New Impact M3 slug setup

Just got my second Impact M3 that I plan on setting up to shoot .22 cal slugs (700mm barrel). I feel like I did ok with my .30 cal benchrest tune but I know slugs are whole new ballgame.

Wondering mostly about the slug liner and transfer port. Are they a "must have" upgrade for slugs or not so much? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

I've heard mixed reviews of the slug liner so I thought I'd try the stock one first. Thanks everyone!

It will depend on the size of slug you'd like to shoot. Larger slugs (34+gr) almost always need a more aggressive barrel. But, many of the smaller slugs (20-25gr) do just fine in a regular Superior barrel. When it comes to slugs, it's like we are back to 2010 - you don't know what works until you try it. There is way more variability compared to pellets. Some slug manufacturers sell "sample packs" or "mini packs" of their slugs for just such an occasion.

It will depend on the size of slug you'd like to shoot. Larger slugs (34+gr) almost always need a more aggressive barrel. But, many of the smaller slugs (20-25gr) do just fine in a regular Superior barrel. When it comes to slugs, it's like we are back to 2010 - you don't know what works until you try it. There is way more variability compared to pellets. Some slug manufacturers sell "sample packs" or "mini packs" of their slugs for just such an occasion.
Great info, thank you! I'll probably start with the lighter slugs then.

You will likely be able to do very well with a stock setup and lighter slugs. As noted above if you want to start using something heavier than ~30 grains I would look at some upgrades. Liner, Hammer system, etc. I would buy the slug probe and Huma transferport for any setup, as I have found them to increase velocity even otherwise stock. Not much, but ~10-15fps for a probe is still a solid gain without having to increase reg pressure. I like Nielsens, buddy really likes FX Hybrids but there are a good variety of weights and styles out there now.

The 24.8 grain 0.217" Nielsen slugs with the 700mm standard liner would be a good place to start.
I agree but make sure you are using the slug port. See where your rifle likes them between 950 and 1000 fps. You could also try the 20.2 grain Nielsen’s if you want a lower regulator setting and more shots. 27.5 grain worked very well for me too but not the 23.8. I feel like I am walking a tight rope now between performance in the wind (heavy slug) and low air consumption (light). I also want to have one tune , with just a macro change, that I can use for slugs and the 25.39 JSB MRD pellet for close in work.

I agree but make sure you are using the slug port. See where your rifle likes them between 950 and 1000 fps. You could also try the 20.2 grain Nielsen’s if you want a lower regulator setting and more shots. 27.5 grain worked very well for me too but not the 23.8. I feel like I am walking a tight rope now between performance in the wind (heavy slug) and low air consumption (light). I also want to have one tune , with just a macro change, that I can use for slugs and the 25.39 JSB MRD pellet for close in work.
I have that with my 600mm barrel using the 22 Redesign pellets and the JSB Knockouts. The knockouts hit three clicks to the left. I finally achieved the confidence needed with the slugs and took a couple Starlings today to verify their accuracy.