Tuning New Marauder Pistol leak

Try as I might, I have been unable to find my answer through searching. I got a new Marauder pistol, and the gauge has parallel threads which apparently is the new and improved design. Well, mine has leaked since the first day i got it (500-700) psi overnight. The first thing I looked at was the gauge. Sure enough it was hardly finger tight after being degassed. I tightened it up, hoping that would fix the issue, and had a similar result the next morning. Tried all the usual fixes and had no luck. Ordered some 009 o-rings, and that has not fixed the issue either. My question is, does anyone know what the o-ring like material is that came from the factory? It does not appear to be an o-ring, but some type of gasket material perhaps? Any suggestions on fixing the leak are also appreciated. Has anyone had any luck with gasket material and a punch set to make a semi-custom remedy?

20220221_165357.1645485832.jpg

Check carefully for gouges and scratches around the sealing surfaces. Tools like the metal picks commonly used to dig out old o-rings will leave micro scratches that slowly leak. They are usually easily fixed. Some flat seals just need a silicone grease application to help seal. I've found it best to use pure silicone grease on all sealing o-ring applications.

I've made small flat gaskets to seal air gages out of a large flat black silicone rubber washer. Drill a small hole in the center first (it doesn't need to be a big hole for the air gage) then cut it out to the desired diameter with scissors.

Oh didn't know they had changed from the npt threads. Mine is from the first batch shipped out and has the tapered pipe threads but it to leaked new, I solved it by carefully wrapping many layers of Teflon tape on the threads and still holds today, pipe dope wouldn't hold.

I do realize you have parallel threads but it may work for yours too in conjunction with that gasket.

Don't be stingy on the tape but be careful not to get into the pathway of air.

I owned the prod from 2014. Not sure how much it change since but my prod always leak at the guage. This is because there is no o ring like the marauder rifle. Its just a straight hold through into the port. What I use to seal is use yellow pipe thread which is use for gas. The white type is only use for water pvc and doesn't hold air. Switch to the yellow tape and haven't leak since.

First of all. are you sure you want to fix the problem and not send it back? are you sure it is the Gauge port leaking?, confirm with soapy water, if it leaks replace seal, try a Delrin seal for 1/8" bsp, Also check the fill port, there are times it might leak if it is an "OLD" stock gun, (new but has been sitting for a long time), if it's the fill port leaking you could replace the 1/8"bsp fosters valve or try a #006 O-ring, lube all O-rings with Silicone grease/ oil. or it could be the Poppet not sealing properly, try the balloon test on the barrel with the shroud removed. if that leaks you could remove the poppet and burnish the seal with a oiled rag and a screw gun, 

But if you don't want to do any of this stuff....... Send it back, it's new and you don't need to fix it yourself unless you don't care about Warranty..... I myself find warranties useless for certain Items..... good luck

I've confirmed with the soapy water test. Its leaking from the gauge for sure. I have not tested other places yet. Trying to fix one thing at a time i guess. I'd rather tinker with it myself than go through the hassle of sending it back for now. I've also contacted the retailer to see if they have any suggestions on what that seal / gasket part is.

That’s an X ring that the factory used. Re install it and put an o ring with the same outside diameter as that x ring and 1/16” thick on top of the x ring and that should seal it. 

it’s common practice to place one o ring on top of an x ring to help orient the gage to how you want to view it and also by doing so it adds thickness to the seal as you thread the gage back on

This is an interesting thread. My Crosman 1720T started leaking at the guage two weeks ago... not at the threads, faulty guage. Then I found out that they had changed the thread design. I have the Marauder rifle and pistol too and had to replace the rifle guage a couple years ago. I called Crosman and was able to order the original pipe-thread guages from them directly and received four of them last week.

I'm wondering why the change was made because I never had a leaking problem with the threads before.

This is an interesting thread. My Crosman 1720T started leaking at the guage two weeks ago... not at the threads, faulty guage. Then I found out that they had changed the thread design. I have the Marauder rifle and pistol too and had to replace the rifle guage a couple years ago. I called Crosman and was able to order the original pipe-thread guages from them directly and received four of them last week.

I'm wondering why the change was made because I never had a leaking problem with the threads before.

Probably due to a change in vendors, cheaper part.

Hard Air Magazine has an article about the change on March 26, 2021. They say the change was made from tapered threads to parallel threads to reduce the chance of leaking. I don't buy it. The change affects models from about 2020 on.

If you have older models like I have, you need to buy a guage adapter so you can use the newer gauges. That's why I purchased four replacements now...just in case.