New Member from Utah

I'm just getting into this hobby. Been shooting/collecting firearms for many years, but decided to expand into airguns to make it a bit easier to get out and actually shoot.

I dont have the largest yard, but I'm really hoping it all works out good, as it would be really nice to be able to just go out back and plink away for a while sometimes. One of my neighbors is kinda a dick, so hopefully its quiet enough that he doesn't know. Has anyone had either a positive or negative experience with police concerning shooting? I know its not a firearm, so its not against the law to shoot in my yard, but when certain types of people see something that looks like one...

I started with a Hatsan Mod 65. Definitely not an expensive option, but I figure that it'll be fine to get my feet wet in to see if its something I want to keep doing. And the good news is I can always add more to the collection... Also maybe get into the PCP side as well.

Reactions: Davewayne75
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. Big reason for airgun popularity is target practice without having to go farther than the backyard. Sorry about neighbor, have woods on all but one side, six-foot privacy fence there. Discretion is your best friend, use solid, safe backstop where only noise is pellet striking wood. Metal plates, gongs, exploding targets, even plastic bottles draw too much attention. Big bore boomers are out and moderators on everything else. Check local laws just to be ahead of bad neighbor, but few will give an old-timer grief about shooting his "BB" gun safely in the backyard. WM

Welcome to our awesome forum. I believe your best option is to select a relatively quiet air rifle and then just be discreet. Make a pellet trap that absorbs most of the sound and you’ll be fine. I do most of my target shooting at my parents property because I can only shoot to about 20 yards at my home. I can shoot out to about 100 yards at my parents place. About two years ago the adjacent property was purchased by the local school district and now has an elementary school on it. The parking lot of the school is only about 80 yards from where I sit to shoot. Luckily there is a large hedge that completely conceals me and a couple of large shipping containers next to the hedge. I now just have to stay behind the cover that I have and am no longer free to roam around with my air rifles. I use cardboard boxes stuffed with old clothes as a backstop and the pellet impact is very quiet. So with a little planning and effort you should be able to avoid the eyes of that neighbor.
Kenny

Reactions: Bandito
I'm just getting into this hobby. Been shooting/collecting firearms for many years, but decided to expand into airguns to make it a bit easier to get out and actually shoot.

I dont have the largest yard, but I'm really hoping it all works out good, as it would be really nice to be able to just go out back and plink away for a while sometimes. One of my neighbors is kinda a dick, so hopefully its quiet enough that he doesn't know. Has anyone had either a positive or negative experience with police concerning shooting? I know its not a firearm, so its not against the law to shoot in my yard, but when certain types of people see something that looks like one...

I started with a Hatsan Mod 65. Definitely not an expensive option, but I figure that it'll be fine to get my feet wet in to see if its something I want to keep doing. And the good news is I can always add more to the collection... Also maybe get into the PCP side as well.
Welcome to the forum. Like the others say, get a quiet airgun and be discrete in hiding your gun, shooting and target. A big bulls eye in your yard will draw attention. So many options of springers, pumpers and PCPs for a quiet airgun. I set a target under my cypress, angle the front of the target so the street cannot see it and shoot out from my basement door but my setup is against the far wall about 15 feet from the door to help muffle the sound. Never see me in the yard with an airgun. Also do not discuss it with any neighbor no matter how nice and trusting. They make tell somebody less forgiving. Shooting airguns is legal in my small city provided you have a safe backstop. Check you city code or county code if you are not in a city. In big cities and adjoining metro areas, airguns are generally ilegal. However I know that all it will take is a single citizen complaint to the City and then City Council will make airguns illegal; no debate. The quietest backstop I have found is a cardboard box stuffed with old jeans. You have to be doubly safe when shooting in the City due to higher probability of property damage, injury and making the papers.

Welcome to AGN. Lots of good information here. Have you ever heard of Weihrauch or Air Arms? They make heirloom quality "springers" and are very accurate for back yard shooting. The pellet hitting the pellet trap makes more noise than the rifle.

I have been down the PCP rabbit hole and there is a lot of support equipment needed. Springers only require some pellets and a decent bench to shoot from.

One of the best "cheap" air pistols on the market is the Beeman P17. Very accurate out of the box with a pretty decent trigger and open sights. Perfect for backyard shooting and easy on the wallet. Can usually get them on sale. JSB RS .177 7.3 grain pellet is a great pellet choice that a lot of pistols and rifles shoot well.

Have fun and welcome to the rabbit hole!

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole®, being in UT at least you are 'close' to Utah Airguns, Makes it easy to spend your kids inheritance.

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole®, being in UT at least you are 'close' to Utah Airguns, Makes it easy to spend your kids inheritance.
Lucky for me, no kids. :)
Welcome to the best AGN ! BE sure to check local laws if your in town . Their are many towns with Ordinances against "BB" guns . I live in Kentucky and KY. is an open carry state . The small town near me has a law " no BB gun shooting in town ".
Regretfully, I looked it up, and my town also has no BB shooting laws, so I guess no backyard shooting for me. :( I know there is some BLM land really close, so its still better than nothing.

Lucky for me, no kids. :)

Regretfully, I looked it up, and my town also has no BB shooting laws, so I guess no backyard shooting for me. :( I know there is some BLM land really close, so its still better than nothing.
Welcome! I'm from Utah as well and as far as in the backyard shooting fun goes, it's pretty slim to do legally as most towns/cities have all jumped on the no shooting anything in city limits. We all know some do it and I say I'll just mind my own business on that but as you stated, going to the nearby BLM land is what I would do. I'm lucky to have a shooting range a few blocks from my place but it gets pretty busy at times and when that's the case I'll take a 35-40 minute drive and be wide open for pretty much any long range shooting which I like to do.

Reactions: HogKiller

Welcome sir seems everyone has a jerk within ear distance

forest-gump-wave.gif