• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Maverick Hammer

My new Maveric VP 600mm .25cal incoming from SPAW has a 13g weight as per an email from Ken. I'm fine with this I guess since I intend to use 33gr slugs or so but isnt the stock weight 11g? What is the weight of the power kit [hammer] then or are there other differences in that? No extra spring of any difference comes with that I don't see.
Many Thanks,

Last edited:
What is your hammer weight recommendation for Maverick with a 700mm barrel and 170 bars on reg?
You would want at least the 13g hammer. The weight alone is not what has the most bearing on all this. The larger weights increase the spring preload which is what makes a lot of the difference. Different materials are also going to give you different weights because they will not be the same thickness as the stock steel, Tungsten is going to be the heaviest, but I am not exactly sure where it falls on the thickness compared to brass or steel ones out there.

Watched the reassembly...when putting on the wheel how does one know when it is indexed to the actual start of 1, 2, etc.
The position of removal vs installation doesnt matter, as the setting is machined into the back side of the wheel itself. Just make sure the ball/detent is lined up and you dont crossthread the allen screw. I can add that my new/used 500mm Wildcat came with the 13g/56mm spring (among other issues lol) and I had no control over the hammer/valve in 22 cal. Turning the hammer spring preload all the way max and all the way min produced the same high velocities. As noted above the heavier hammer weight also increases preload on the spring. So you can end up over-hammered if you mix and match the wrong parts. I put in a 52mm spring and now can control my speeds and pressure usage. It really depends on what reg pressure you intend to run. I settled on 125Bar, but the 500mm/22Cal vs say a 700mm/25Cal is going to want a different setting in both reg pressure and overall hammer strength.

As far as the OP setup, I think you will end up wanting at least the 13g if you intend to try slugs. I dont think you will be wishing you had a lighter hammer weight. 910 suggested using the shorter 52mm spring with the heavier hammer weights to prevent fps inconsistencies vs using the longer 56mm spring. I did experience that first hand, so can confirm for what thats worth. The FX tungsten weights are a big step up in weight and some people have found that they end up over-hammered and cant control velocities using the hammer knobs. Once again I have seen that first hand. If you are planning to go full bore maxed on aftermarket high pressure regs and heavy slugs at max velocities the tungsten make sense. Otherwise we have had better luck with the "middle" hammer weights at a small drop in speeds (and much higher shot counts).

I am going to tell you one bad thing about tungsten weights....if those leading edges are not really tapered or rounded down, they WILL destroy your blocks over time. This was a big issue with tungsten hammer weights in the old days of paintball. Some really nice guns got ruined by using those things. Granted that the paintball guns ran wayyyyyy more shots thru them than an air rifle, but I am not taking those chances.

The position of removal vs installation doesnt matter, as the setting is machined into the back side of the wheel itself. Just make sure the ball/detent is lined up and you dont crossthread the allen screw. I can add that my new/used 500mm Wildcat came with the 13g/56mm spring (among other issues lol) and I had no control over the hammer/valve in 22 cal. Turning the hammer spring preload all the way max and all the way min produced the same high velocities. As noted above the heavier hammer weight also increases preload on the spring. So you can end up over-hammered if you mix and match the wrong parts. I put in a 52mm spring and now can control my speeds and pressure usage. It really depends on what reg pressure you intend to run. I settled on 125Bar, but the 500mm/22Cal vs say a 700mm/25Cal is going to want a different setting in both reg pressure and overall hammer strength.

As far as the OP setup, I think you will end up wanting at least the 13g if you intend to try slugs. I dont think you will be wishing you had a lighter hammer weight. 910 suggested using the shorter 52mm spring with the heavier hammer weights to prevent fps inconsistencies vs using the longer 56mm spring. I did experience that first hand, so can confirm for what thats worth. The FX tungsten weights are a big step up in weight and some people have found that they end up over-hammered and cant control velocities using the hammer knobs. Once again I have seen that first hand. If you are planning to go full bore maxed on aftermarket high pressure regs and heavy slugs at max velocities the tungsten make sense. Otherwise we have had better luck with the "middle" hammer weights at a small drop in speeds (and much higher shot counts).

How much of a difference does the slug probe make ? The slug kit for .22 must be the 13g hammer. I guess I watched the wrong video on the power dial. But it makes sense since its stepped. I'm mostly shooting heavy pellets and must have the 7g installed, seems way light. Might just try the 13g hammer without the probe first.

How much of a difference does the slug probe make ? The slug kit for .22 must be the 13g hammer. I guess I watched the wrong video on the power dial. But it makes sense since its stepped. I'm mostly shooting heavy pellets and must have the 7g installed, seems way light. Might just try the 13g hammer without the probe first.
My wildcat has the stock FX pellet probe in it right now. I cant tell you how much fps it might give for sure, but my guess would be 10-25fps in my specific setup. Also to note, my Wildcat is a tube version compact with a 910 plenum. So my results will be different than a BT or Maverick. The more radical your rig, the better numbers you might see going to the slug probe. I dont know about the Maverick/Wildcat slug kit, but FX did start selling the Impact slug kits with an FX tungsten hammer weight at some point. And unfortunately FX doesnt do a great job marketing some of their products. A simple description blurb they could send to retailers would go a long way. I do plan on picking up the slug kit and as mentioned above, I think it comes with something heavier than 13g (likely tungsten). I saw a nice fps bump in my Impact with the Huma slug probe, so it would be nice to see similar in the Wildcat.

My wildcat has the stock FX pellet probe in it right now. I cant tell you how much fps it might give for sure, but my guess would be 10-25fps in my specific setup. Also to note, my Wildcat is a tube version compact with a 910 plenum. So my results will be different than a BT or Maverick. The more radical your rig, the better numbers you might see going to the slug probe. I dont know about the Maverick/Wildcat slug kit, but FX did start selling the Impact slug kits with an FX tungsten hammer weight at some point. And unfortunately FX doesnt do a great job marketing some of their products. A simple description blurb they could send to retailers would go a long way. I do plan on picking up the slug kit and as mentioned above, I think it comes with something heavier than 13g (likely tungsten). I saw a nice fps bump in my Impact with the Huma slug probe, so it would be nice to see similar in the Wildcat.

I'm thinking, after checking around, that the slug probe is only an upgrade because it's pin is adjustable. And I hope the new hammer isn't tungsten . The 13g would be fine or even the 11g may have worked. Any heavier might be overkill.

I almost went with the Wildcat. Everyone says it's super nice for hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: MongooseV8
I'm thinking, after checking around, that the slug probe is only an upgrade because it's pin is adjustable. And I hope the new hammer isn't tungsten . The 13g would be fine or even the 11g may have worked. Any heavier might be overkill.

I almost went with the Wildcat. Everyone says it's super nice for hunting.

Could very well be 13g still. Scottg0814 got one in his kit, but that is just the factory FX 30Cal hammer weight. I like it for my setup so far, I dont plan to use anything heavier.

Reactions: Headshots
My new Maveric VP 600mm .25cal incoming from SPAW has a 13g weight as per an email from Ken. I'm fine with this I guess since I intend to use 33gr slugs or so but isnt the stock weight 11g? What is the weight of the power kit [hammer] then or are there other differences in that? No extra spring of any difference comes with that I don't see.
Many Thanks,
Bit puzzled by the final sentence but I’ve played around with all of the hammers trying to sling large slugs from a wildcat BT, which is the same setup as the Maverick. I bought a power spring from Huma and found that using that spring with lighter hammer (14.5G; also from Huma) produced a much better ES vs. using the standard spring with a Tungsten hammer. In addition, the hammer strike with Tungsten yielded a horrible high pitched ping which I couldn’t live with. Of course, YMMV.

Reactions: AlabamaLarry