New HW97 problem

In attempting to fit an aftermarket stock to my pet 97 I ran into a problem and then created another. The right front retaining screw hole in the new stock was off center by just a few .00”. It had metal screw cups but I thought because I could get the screw started, with a bit more force I could make it work. WRONG. I proceeded in stripping the threads in the “U” shaped retaining bracket. NOW my question is, should I drill and retap both holes (orig 5mm)? If so I’d have to go larger and 6mm seems awfully big. 7/32” maybe? Any ideas? Thanks! UJ

First thing id do is run a tap through what you got, and try a fresh screw. If it's good, but a little loose, try peening around the hole with a sharp punch to tighten things up a bit. And maybe run the tap through again afterwards. I've saved a couple this way.

The problem you'll have here is the bracket is so thin. So a helicoil that's usually a good option is a little iffy since it's only a few threads are most.

Welding it up and redrilling and tapping is the best way.

Instead of peening the tapped hole after it has been re-tapped I would probably lightly peen the few threads of the screw that are making contact with the re-tapped threads and lock-tite. Which degree of lock-tite to use I would leave to your discretion. If the peening don't go as well as expected you can replace the screw easier than a major part of your rifle. Good luck

Is there room for a clip on nut. McMaster Carr has them
1671464852030.png

I had the same thing happen. I was able to run a tap thru and straighten the threads. It looks like there is room for a nut to be used on the inside if all else fails. Anyone know if the fork could be replaced?
You have to cut the spot welds, and press the breech plug with the barrel out of the receiver. And then press it back together, align it, and reweld it. I've done it, and it's a LOT of work.