New manufacturers PCP airgun pricing trend...

Generally speaking it is a lot easier for a manufacturer to lower prices after a launch than to raise them. In fact, most manufacturers do not actually lower the price, they simply offer a rebate, or a bigger discount to the wholesaler or distributor while maintaining the MSRP.. Because of this, manufacturers tend to price as high as they can and then see what sticks (this does not apply only to airguns). They choose the segment fo the market that they wish to compete in and price accordingly. If the product offering is not able to sustain the higher pricing the product will be on permanent/consistent markdown.

The rise of the “Web Presence Only” (WPO) brands coupled with on-demand manufacturing in (primarily) China has made this whole approach very prevalent, and not only in airguns. Needless to say, this can create major problems for the customer if there is any kind of supply disruption and doesn’t do much for the availability of spare parts and warranty work.

At the same time, this approach has worked very well for a number of brands since it enables a significant product presence without a major initial investment in manufacturing. If the company then proceeds to invest heavily in, for example, a US presence, coupled with robust after sales service, warranty, as well as parts and product inventory then you get the beginnings of a really good brand. This is the approach of people like Athlon and Vortex, to name a few.

I personally will not take a chance on any WPO brand when they first start operating, especially if they are priced like to established players. Too many of them spend all their money on marketing, including reviews touting how wonderful this brand new, untested brand is, rather than investing in the required presence and support functions. No need to name names since you all know various names that pop out of nowhere but get shouted to the roof tops by reviewers… If, over time, they prove their worth then they may have a chance at my dollars.

On the other hand, I WILL take a chance on a new brand that’s priced attractively relative to the features they offer. Again, this was the approach of people like Athlon and Vortex before they made it into the higher tiers. Similarly, some of the Chinese manufacturers are trying to establish their own brands rather than just being contract manufacturers for everyone else. Generally they are priced quite attractively for the features they offer. I have had good luck with people like West Hunter on Amazon, for example. Are they as good as Athlon, Vortex, Hawke, Leupold, etc? No, but their prices are very low and they offer decent service (or at least, they respond to any questions I have asked since I have not really had any thing break).

I feel this way about most new brands, not just airgun or shooting related. Paying (almost) full top price for an unknown brand made in a far away land just to save a couple hundred buck on a $2,000+ item makes no sense to me. I wouldn’t do it with a Camera or lens, so why would I do it with an airgun?

As always, this is my opinion and YMMV.

Chris
Summed it up! Cannot disagree with anything you said.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
I was thinking of the OP a bit more, and realized most people focus on the top tier Web only airguns (concept airguns or new companies), but honestly there are 10x more web only distribution for entry level airguns. There was a company a while ago called Cattleman airguns or something like that. They gave out free airguns and made claims about their accuracy out to 100y and so on that were not true. But just because something is Web only doesn't make it spotty. DAR comes to mind as an established web only distribution of a product that remains affordable. I think if it's web only it is all about getting your reputation out through trusted reviewers that are not going to BS and will be honest about the product, pros and cons. That is a cheaper process than having a brick and mortar business.