns with a flowing around that would be great.
7- want a good value. IE I'm not cheap, I want to save where I can. But I don't want to wish I spent more later as will cost me more down the road. Used is for sure an option for me if practical. I don't need the "best", but I want the best option for me.

what I have in my head as contenders is also a wide angel as per the above. Not all fit every aspect but want to group them in best I can.
- Western rapter 357(SEMI) or .30(FULL)
- Western Sidewinder (any cal) BTW anyone know if the barrels are caliber changeable and if so cost effective?
- Hatsan Blitz 30 (power, full then another low cal for quiet and kids, etc)
- Daystate xxx Wolf (midddle road, do most)
- EDGUN LESHIY 2 ($$ no full but ticks most)
- FX Maverick (understood these were cal trappable with barrels at a reasonable price).
-Tiapan Veteran (middle road, do most)
- Rainson Edge (meets a lot of the above and cheapish. Allows a bigger bore or auto to be bought too like blitz)
- CRICKET II TACTICAL 60(Ticks a lot as well)

So with any of that, what would you say to be aware of, migrate towrd or away from and what to watch out for.
Any other options one would point me to?

You claim that you are new to updated world of airguns, then immediately give a laundry list of things and guns that you believe are suitable for you. I’m having difficulty in deciding what exactly you are asking……..
Im new enough but have been doing a lot of reading and have some ideas.. but that's where I start to get myself in trouble ;) "Believe suitable does sum that up. Trying to confirm some lines of thoughts and objectives.
There are a lot of people out there with experience with these that can help alighn my thinking. Im trying to form some of those scattered ideas into something practicle to act on. :)

Last edited:
I'd stay away from the hatsan blitz not really tunable and are on the low end of a 30 cal power level daystate and fx are good I'm not sure about the westerns or cricket haven't played with them
What about a cheap Blitz being considered the Toy of the lot. AKA full auto and hitting things hard'ish.. Then another quality rifle for the rest? If I wasnt plannin to tune and tweak it... aka are they good out of the box and just running stock? Or just avoid at all cost? Seems a mixed bag from what I read.

For a toy to play with wouldn't be bad . published numbers on 30 cal speed aren't what they get at least the one I tried to tune without success when I chronoed it it was quite a bit slower than stated by hatsan but the auto part was fun
Thanks Airgunmann Thats the detials I am after. It doesnt look to be much more than a "toy" so its low pri on my list. I questioned if it would be powerful enough to check those boxes and souds like not. Full is just a novilty that I am sure will get banned at some point. Only real reson on my list really in any weight, Cheers!

RTI Prophet Performance and Taipan Veteran would be my top picks. Both are reliable, built like tanks, shoots well out of the box, can be easily tuned and hold their resale value pretty well.

You can push a slug gun close to .22LR power but not sure the accuracy is comparable unless you are in the custom gun $$$ Thomas $$$ territory. Pellet guns are very accurate but really shine 60Y and in although you can push them to some crazy distances in calm conditions.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Second vote for Huben (you and Ranchibi). What make the MFG standout? Going to have to look them up. :)

The K1 does look nice, Price isnt to bad either as long as not their highest end. :)
Power, quick adjustability, accuracy, compact, semi-auto, shoot slugs or pellets without barrel changes, slug power kits,etc….did I mention power? 😁 love my K1

IMG_3445.jpeg

Buy something simpler for your 1st pcp IMHO. Find out what the BASICS of pcp's are all about THEN you can let yourself get sucked into the stuff you're now attracted to but really don't NEED to have a satisfying & educational pcp experience. Find a good/great out of the box shooter 1st (Royale, Huntsman, Taipan, etc.)

So far I am hering lot on the Taipan Vet. So what relly makes this stand out as far as a tradtional or simpler design. NOt seeing to much detail on that while reading.
Gerry52, yeah I agree too.Just dont want to but over and over I have done this in past and usually outgrow basics in a very short time. But thats still may be the better way to fo here . Something to think on.

Anyone have ghougts on AEA as a brand?

So far I am hering lot on the Taipan Vet. So what relly makes this stand out as far as a tradtional or simpler design. NOt seeing to much detail on that while reading.
Shoots great right out of the box. Can be EASILY tuned to shoot other weight pellets simply by turning the hammer spring adjuster to vary the velocity. The trigger pulls is one of the best that you will ever feel. The darn things just flat out shoot without adding any optional do dads. They are among the quietest stock air rifles as the included baffles do an excellent job of keeping it quiet. Magazines are easy to load or shoot single shot with the include single shot tray. Its a very compact rifle which makes it an excellent hunter from vehicle, in the tight woods or inside of a barn.