• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Maverick Owner - Please help me out with a few issues! :(

One suggestion I would make regarding Loctite....Blue Loctite on very small screw can sometimes cause some issues with stripping screws heads when removing them. I would actually recommend using their purple variety for smaller screws (which is used in gunsmithing frequently). I tend to use blue on larger screws or anything I want to be fairly permanent and the purple on things that may need to be broken loose or adjusted.

DOOM, I would double check your rail for the built in "20 MOA" I have the first gen Maverick Snipper in .22 and and WCMK3 and neither one has the "20 MOA" rail as advertised.

My .22 Maverick has the 11gr hammer(.25?) from the factory, some came with the 7gr. My .30 MK3 has the 13gr. My current tune on the maverick is having the 1st reg. set @170bar and the 2nd reg. set @145bar. Ernest Rowe dual TP and DIY modified probe. Hammer Spring is 6mm (+- .003 for tuning) and set on #7 shooting JSB KO 25.39 .2165 @ 990fps.

My Eagle Vision 30mm have my scope height right at 2.77" above bore. Rear ring elevation is set with .076 for a zero @100. Hope you get it dialed in so you can enjoy it.

Patrick

How many shots do you get at these settings? On mine i get around 100

Getting 75 shots with this tune.

I have a .22 sniper too. A few tips:

- Get at least the medium, or heavy hammer. You can get these from FX. This post has part numbers.

- Instead of getting the heavy hammer alone, think about getting the slug kit for the Maverick which includes the heavy hammer weight.

- Also consider a Huma Air transfer port if you want shoot slugs above 22gr.

- I have found that the Maverick shoots middle-weight slugs (25-28gr) best. In my experience they shoot better than the lighter slugs at long ranges (100 yards). I use the heavy hammer, and it's working with the slug kit + huma air t-port, but I haven't tried using the medium hammer with that outfit yet (heavy may be overkill, but it's deadly accurate shooting long range, at least for now.) I have my hammer spring tension turned pretty far down and I just let the weight do the work--less kick that way and easy to be accurate. The JSB 25.39 redesign pellets are deadly too, especially below 75yds.

Anyway, there are probably all kinds of good combinations, and mine is only one. I'm still learning about it, but happy so far.

16186074987981415048234139288454.1618607596.jpg

Wellllp.... no 20MOA cant! Both levels are completely level. D'oh!

I'll be emailing FX to see if I can get the advertised 20 MOA rail.... ooof

Just checked mine, no 20MOA...I tough they all supposed to have a 20 MOA rail from day one !!!???

B

B - Maybe email FX Support like I did. I'd think if a few of the same requests come in they will realize this is definitely a real issue. I sent 'em the picture I posted above and asked for a new rail. I'll update if I get a response.

Also I did order the slug kit with pin probe and heavy hammer. And since I already have the dual transfer port, only need to receive the FX No Limit rings and I should be in business. This thing is ultra quiet with my DonnyFL Tanto and I can't wait to start actually using it. Hopefully all these things will have me sorted. I should have everything in 2 days. 

I appreciate the vote of confidence Mike! I mess up all the time though, haha. I should have mentioned that I'm using the loctite 248 in the stick, and not the liquid. It doesn't hold nearly as strong as the liquid stuff does on small screws.

Doom, that's interesting that they haven't heard of no MOA. I've heard of a lot of Maverick owners with the POI being very indicative of no MOA in the rail. I'm now running a 20 MOA mount on a 34mm scope, AND I shimmed the rear of the rail. Both of those combined probably gained me an end result of +10-15 MOA, tops. My scope has 80 MOA of elevation adjustment, and with the mount and shim, I can dial up about 50 MOA above a 30 yard zero. Needless to say, that certainly doesn't support the idea that my Maverick has a 20 MOA rail... I may have to shoot FX an email as well! While my setup is working just fine, I'm not a fan of having to put a shim underneath the rail mounting screws.

**EDIT

I just shot FX an email too, to back up your claims, so we'll se what happens ;) 

Thanks, Rallyshark. More voices are always good to bring issues to light and get solutions. I mean, the adjustable scope mounts will probably sort me out, but I paid for a 20MOA rail and I damn well want what I paid for! In good news, my Maverick has been holding 250bar perfectly with no leakage after 4 days - so that's nice!

So when I get the No Limit mounts - should I be trying to zero in like the bottom 1/4 of the elevation turret's range? That way I will have TONS of UP adjustment for those long shots. Or is it better to get it zeroed very near to optically centered? Just kinda seems like I am wasting a ton of potential elevation if I do that (32.5MOA versus....much more). 

Sweet, thanks again, 2L8. Sounds like they are definitely aware of the issue, and likely we will be receiving new rails if that's the case. 

Anyone care to shed a bit of insight on my question on zeroing in the lower 1/4 of the elevation turret adjustment? My No Limit mounts are set to arrive today as well as my slug power kit. It snowed here in Chicagoland today but I still may make it out after work to do some shooting.

Well fellas... I got the FX No Limit Mounts. Didn't even need to adjust windage, and was able to zero about 9 or 10 MOA below optical center, leaving me with a ton of drop compensation adjustment without going too low to have the clarity or image suffer. 

Here is a 5 shot group at 50 yards. JSB Monster Redesigns. 875fps. Was able to ring steel at 120yds with these also. 

Thanks for providing not only some expertise, but also an outlet for me to 🅱️itch about this rifle until I got it right. It's 100% the most accurate and efficient air gun I have ever owned. 👊

20210420_185812.1618970432.jpg

I was just able to get back on here Doom, but it looks like you have it under control! How low on the elevation I usually try to adjust the rings depends on the ability of the scope for me. You can go pretty low on a decent scope without any real negative optical effects. I usually try for a zero that gives me at least half of the elevation range to dial up. My current scope has about 80 MOA of elevation, and currently I can dial up about 53 MOA. Some people may be thinking "what more could you need", but I'll use every bit of that :D That will let me dial up to about a 275 yard zero with my usual tune(31.2 grain NSA slugs around 965-970 fps). With holdover, it'll get me out to around 350 yards without having to zoom out too much.

Now, if I want to beat my current longest shot on a can, I'll have to give myself a bit more on the elevation range. My scope has hash marks down to 40 MOA. My longest shot so far is 400 yards. I think I'll need to re-shim the scope rail at some point to give myself about 65 MOA of adjustment to beat that mark. 400 yards will require about 92 MOA over my usual 30 yard zero 😲 Obviously, there's no practical reason to do that, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to try! In every day use, I've managed to give myself plenty of adjustment. I'll have to get pretty bored to try and beat that 400 yard mark, if I'm honest haha.

I'm glad you got that bad boy zeroed and drilling some groups! It looks like it is a laser, nice work!

B - Literally on the FX website for the Maverick it says "All Mavericks have 20 MOA built into the picatinny scope rail..."

We have determined that is FALSE! Lol. Anyone who doesn't have that 20MOA built in should contact FX so our voices are heard. 

Next question - I now have the slug power kit. 13g hammer, slug pin probe. How long should the pin be sticking out of the probe body? Just match the total length with the total length of the stock probe? 

Next question - I now have the slug power kit. 13g hammer, slug pin probe. How long should the pin be sticking out of the probe body? Just match the total length with the total length of the stock probe?

My pin probe isn't adjustable, because I made my own. I basically made the pin on mine as long as possible, while still being able to load the magazine with no issues. When the gun is cocked, it is almost flush with the breech block, but not quite flush. I did that, because I want my slugs seated as far in as they can go. You aren't going to have any issues with the pin probe being to long as long as the magazine clears. The only time you may need to shorten it, is if you were using super long slugs, or slugs with a much rounder shoulder on them like the Huben slugs. The Huben type slugs are the only ones I've had give me any resistance on loading honestly. I use the NSA 31.2 grain almost exclusively, and I have zero issues seating them. Obviously, with lighter slugs, it shouldn't even be a thought. Just make it as long as you can, and you'll be fine :)