• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New HW35E in .177

You did perfect on the steam lift. Well worth the time. Your 35 is awesome. What’s next for it? Diopter maybe? Congratulations!
Good question BoG,
Where would you find a diotper for this gun? I did order a set of Sportsmatch rings for the gun and plan on mounting a scope. I really can't shoot open sights well enough to judge my accuracy or the pellets with a spinger.

I was pretty happy with the steaming effort. Thanks again

Zut

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Your lucky, keep it. Unfortunate for the dent. If you get compensation, great. If not I would still keep it. But too good to be true, Bear-of-Grayling’s advice should fix your problem.
I got 19 Weihrauch springers since January, not one stock in the ball park of yours. Crow
So you're the cause of the shortage of Weirauch's. LOL!! I am having trouble finding time to work on and shoot two springers. You must be a serious collector of fine airguns, Do you have a favorite model and caliber?

Zut

Good question BoG,
Where would you find a diotper for this gun? I did order a set of Sportsmatch rings for the gun and plan on mounting a scope. I really can't shoot open sights well enough to judge my accuracy or the pellets with a spinger.

Zut
[/QUOTE]
If you look around on eBay or similar you can find a vintage Anschutz or Weihrauch diopter. Be careful and make sure to get an 11mm. All Anschutz are 11mm. Weihrauch made their early ones in 13mm. Afterwards 11mm. So any Anschutz will work. This is my 35 with an Anschutz diopter but I have since replaced it with a 11mm Weihrauch. I think you would really enjoy your new 35 with a diopter.
4FF202F7-98AE-4CD8-BA42-5D8BD11B6DFD.jpeg
F947B232-2F15-4E57-B560-71B8AFB3F8C4.jpeg

You always want the trigger to return to the starting position when you release it. The first stage of the trigger does most of the work in disengaging the sear - the second stage obviously does only the last tiny bit. It's dangerous to have the trigger so light that it "sticks" at the second stage - literally a hair's breadth from the gun going off.

So keep the pull adjusted heavy enough to accomplish that. As the gun wears in and settles down you can probably gradually lighten it, but don't be in a rush.
MDriskill
I just re-read your comment.

I see what you mean by sticking at the second stage point. Watching the trigger blade, as I continue to lighten the weight,, you can see the trigger blade starting to move rearward. When I go beyond that point, the first stage is floppy. That was where I had the adjustment set. Not good.

So I brought the adjustment down to the point that the trigger starts to move rearward. Then I turned the screw in to increase pull weight. That seems to be about as light as I can go and have good feel on the first stage. The trigger goes off when expected but it does not feel quite as crisp like breaking glass as some describe it. It's not bad, I like the pull weight. I will check that with a friends gauge soon.

I adjusted he trigger on my HW50 the same way and it has a crisper feel at the point of fire.

These are nice triggers though and as a newbie with airrifles, I have lots to learn about them.

BTW, I have hunted big game with a 2 pound trigger for 45 years so I am used to light triggers.

Cheers
Zut

Good question BoG,

Zut
If you look around on eBay or similar you can find a vintage Anschutz or Weihrauch diopter. Be careful and make sure to get an 11mm. All Anschutz are 11mm. Weihrauch made their early ones in 13mm. Afterwards 11mm. So any Anschutz will work. This is my 35 with an Anschutz diopter but I have since replaced it with a 11mm Weihrauch. I think you would really enjoy your new 35 with a diopter. View attachment 278708View attachment 278709
[/QUOTE]
I'll keep and eye out on Ebay.

I really like your stock! Mine is great, but very dark heart wood and hard to see detail from a distance. Yours has more flame in the butt stock. Very nice

Thanks Bear,
I will see how it goes today with a little steam. I have a nice big soldering iron and was going to put a wet cotton cloth over the dent and heat it up with the iron. How would you attempt to steam it?

The good thing is it is just a dent, not a scratch or gouge.

Not on an airgun, but some 100 year old military rifles. I fold a paper towel, get it almost dripping wet, place over dent( or sometimes gouges), I then took an old steam iron my wife had discarded for anewer one, filled it with water and set on high steam and applied. Rewet the paper towel if needed and steam heavily. Most of the time a dent like that will come completely out, you may need a bit of refinshing, but I would take my chances on that stock as it looks so good.

Reactions: Zut
The HW35E is shooting very well. Today I shot several 5/8" 5 shot groups at 18 yards with open sights. Almost all pellets seem to shoot very well. These were the best groups of the day.

Baracuda Green 6.64grn 899fps 11.92fpe 5/8" group
JSB Exact Express 7.87grn 808fps 11.4 1fpe 3/4" group
JSB Diablo Exact 8.44grn 767fps 11.1fpe 3/4" group
Crossman HP 7.9grn 805fps 11.37fpe 1" group
Beeman Sting 8.64grn 807fps 12.50fpe 1.5" group (Old tin I had)

The Crossman H-P really seemed to be the best overall, but I would have a flyer every time to spread the group out. Still it's gonna be a great plinker round.

All the other pellets work very well. Moving out to 25 to 50yds will be where the rubber meets the road.

I am really enjoying shooting open sights with this gun. I am starting to rethink putting a scope on it.

Cheers
Zut

Yeah was going to suggest you steam out with a steam iron over a cloth …always worked for me provided wood was compressed, but not missing material.
Do not know if it is just me, but i think something was lost when HW and Diana started extending the forends to cover the breech block ….Think rifles look so much better with the shorter forend and the action more on show….
Not to mention a much shorter cocking slot and the solidity you get with that. In regard of cocking slot length, the 35 possibly the shortest slot ever….yet another reason for it being a great gun….
Well done with your steam job..
I am almost tempted to get a new version of this 35 but think i might sand away that forend chequering and mill in the slot of the old timer version…will have to see.

Glad it’s shooting well Zut and you did a great job on the stock. Kim thought she wanted to keep iron sights on her 50S till we moved out to 25 yards. Decided then she wanted to take full advantage of the accuracy these guns offer. I have an older Brazilian made Winchester 600 we keep open sights on. Looking for an older Weihrauch, Diana, FWB or similar that we’ll also keep open sights on. In summary, I think buying a few more air rifles will allow you to have the best of both worlds 😁

Reactions: Zut
Yeah was going to suggest you steam out with a steam iron over a cloth …always worked for me provided wood was compressed, but not missing material.
Do not know if it is just me, but i think something was lost when HW and Diana started extending the forends to cover the breech block ….Think rifles look so much better with the shorter forend and the action more on show….
Not to mention a much shorter cocking slot and the solidity you get with that. In regard of cocking slot length, the 35 possibly the shortest slot ever….yet another reason for it being a great gun….
Well done with your steam job..
I am almost tempted to get a new version of this 35 but think i might sand away that forend chequering and mill in the slot of the old timer version…will have to see.
When I started looking for a pellet rifle to shoot around the house I stumbled on an article about the HW35 being the longest running production airgun and I was smitten by the finger groove stock. It was the gun I really wanted, but then I found out the groove was replaced with the current version. How the heck could they think of getting rid of the iconic look.

Long story short, I bought the HW50 in .22. Well, that was okay but the 35 kept calling me. There was a recent thread that showed the new stock and how it was narrower then the original. I thought what the heck the metal works makes the 35 with the barrel latch and the milled end cap. So Krale had a blued 35E and out came the credit card.

Once I had one in my hand, the checkering looks pretty good and functions really well. The gun is of course heavy and that forearm checkering really is nice to grab and carry the gun. I think the new stock is gonna sway guys once they hold one. It will be interesting to see if Weihrauch goes back to the original for a select model or if sales drop off.

Cheers
Zut

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
I've been looking at the HW35E and I'm a bit confused on the stock the one at AOA has finger grooves while yours has checkering?? Is yours the new style or old style? Also I've seen where many here order from Krale why? The dent in your stock came out very nicely BTW..
Krale has not updated their pictures and the groove model is no longer available. Last I knew AOA has not updated their pictures either. If you order a 35E from either Krale or AOA it will be the new checkered model.