• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Law Impacting Airguns? Eeeek regulations

Screenshot_20210207-173000.1612747814.png

Had a long convo today with a gun lawyer friend of mine. Watch out gang, the regulations accompanying this are so broad that it could impact airgunning easily (threaded barrels and so on). Anyone read this? My gun lawyer says a large portion could apply directly or indirectly to airguns, like the second hand consequences for manufactures which will hit airgunners as well (price per barrel unit, customs, etc). I shoot M4 precision rifles but this is written so broadly I can see some counterfactual reprocussions for airguns. Maybe some lawyers can chime in.

Please only discuss law/s not politics as per @michael's member laws. Thanks

Really difficult to discuss this without becoming political. This has just been introduced and IMO is just short of BSC (batpoopcrazy). If it makes it into a committee, I doubt it would make it out.

If it looks like it’s beginning to gain traction, please bring it up again, but until then, I think it is FUD designed to get someone’s panties in a knot.

~DW~

Really difficult to discuss this without becoming political. This has just been introduced and IMO is just short of BSC (batpoopcrazy). If it makes it into a committee, I doubt it would make it out.

If it looks like it’s beginning to gain traction, please bring it up again, but until then, I think it is FUD designed to get someone’s panties in a knot.

~DW~

I agree on the difficult with the political since laws are made by politicians. However, I think what the laws @michael set for us govern non-law/regulation discussion of politics (what we colloquially mean by talking politics). This law should be discussed by airgunners in a bipartisan fashion since it impacts the sport. Hope my understanding is correct and my intention is understood. If anyone abuses this thread lock it down asap. I want to discuss the impact of it on manufacturing mostly, as I see a price increase looming if it passes.

~DW~

Well, without being political, there is always this. BSC has become the normal. I fear for the Republic, if we even still have one. I would doubt any regulation or rulings are accidental.

Just so long as nobody does stupid things like shoot slugs without a known safe backstop or their way further down backdrop in their urban neighborhood not realizing how far they can effectively travel. Its effectiveness is likely shooting between a standard velocity 22 Rimfire and a short and even more so using larger caliber slugs.

Can you imagine how far the travel distance the pass throughs at the bird on a wire shot at the upward angle or ricochets FROM the concrete pavement or hidden rocks in the grass can actually travel and the damage due to the superior ballistics of modern day slugs?

Just the sound of pellet ricochets from a sub 12fpe 177 pellet makes me wonder.

I believe that they who ever they are will have to go after mussel loaders crossbows simultaneously, because like airguns not considered a firearm according to Alphabet org,E . But like everything else that can all change especially if a whacko makes major news with a mass assault. So hopefully the hobbyists will be carful with large calibers and slugs. So far we have been lucky depending on where you live. Be careful and good luck 

This bill has been introduced several times (at least 3) and goes into committee to die. I don't think this is anything we have to worry about. Something might come down the road eventually, but I don't think this is it.

GsT

YET.

It's never a problem -- until it is.

All that would have to happen for the entirety of this bill to affect the airgun community is for the Alphabet org to "redefine" the term "firearm" to include any weapon with a barrel that propels a projectile.

And yes, they can do that without creating and passing a new law. See what they did with bumpstocks if you don't believe me...

Edit: BTW, if the Alphabet org do that -- even if this new bill doesn't pass -- anyone with a full auto pellet rifle would instantly be subject to federal prison time for possession of a machine gun / unlicensed NFA firearm. Something to keep in mind...

This bill has been introduced several times (at least 3) and goes into committee to die. I don't think this is anything we have to worry about. Something might come down the road eventually, but I don't think this is it.

GsT

YET.

It's never a problem -- until it is.

All that would have to happen for the entirety of this bill to affect the airgun community is for the Alphabet org to "redefine" the term "firearm" to include any weapon with a barrel that propels a projectile.

And yes, they can do that without creating and passing a new law. See what they did with bumpstocks if you don't believe me...

Edit: BTW, if the Alphabet org do that -- even if this new bill doesn't pass -- anyone with a full auto pellet rifle would instantly be subject to federal prison time for possession of a machine gun / unlicensed NFA firearm. Something to keep in mind...

Yet. Exactly.

Never EVER think that those who disapprove of the shooting sports will rest until every last machine that expels projectiles is banned or regulated. I happen to live in the hellhole known as California and, as most of you know, it is has been a nightmare for those of us who enjoy firearms.

But wait, you say, we’re not talking about firearms! True enough. But all it takes is for one person to misuse an airgun, and in short order they’ll be subject to the same regulations as firearms. 

A cautionary tale:

Years ago, I used to shoot a rifle chambered for the .50 BMG cartridge. I also used to belong to an organization known as the Fifty Caliber Shooter’s Association. FCSA was apolitical. Their position was that the rifles they competed with were far too big, far too heavy, and far too expensive for them to worry about being used in crimes. Therefore, they did not much care about the goings on at the state level when it came to firearms regulatory bodies. They were gentlemen shooters and figured they’d be treated as such.

Enter Arnold Schwarzenegger. Some fool of a state legislator convinced other state legislators that .50 BMG rifles could be used to shoot down a commercial airliner. They then decided that all rifles chambered in .50 BMG where now known to be assault weapons that had to be registered and could not be bought, sold, or transferred in the state of California. Arnold, the great grifter, signed the bill into law.

NEVER had any of these expensive specialty rifles EVER been used in ANY crime.

The point is, you can never think that these knuckleheads won’t come after us. It’s only a matter of time.

That’s why I don’t get the whole apolitical vibe of airgun forums. You’re kidding yourselves if you think politics won’t play an important role in any future regulations - they will, and the sooner everybody understands that, the better.

Reactions: AncientSword
There was a topic started here awhile back. What do you see new for airguns in 2021. Or something like that? I brought up this very thing. I knew it was coming. Some have said it's hard to discuss this without getting political. So what? It IS POLITICAL. 

These things need to be discussed within the shooting community. Burying our head in the sand because you're afraid to get political, is a great way to lose all your freedoms. And trust me. They do want to take most, if not all our freedoms away. To do that, you start with the 1st and 2nd Amendment. 

That statement is not accurate.

The Gov. have reclassified weapons before, look up the reclassification of the Street Sweeper and the Striker 12 as an example.

There was an amnesty period during which anyone in possession was offered the opportunity to register the weapon or to transfer it to a licensedf dealer of deatructive devices. There was not an immediate round up and prosecution of owners. 

Remember, at the time of purchase the weapon was legal, and purchased in good faith.

While a new level of lunacy and control would not actually surprise me, it is far more likely under the circumstances you propose that a grace period would be granted before prosecution would commence.

The Gov. have reclassified weapons before, look up the reclassification of the Street Sweeper and the Striker 12 as an example.

There was an amnesty period during which anyone in possession was offered the opportunity to register the weapon or to transfer it to a licensedf dealer of deatructive devices. There was not an immediate round up and prosecution of owners. 

Remember, at the time of purchase the weapon was legal, and purchased in good faith.

While a new level of lunacy and control would not actually surprise me, it is far more likely under the circumstances you propose that a grace period would be granted before prosecution would commence.

I agree!

When I purchased 20 rd mags they were legal until overnight. Then they weren't. Same when it went to 15 rd mags. Until overnight when they weren't. No grandfather clause, no buy back. Which is a bogus term. How do you "buy back" something you never owned? Just and instant felon overnight. I sold most, destroyed the rest. I see bad times ahead for anything gun related.