• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Maverick Owner - Please help me out with a few issues! :(

UPDATE: FX is sending out the rails to people who have 0MOA! Thanks for helping make our voices heard!

I just got off the phone talking with Taylor or Kayla (hard to understand her) and she said the CNC machine used to machine the 20MOA rail broke down and they had to replace it???? So they shipped Mavricks knowing they had 0MOA rails? Gave her my shipping info.,said it will be a few wks.

Guys with wrong rail need to contact FX.

Hope i dont have to go thru this with my Maverick when i get it, even if i can almost shoot from my Country to Sweden with a SLUG ( at least if i went to the far east of my country which i only do reluctantly as deranged people live over there.) 😁

But as no part for my gun have not been made yet i am probably good.

I got a lead on some NSA slugs ( .177 ), but as they are the heaviest ones, and the 2 lighter versions being sold out, maybe there is a reason the heavy ones are in stock,,,,,, still going to order a single tin, even if i think the gun will not crank high enough to shoot them without some form of MOD.

Got plenty heavy / more heavy JSB pellets to shoot before i go to extremes anyway. ( EMD reds & EHD )

MODS - My bad about the copy/paste of a part of the email from FX. I see you edited a few posts from myself and others. I did, however, intentionally leave out all contact details, dates, etc. Just wanted to show that FX is actively working to correct this. Good for them! Nice to have a company that really stands behind their gear - especially as a first time owner such as myself.

Cheers to all of you guys, I'm glad we came together and solved the problem. Have an amazing weekend and happy shooting! 👍

I wouldn't say the Maverick is not recommended. I was actually between the Impact MK2, the LCS SK19 and the Maverick and am happy I chose the Maverick. Full auto is cool and all, but there is a reason all the big names in the airgun world shoot FX. Also, have a look at any benchrest competition and you'll see the line is mostly FX guns. 

I think what's important is doing your research and getting what's right for you. I hope this thread will be helpful for others considering a Maverick. Yes, I had some initial trouble due to no cant in my rail but we all figured it out. FX rings got me sorted out and now I'm shooting sub-MOA groups without the gun even being really broken in.

I'm heading out on a bit to do some shooting. Hopefully I'll get my first pest kill today. Let's keep this thread going with any additional questions, tunes, and general Maverick discussion. I am sure I will have more questions and maybe even some setup tips as I go along. I'll post them here. 

So....

Maverick is or not a recommended rifle?

I am deciding among a Maverick in .30 or on a LCS SK-19 in .30 Cal.

I understand that both are techologically very advance, one semi and the Maverick the first with double regulator and a huge plenum.

What's your choice?

Rail issues aside, I don't regret getting my Maverick at all. The zero MOA rail is something that is easily solved with the right scope mount/rings. I highly recommend it! The semi-auto is only good for fun really. The FX has a lot more tuning flexibility and repeatability. It also has proven to be extremely accurate with the barrel options you have. It is much easier to change barrels/calibers on too. I've never been an FX fanboy by any stretch, but I have always appreciated how they are pushing advancements. The biggest thing for me with the Maverick has be the accuracy. These guns are absolute tack drives ;) 

So....

Maverick is or not a recommended rifle?

I am deciding among a Maverick in .30 or on a LCS SK-19 in .30 Cal.

I understand that both are techologically very advance, one semi and the Maverick the first with double regulator and a huge plenum.

What's your choice?

Rail issues aside, I don't regret getting my Maverick at all. The zero MOA rail is something that is easily solved with the right scope mount/rings. I highly recommend it! The semi-auto is only good for fun really. The FX has a lot more tuning flexibility and repeatability. It also has proven to be extremely accurate with the barrel options you have. It is much easier to change barrels/calibers on too. I've never been an FX fanboy by any stretch, but I have always appreciated how they are pushing advancements. The biggest thing for me with the Maverick has be the accuracy. These guns are absolute tack drives ;)

Thanks a lot!

I installed my slug kit, which I have heard has an open recall on it from FX, and I think I know why.... Mine did not have the same diameter hole for the screw that holds it in as the stock probe. I had to drill it out a bit. Seems OK now... 13 gram hammer, btw

Anyway, hammer adjustment 6mm out (furthest recommended)... shooting inconsistent lowish-mid 900s on PW7 setting, but like 1000FPS pretty consistent on PW2 with 25gr slugs. What's that about? Didn't really test the interim power wheel settings as I only had limited time. My 2nd reg is at 135 or 140 or so. How could the 7 setting have a less powerful and more inconsistent shot while the 2 setting is hitting 1000fps? 

I'd love to find a proper tune to have lowish (8-850fps)power on the lower PW settings and 1000+fps on PW6/7. Maybe I need the 11 gram hammer rather than the 13g one that came with the slug kit?

Any thoughts on this?

I installed my slug kit, which I have heard has an open recall on it from FX, and I think I know why.... Mine did not have the same diameter hole for the screw that holds it in as the stock probe. I had to drill it out a bit. Seems OK now... 13 gram hammer, btw

Anyway, hammer adjustment 6mm out (furthest recommended)... shooting inconsistent lowish-mid 900s on PW7 setting, but like 1000FPS pretty consistent on PW2 with 25gr slugs. What's that about? Didn't really test the interim power wheel settings as I only had limited time. My 2nd reg is at 135 or 140 or so. How could the 7 setting have a less powerful and more inconsistent shot while the 2 setting is hitting 1000fps? 

I'd love to find a proper tune to have lowish (8-850fps)power on the lower PW settings and 1000+fps on PW6/7. Maybe I need the 11 gram hammer rather than the 13g one that came with the slug kit?

Any thoughts on this?

Sorry to hear about Probe hole not being in-line, dang. Stuff happens and we deal, whether it be FX, Daystate, Uragan.....it just does.

Classic tuning problem. Others might chime in with detail. Do a search for "tuning a PCP", if you must. Hammer weight, Hammer spring and Reg are not in harmony as I can tell. You will get it, I have confidence.

13gr hammer (FX .30 cal) for the .22 and 135-140b bar? Not going to have a great tune there. That hammer/probe combo is intended for 150+ bar give or take. I would have an 11gr in your repertoire as a fine tune weight. I believe you are on the right track.

No worries, guys, and thanks for the replies. I will see if I can get the 11g hammer from FX. I am actually very experienced with tuning hammer springs to reg pressures and finding the sweet spot (25+ years of paintball.... mostly autocockers). I just need to sweet spot it and then LEAVE IT ALONE. Haha. Just a little bit of a learning curve with the Maverick since this is my first endeavor with the platform. 

Was ringing 5" steel from 120 yards shot after shot with boring regularity on the PW2 setting with 25gr slugs @1000fps the other day. If I could get that to be around the PW5/6/7 setting and have the lower settings in the mid 8's that would be my ideal tune. Having some adjustability to get more efficiency at the lower settings when needed versus massive power on the high settings is my goal. 

You are sitting almost exactly where I am with my settings Doom. If you turn your hammer spring all the way in, I am betting you will be shooting in the 1050 range on pw7 and can get into the 860 range on pw1. I have mine running on pw4 right now and it is sitting at 1000 fps which seemed to be a nice spot. Now waiting for the superior heavy liner and the heavier slugs to make use of that extra power.

@Bunkeru2k - Thanks for your reply. I see from your username that perhaps you play paintball also? If so, niiiiiiice. :) I have been playing for ages and currently play on the Shocktech Factory team, Gunfighters. I am 35 and still doing it and competing all over the place. Mechanical paintball (no electronic guns) is back in a big way! 

So just to be clear.... You have your hammer adjustment turned in completely so the head of the screw is sitting up against the body of the spring retainer? What are your first and second reg settings, if ya don't mind? Last night I set my first reg to like 160-170 or so and the rear to like 140. I also just requested the 11gram hammer from FX, but it sounds like I may not need it (will buy it anyway).

Small world Mr Doom. I have been playing since 1988 and not only that, but I am playing ICPL and ICC mech (which is all I have played for the last few years) for Wiseguys.

I do have my screw turned all the way up against the body of the retainer. I was in the exact spot you are now...although when I started I was at 150 on 1st reg and 120 on 2nd reg. Changing to the heavy hammer and nothing else, I was getting the same flipped velocities you are. I just started screwing that hammer spring screw down a half turn per shot and chrono and could watch the velocity on pw7 increase every turn til I finally hit bottom. After that, I replaced the FX gauges with Huma so I could figure out what my pressures really were....then bumped them up to 170 on 1st reg and 140 on 2nd reg. I put the slug probe in (after I finally got around to drillng the damn hole the right size) and was seeing the 24.8 NSA slug at 1050 on pw7. I am pretty sure that going up in pressure would help with the tune and allow a smoother spread across the power wheel. I get small decreases of about 10 fps from pw7 down to about pw4 then it kind of drops about 40 fps per click down from there.

Someone probably needs to have some aftermarket weights made so there is some easier to find adjustability. Maybe you can talk to Danny about getting some brass weights turned ;-)

@bunkeru2k - See you at ICPL Chicago and possibly ICC! Not sure how Danny would feel about breaking into the aftermarket PCP parts game.... "Is that a Gunfighter frame on your.....Maverick??!?" Haha. Honestly though, the market is there and if he started making moderators, regs, scope mounts, cocking handles, etc he could probably do pretty well with it. I will say something next time I see him. Probably get the stink-eye.... But imagine how dope it would be to have Shocktech parts on your PCP! 😍

Your description here is probably/hopefully the thing that is going to get me 100% sorted. Thank you, kindly. Out come the allen keys once again. Will report back with results. I hope (know) this thread will be super useful to other new Maverick owners, and I am again very appreciative of all the responses from you guys.

Holy hell, bois! I have the Maverick .22 tuned PERFECTLY now.

Settings: 

High reg: 160bar
20210427_203300.1619891927.jpg

Low reg: 120 bar

20210501_124508.1619892006.jpg

Slug power kit installed, 13 gram hammer, power wheel at 6, hammer adjustment all the way IN

979-986 FPS across 20 shots

5 shots w/25gr NSA slugs @50 yards!!

20210501_124313.1619892141.jpg