• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New HW97k

New HW97K in .22. Bought yesterday at Airguns of Arizona. Real good experience there.

Cleaned the barrel and removed the stock. The spring wasn't over loaded with lubricant. Re-assembled with loc tite on the stock bolts. Only have about 65 rounds through it and it looks like all dieseling is behind us. Seems to be shooting well, but needs some more rounds to settle in. I'm shooting H & N Field Target and Trophy; 14.66 gr. Open to suggestions on pellet choice others are having success with. It is sporting an older Leupold 6-20x 40mm objective scope, with a 50 foot adapter lens. The scope over hangs the loading port making loading harder but do-able. I'm shooting 20 yards now. This is my first under barrel and I think I'm liking it.

1556733434_12537587455cc9ddfadbbf69.23980189_IMG_2159.JPG

I hope the Leupie doesn't shake apart!. I was told by a few sources including Leupold, that they can endure a springer. I had a Leupold 3 x 9 on a R1, which is a boomer, and it did ok. I've had (and still have) 3 Leupolds. A 24x by 40mm benchrest, a 3 x 9 40mm vari x ll and the aforementioned 6 x 20 40mm. They have all been on top of quite a few guns, big bore, small bore and now springers and have been really great scopes. I hope the newer ones are as good. Not sure where they're made now; mine are in the neighborhood of 25 years old.

I have a newer model 6.5-20 EFR on my .177 HW97 and found I needed to use a high mount to have enough room to load a pellet. Also, for me, the medium mount was a tad low and I had to press my cheek firmly against the stock (not the best practice for a springer) to see through the scope. A high mount solved both issues and I adjusted quickly to the slightly more head-up position and very light cheek pressure.