New Marauder Owner

I’m new to the to the forum and PCP airguns. I purchased a 22 cal. Marauder L/W because my wife’s pit bull is deathly afraid of gunfire and she wants me to thin out the starlings at her bird feeders.
I have a ultimate 10/22 I built, so I like to tinker.
So far I’m pretty happy with the accuracy, shot report is very quiet (I can shoot with the pit bull sitting next to me).
So I would like to tinker with my Marauder, I don’t do gimmick modifications to any of my firearms.
I would like advice on truly beneficial modifications to increase accuracy, shot counts, velocity is at the bottom of the list.
I’m not afraid of buying quality parts, I have an embarrassing investment in my 10/22.
Thanks

Reactions: tcarlson777
In my opinion, the best upgrade is just finding the right pellet (mine likes JSB 15.89gr / AA 16gr). Do that and then just shoot away and enjoy it. The Marauder (mine is regulated with a LW too) shoots well enough out of the box that mods shouldn't be necessary. The amount of money that you will dump into it is better spent on just buying a higher end gun someday if the bug really bites you. Thats just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the airgun world. This sport is a beautiful thing. You can go over to JSAR (Jefferson State Air Rifles) and look at the valves, lightweight air tubes, hammer mods and springs. I've had my non-reg'd Marauder since 2019 and only ever turned the HS up. Once I got bit by that bug, I went and bought a Dreamline after that. You'll see. Lol.

Reactions: JEHolloway
The aluminum tube was one I was looking at doing. Anyone have a lead on one???
I was thinking about regulating it, I didn’t get the F/T model because it didn’t appear that the regulator was adjustable.
I will have to start the chrono process this weekend.
Is there a section for modified marauders??? Similar to ultimate 10/22 over at rimfire central???

EB,
No specific section, search "Benjamin Marauder" in the AGN SEARCH section and you'll have plenty to read. A regulator is nice but many have enjoyed the "Mrod" without one, for years. A word to the wise, this air gun hobby is addictive, don't go crazy investing in the Marauder, follow Sqwirlfugger's advice, save for the upgrade. WM

Reactions: Sqwirl57
If you have a chrony see what speed your Mrod is shooting at. I liked you said "velocity is at the bottom of the list". Good attitude. Accuracy is what counts. Adjustments you can do without having to buy any extras might increase shot count, accuracy, etc. but some Marauders are sweet out of the box. Search this forum or YouTube. Lots of Marauder info.

From a guy with a Marauder with all the goodies, some basic advice. Yes, regulate, Yes, JSB, Yes do porting on the bore to valve pathway to improve airflow.
After porting (but before you install regulator) shoot a shot string and monitor the velocity, at some point you will hit a knee where velocity starts to notably drop off, look at your gauge and record what pressure that was at. When you install your regulator, set it for 100 PSI higher than where the knee was. This will also make it even quieter and more efficient (use less air per shot, less wasted air and noise per shot). With this configuration a lighter hammer works better, along with a better hammer spring arrangement.

Ok, you guys are helping me formulate a plan of attack, and yes I do have a chrony (didn’t all Americans born in the early 60’s Have one)
  1. How much should I enlargen the port???
  2. Hit a knee??? Clarify, explanation???
  3. Regulator, Huma??? Is it possible to set up to how much psi in tank and how much psi per shot???
  4. Hammer and spring suggestions??? (To prevent hammer bounce?)

You know you guys are going to have to help me tune this thing.
I’m going to start by getting a base line off there chrony this weekend.
After a break in period of approximately 100rds. I shot a 20 shot group of .350” @ 25yds, all lubed with bore butter, JSB match Diabolo Exact Jumbo 15.89gr.
This is like learning to reload all over again!!!

Hello EBSF1911,
The Marauder is a Great Mid Skill rifle that has the potential to compete with the High End rifles. IMO for what you're doing, pellet sampling and basic tuning is all you should need for it to be a 100 yard laser. No need to get crazy with it if it does the job and you're happy with it. There is an ENDLESS amount of mods out there for the marauders, it just depends on what you want and how far are you willing to go. Or just buy a high end rifle and repeat the process.
I'm stubborn and I easily lose track of what I working on.
Started
1658110876897.png

Finished?
1658110834974.png

Reactions: JEHolloway
Hay H, welcom to the addiction. Marauders are great guns. The three I've had were accurate right out of the box. Minute of starling at 60-70 yards with me shooting. 15to 20 yards further with my buddy shooting. I bought a bunch of after market produts for mine before I realized I didn't have the mechanical ability to install them. My remaining Marauder is still factory stock. The parts I bought- Huma reg, .25 cal. JSAR valve, hammer, and springs. Aluminum tank extension. Boyd stock. If you want me to, I'll see if I can find the tank extension and come up with a price.

There are SOOOOOO many things you can do with an M-rod!!!
The best advice I can think of is:
1) Get rid of 'the lawyer spring'.
2) read everything you can find WHILE you're shooting it. The things you want to do will find their way to the top of your list, as you go.

Otherwise, if it was me:
--polish the barrel
--check & address the crown
--polish the trigger parts
--polish the hammer
--polish the hammer tube
--open & lock-tite the micro adjuster (or remove & plug)
--replace the transfer port with one, up-to-but-not-more-than 80% of bore size.
--open valve port to match transfer port (use caution and go slow)
--'round' the pathway corners of the valve for smoother air flow.
--shim the gap around the barrel band to 'snug' up the barrel

Beyond that.....the sky is the limit.
But BEWARE! It's addicting!!!!