• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman New member 22xx build

Hey guys I'm new here, looking for some imput on a build I'm working on see what ya think and any suggestions. Also what is commonly used to seal the metal on the tube and barrel after polished.

The pistol was a 1377 to start now its more like a 2300

What mods are actually worth it? This pistol is for target 10m, id like the finished build to be around 420fps to maximize shot count.

Is the extended bolt probe really effective?

Do I need a barrel band?

rear iron sights?

Cost effective grips?

Is bulk fill C02 good? How to regulate?

20231012_212406.jpg

20231012_155120.jpg

20231014_102633.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, do a search on 2240 mods, you should get quite a few hits.

I have been known to mod a 22XX or two

EDIT: I must apologise for my rushed initial response, but here's a pic of my latest build -
a 2400 CCS tube with a pinned co2 rear valve/disco valve head combo, a mellonair prepped 12" 22 caliber barrel & power adjuster, Magnum Airpower fill adapter, alchemyairwerks breech -

1698193589845.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DCarter
i am going to frank here and take it how you want
first off trying to polish a factory 2240 tube is a complete waste of time, you have gotten to where you are but it is not even close to being polished
the Crosman 2240 tube is the crudest of metal parts you will ever find
if you want to polish a tube and get somewhere go to Ebay and but a 2300s tube
t polish the barrel use a tire valve, it will fit in the tube and chuck it up in a drill and have at it and after 3 or 4 hours you will be there
or you can go here
https://alliancehobby.com/left.htm
all the rest is up to you i have so many 2240's that i lost count
they can eat you alive if you let them and hell i have let them with as much as 800.00 invested with optics
have i stopped no i have a brass build going right now
but sometimes you get an itch and you have to scratch it
get a new tube and start over and if you what KS metal makes stainless tubing that fits the barrel OD of 7/16 but the front cap will be tight on clearance
if you what to wax the bare steel or keep it wipe down
a 2240 is good for two thing that little breech screw and the valve but even the valve can be tossed
buy a breech screw and build a gun from parts and the good old days are long gone, the source for custom parts 10 years ago was endless now just a few

good luck Mike
SAM_0619.JPG
SAM_0620.JPG

the tube pictures are of a 2300s tube and it is not completely polish but you can see you will something that is very nice
SAM_0354.JPG

Last edited:
Negative on the extended probe. Plenty of posts and info on this showing the gains if anything are super minimal. Also makes loading the gun significantly more unpleasant.

For the barrel, you will need to test it and see if it needs to be replaced. If you do have to replace it, try and order a lothar walther one from crosman. I've had something like 5 bad barrels from them, and both my crosmans now have factory supplied lothar walther barrels. No more accuracy issues. And they don't cost but like $50 if you order from crosman.

Negative on the barrel band. No practical use for it, unless you just prefer the look of it.

For grips, these need some fitting and finishing, but are a good option, and I really like the shape. PLUS they are made from a very dense wood. Which does add noticeable weight and stability to the gun. I have a set of these rosewood grips. Rosewood Grips And a set of ebony grips, I believe from the same seller. just bought several years prior.

Rosewood

PSX_20230520_182655.jpg

Ebony

PSX_20200517_195503.jpg

Last edited:
Negative on the extended probe. Planty of posts and info on this showing the gains if anything are super minimal. Also makes loading the gun significantly more unpleasant.

For the barrel, you will need to test it and see if it needs to be replaced. If you do have to replace it, try and order a lothar walther one from crosman. I've had something like 5 bad barrels from them, and both my crosmans now have factory supplied lothar walther barrels. No more accuracy issues. And they don't cost but like $50 if you order from crosman.

Negative on the barrel band. No practical use for it, unless you just prefer the look of it.

For grips, these need some fitting and finishing, but are a good option, and I really like the shape. PLUS they are made from a very dense wood. Which does add noticeable weight and stability to the gun. I have a set of these rosewood grips. Rosewood Grips And a set of ebony grips, I believe from the same seller. just bought several years prior.

Rosewood

View attachment 398558

Thank you for the reply I love the grips especially in that redish brown very much what I'm looking for, thank you for all the info. I was thinking that the extended bolt was a bit much. Barrel wise I think im good I had the barrel and trigger frame/group as a 1377 for years and it was a great shooter. Now this might be a little crazy but I just cleared the power tube and barrel with clearcoat and it looks great. Is this a thing or am I crazy. Has a great look like a pewter

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Shoot, I have. And do. I have a steel transfer port that is bored out in my pumper. I never get a complete seal, at least on the top side. So I use just enough black rtv to seal it. I'll press it into the under side of the receiver, and then use a q tip to clean any excess. The bottom has a rubber ring that does seal. Wait 24hrs for it to set up. Gota be cleaned and redone if I take the gun apart, but that's pretty rare.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCarter
Shoot, I have. And do. I have a steel transfer port that is bored out in my pumper. I never get a complete seal, at least on the top side. So I use just enough black rtv to seal it. I'll press it into the under side of the receiver, and then use a q tipe to clean any excess. Thr bottom has a rubber ring that does seal. Wait 24hrs for it to set up. Gota be cleaned and redone if I take the gun apart, but that's pretty rare.
I'm excited for this build just smack a squirrel after dinner with a crosman vigilante c02 pistol, this 2240 is gunna be next level

20231021_154046.jpg

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Impressive shooting with the vigilante. I used to have one of the old ones like it maybe 20 years ago. Never could hit much with it, but I think my pistol technique was pretty rough back then, too.
I think I got about 1500 pellets threw the vigilante, it's my wife's. She wanted something that was semi auto. It's a killer within 20 yards.

Welcome. Great opening thread for a forum newbie and great looking project.
Thanks man, Iv never really been on forums before but everyone here is super helpful 👍 and all the guns are so unique and just wild. I just put about 80 or so pellets the the gun and am very happy with it. Cutting the 1377 spring really got some nice shot counts. I would love to post some more builds but after what this costs I'll need to wait a while for another.

Looks really nice! Not sure what you did to polish it, but I like the darker steel hue compared to how bright it gets when polished.... reminds me of brushed steel.

Not sure if you got sights picked out. But if irons, I would personally use a willims sight. (stock image of 2300s)

crosman-2300s-pellet-pistol-28.jpg

But if you want something less bulky then, maybe this. LPA rear sight

Last edited:
I love the Williams but I seen some people say you need to replace the bolt hand to cleat it. Is thus true?
Hm, that is a good observation. It looks like you could use the factory one, but it might be a bit awkward. I can see how an extended bolt would likely be a better choice.

I also updated the link for the other one since it didn't want to load. Not sure why?