New member from England

Welcome, Birmingham was the heart
if so much in the airgun world. I still have about 12 BSAs and two Webleys. When I was at Uni I went up to DAI Leisure to buy a used BSA Lightning XL they had. Probably one of the coolest stores I’ve ever been in. Combined so many of my hobbies into one place.
Yes mate very true.
The gun quarter as it’s known was home to some very famous names , all in such a small area of the city
Webley&scott
Birmingham small arms (BSA)
Parker hale
W greener
Westley Richard’s
To name a few

but you forget that other people were selling Diana air guns as RWS
Natchez was selling RWS, Dynamit Nobel had catalogs
the fact they were harder to find does not make springers a new phenomenon
the springer air gun has been around for over 100 years and how they were bought and sold is another topic altogether.
and certainly, the springer air gun is not new to the UK
Heck, I was shooting a spring piston airgun back in 1956 when I was 4. It was a daisy BB gun. I don't know when Daisy started selling their BB guns but I'm sure it was way before the 1 I was shooting.

Reactions: Steve 1974
this statement from Sawney Bean is utter nonsense.

yeah, springers are a relatively new phenomenon here. Prior to the 1990's airguns in the US were almost entirely multipump pneumatics and when we got springers we naturally gravitated to the cheapest and most oversprung ones available. Think of a plastic stocked Gamo with "1300 fps" etched on the receiver.

and Steve from the UK see you on AGF
Hello marflow 777 funny who you run into on the other side of the Atlantic.:) Very good Forum this but very different from the AGF.

i truly believe there are far more air gun shooters in the UK by population than we have in the states
they have many, many air gun stores that you can drive to and walk in and shop and that is there total business
you look at aftermarket custom parts like Robb and Rowan and many more Knibbs and Chambers and Protek a lot is use for parts and or information
and what has done that in my view is their gun restrictions and the fact that their air gun owner are so dialed in on their power levels and not to break out

it is a different group but they are like minded and i enjoy my time on the forum in the UK, my goal here and there is to help and learn and if you see the White Shark it is me

Hi Steve, I am from the uk, I shoot pcp’s and like you I find higher powers a bit harsh in comparison to sub 12. Noise goes up, shot count goes down and accuracy often suffers. Regardless of calibre I don’t like to push pellets much over 850fps, I have never found a pellet that becomes more accurate past that speed, they just fly flatter.
Lower power does limit the range at which you can effectively shoot, more specifically hunt but I think the reduction in noise not only muzzle report but pellet impact more than makes up for this in that on numerous occasions I have shot rabbits and pigeons without disturbing others nearby, often able to shoot 4 or 5 before they realise something is wrong.

Bb

Reactions: Steve 1974
Hi Steve, I am from the uk, I shoot pcp’s and like you I find higher powers a bit harsh in comparison to sub 12. Noise goes up, shot count goes down and accuracy often suffers. Regardless of calibre I don’t like to push pellets much over 850fps, I have never found a pellet that becomes more accurate past that speed, they just fly flatter.
Lower power does limit the range at which you can effectively shoot, more specifically hunt but I think the reduction in noise not only muzzle report but pellet impact more than makes up for this in that on numerous occasions I have shot rabbits and pigeons without disturbing others nearby, often able to shoot 4 or 5 before they realise something is wrong.

Bb
Yes that’s very true mate . I do think the sub 12 should be upped a bit 650-700 for a 22 13.4 pellet would be still be a nice shot cycle . My tomahawk & hw80 could do an easy 20 but much to harsh . I wouldn’t go there even if we could .

Reactions: bucketboy
i truly believe there are far more air gun shooters in the UK by population than we have in the states
they have many, many air gun stores that you can drive to and walk in and shop and that is there total business
you look at aftermarket custom parts like Robb and Rowan and many more Knibbs and Chambers and Protek a lot is use for parts and or information
and what has done that in my view is their gun restrictions and the fact that their air gun owner are so dialed in on their power levels and not to break out

it is a different group but they are like minded and i enjoy my time on the forum in the UK, my goal here and there is to help and learn and if you see the White Shark it is me
If I saw that white shark I’d want a bigger boat 😂

I think that up to 20 fpe in a springer can work well. Past that and the cons start to outweigh the pros.

A 30 fpe springer isn’t terribly noisy, but it will generally be quite large and heavy, often difficult to cock and a real challenge to shoot accurately. IMO, PCPs easily outperform springers at that power level.
Yes a pcp is better for over 20 without a doubt. I’ve only got one pcp . Nice rifle

Welcome to the forum Steve.

I don't own an airgun with a output of over 12 fpe. It's not by mandate or choice for that matter but rather what I like to shoot. I'm not fond of lugging around heavy guns and enjoy the simplicity of the spring-piston power plant. I don't hunt much but have had to eliminate some pest. Any of my guns are more than adequate to do that within an effective range of 20 yards.
By the way, you hail from the birth place of two of my most cherished pistols... the Webley Tempest and the Webley Senior. I take a good deal of pride in having them in my arsenal.

Welcome to the forum Steve.

I don't own an airgun with a output of over 12 fpe. It's not by mandate or choice for that matter but rather what I like to shoot. I'm not fond of lugging around heavy guns and enjoy the simplicity of the spring-piston power plant. I don't hunt much but have had to eliminate some pest. Any of my guns are more than adequate to do that within an effective range of 20 yards.
By the way, you hail from the birth place of two of my most cherished pistols... the Webley Tempest and the Webley Senior. I take a good deal of pride in having them in my arsenal.
Thanks pal
I really like the webley pistols. Had a tempest as a kid , nice balance and loved the grips. They fetch good money over here 👍

Reactions: Trunion
Thanks pal
I really like the webley pistols. Had a tempest as a kid , nice balance and loved the grips. They fetch good money over here 👍
My Tempest

20210710_130318.jpg

Reactions: WoodWelder