• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New HW35E in .177

Zut

Mar 25, 2022
Montana
I am a total rookie with these springers. So please let me know your opinions on my initial review.

I received a .177 caliber HW35E from Krale today. Amazing to receive a package from them in only 4 days, wow. But the packaging was really poor. The Weihrauch factory box was in an outer box with minimal bubble wrap protecting the inner box. The outer box had several good dents in it. I am surprised the gun got here in one piece.

Considering the damage to the box the gun only has a small but ugly dent in the forearm of the stock. I might try to steam it out. I am not sure if steaming will work on an oil finish?? The wife says it's the distressed look. People pay extra for that now days! LOL.

I removed the stock to look at the spring. Minimal grease on spring which is good I think. I added some moly to the cocking rail. It was a bit rough while cocking but the moly smoothed it out pretty well. I can see some burrs that need my attention.

The trigger is not working correctly. I tried to adjust it lighter by one turn, but the first stage then became loose like a tension spring is not working to return the blade. It just flops without tension. I put the adjustment screw back to where it was but while shooting, the trigger blade occasionally will become loose again. I have to move the blade back and forth and then the spring tension on the first stage starts working... Not sure what to do about that. Th second stage is working to fire the gun but seems heavy. Any thoughts on this?

The barrel release latch is really gritty to operate. I see the small spring that is inside the spring hole, that the latch's pin engages, is cocked sideways a bit and that seems to be causing the gritty feel. I pushed a little moly into the hole to lube the spring and it does seem to help smooth out the operation of the lever. The lever has a poor machine marks on it as well. So it may need to remove the lever and do some honing to smooth out the feel.

The rear end cap needs to be adjusted slightly. The dovetail rail is not lined up well. It is pretty noticeable and will drive me crazy until I fix it.

The gun is shooting very well so far. I only have some old Beeman Silver Sting's but pretty good groups so far with open sights.

Some spring twang but not bad and after 40 shots or so it seems to be diminishing. Compared to my HW50 the gun is pretty smooth and enjoyable to shoot. The 50 is a problem child!

Here are some pictures

Cheers
Zut

HW35.jpg

Dent.jpg

I’d want to return it for another one without that damage but that stock is so pretty that I’d probably just keep it And overlook that one little spot.
I would normally return it too, the box damage is the work of customs. However, I've refinished the stocks on all my HW35E's and YES, IMO - the stock is too nice to return.

Reactions: Zut
I am a total rookie with these springers. So please let me know your opinions on my initial review.

I received a .177 caliber HW35E from Krale today. Amazing to receive a package from them in only 4 days, wow. But the packaging was really poor. The Weihrauch factory box was in an outer box with minimal bubble wrap protecting the inner box. The outer box had several good dents in it. I am surprised the gun got here in one piece.

Considering the damage to the box the gun only has a small but ugly dent in the forearm of the stock. I might try to steam it out. I am not sure if steaming will work on an oil finish?? The wife says it's the distressed look. People pay extra for that now days! LOL.

I removed the stock to look at the spring. Minimal grease on spring which is good I think. I added some moly to the cocking rail. It was a bit rough while cocking but the moly smoothed it out pretty well. I can see some burrs that need my attention.

The trigger is not working correctly. I tried to adjust it lighter by one turn, but the first stage then became loose like a tension spring is not working to return the blade. It just flops without tension. I put the adjustment screw back to where it was but while shooting, the trigger blade occasionally will become loose again. I have to move the blade back and forth and then the spring tension on the first stage starts working... Not sure what to do about that. Th second stage is working to fire the gun but seems heavy. Any thoughts on this?

The barrel release latch is really gritty to operate. I see the small spring that is inside the spring hole, that the latch's pin engages, is cocked sideways a bit and that seems to be causing the gritty feel. I pushed a little moly into the hole to lube the spring and it does seem to help smooth out the operation of the lever. The lever has a poor machine marks on it as well. So it may need to remove the lever and do some honing to smooth out the feel.

The rear end cap needs to be adjusted slightly. The dovetail rail is not lined up well. It is pretty noticeable and will drive me crazy until I fix it.

The gun is shooting very well so far. I only have some old Beeman Silver Sting's but pretty good groups so far with open sights.

Some spring twang but not bad and after 40 shots or so it seems to be diminishing. Compared to my HW50 the gun is pretty smooth and enjoyable to shoot. The 50 is a problem child!

Here are some pictures

Cheers
Zut

View attachment 278439

View attachment 278440
You got some fabulous figure in that Walnut. That little ding will lift right out with steam. If you need some advice with it just message me. Owned a furniture business for 42 years and made repairs daily. The gun sounds like it’s just tight. That’s a good thing. Just shoot it. It will all mesh together. The trigger needs adjustment but again just shoot the gun. Make the fine adjustments after a tin of pellets.

The first one I got from Krale, had a piece of packing taped to the factory box which was then put into the shipping box to flop around. The outer box was damaged so much the UPS driver suggested we open it to determine if any damage to contents. It was unbelievable in that there was no damage. I commented to Krale about this and said that they were lucky that there was no return involved. Subsquent orders were packaged much better, Large bubble packing, and crushed paper around the factory box. The last two the outer boxes were pristine.
I had no problem adjusting my trigger, It lets off at one pound +/- a couple of ounces. I just looked at it uncocked, and it has no flop like you are describing,. I have been shooting some different guns over the last few days so cannot remember feel when cocked, but it is a longer first stage pull when it hits the second stage wall, I do know that stage is very light but no idea right now if it returns if released before actually firing, will check that tomorrow.
That stock looks like the one I got a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
You got some fabulous figure in that Walnut. That little ding will lift right out with steam. If you need some advice with it just message me. Owned a furniture business for 42 years and made repairs daily. The gun sounds like it’s just tight. That’s a good thing. Just shoot it. It will all mesh together. The trigger needs adjustment but again just shoot the gun. Make the fine adjustments after a tin of pellets.
Thanks Bear,
I will see how it goes today with a little steam. I have a nice big soldering iron and was going to put a wet cotton cloth over the dent and heat it up with the iron. How would you attempt to steam it?

The good thing is it is just a dent, not a scratch or gouge.

Thanks Bear,
I will see how it goes today with a little steam. I have a nice big soldering iron and was going to put a wet cotton cloth over the dent and heat it up with the iron. How would you attempt to steam it?

The good thing is it is just a dent, not a scratch or gouge.
Keep a 3 or 4 inch piece of t- shirt rag quite wet and do not let it get dry. Fold it multiple 6-8 times and apply the soldering iron in a spot for a few moments. As you hear the steam drying out of the rag, stop. Just be patient. It takes time. You can’t fix a burn. Work it over and over until it is lifted. The wood fibers take time to absorb the moisture. It will entirely lift over time. Patience is key. Lift a spot a little and work another. Keep it even. Then start at the beginning again. Keep working the area evenly. Bring it up together as a whole. Little by little.

Reactions: Sc0- and crowski
You always want the trigger to return to the starting position when you release it. The first stage of the trigger does most of the work in disengaging the sear - the second stage obviously does only the last tiny bit. It's dangerous to have the trigger so light that it "sticks" at the second stage - literally a hair's breadth from the gun going off.

So keep the pull adjusted heavy enough to accomplish that. As the gun wears in and settles down you can probably gradually lighten it, but don't be in a rush.

Keep a 3 or 4 inch piece of t- shirt rag quite wet and do not let it get dry. Fold it multiple 6-8 times and apply the soldering iron in a spot for a few moments. As you hear the steam drying out of the rag, stop. Just be patient. It takes time. You can’t fix a burn. Work it over and over until it is lifted. The wood fibers take time to absorb the moisture. It will entirely lift over time. Patience is key. Lift a spot a little and work another. Keep it even. Then start at the beginning again. Keep working the area evenly. Bring it up together as a whole. Little by little.
Good advice sir, thank you!

You always want the trigger to return to the starting position when you release it. The first stage of the trigger does most of the work in disengaging the sear - the second stage obviously does only the last tiny bit. It's dangerous to have the trigger so light that it "sticks" at the second stage - literally a hair's breadth from the gun going off.

So keep the pull adjusted heavy enough to accomplish that. As the gun wears in and settles down you can probably gradually lighten it, but don't be in a rush.
I purchased a HW50 a few months ago and just adjusted the trigger a turn or two and that worked perfectly to bring the pull down to 1.5lbs from 2.1lbs.

When I adjusted this one the same way, the first stage became loose. No tension at all to return the starting position.. I put the adjustment screw back to factory and now the blade tension is intermittent. I can wiggle the blade and the tension returns to normal.

I will try to lubricate the trigger a bit and see what happens. I am sure it is nothing serious.

Zut

That's a gorgeous stock. If it were me, I'd contact Krale and ask for some compensation for the damage. Then I'd do as BoG suggested and keep that beautiful piece of walnut! The trigger issue would bother me more than anything else. Did you test the pull before you started to adjust? Possible yours came with the screw already back out some. Makes me wonder if it was a demo or something. Beautiful gun though, I'd keep it and get it straight.

Nice stock. Even with the dent. Get some compensation and then try to steam it. You should be able to get most of it out. Just go easy on the heat. Probably less likely to happen on a oiled walnut stock but I've discolored the finish on my original Hw95 beech stock. Nice looking stock with or without the dent regardless.
Congrats on the new gun

Here is the dent after steaming. Looks pretty darn good I think. Just a hint of a line still showing. Kudo's to Bear of Grayling for the great advice on steaming.

Shooting today:
10 shot Ohler 35 chrony test on some old Beeman Silver Sting's I have.
8.64 grains at 807fps average that is 12.5fpe Wow this thing is shooting fast. My chrony has been check with a friends and they read the same so it is a good number.

Open sights at 20 yards, the accuracy was dependent on my poor shooting sklls LOL. I am learning all about hold sensitivity. This gun is harder for me to shoot then the HW50.

On the trigger, I took it off and cleaned it with some WD40 and blew it off with compressed air. Put it back in and it seems to be working fine. I will check the pull weight when a buddy comes by with his gauge.

The 35 is a tank. I probably shot it 200 times today and another 75 thru the HW50. I also installed a Hawke 2-7 scope on the HW50 and sighted it in. Playing with pellet guns is hard work!

O:Beer:30 now!

Cheers
Zut

Steamed Dent.jpg

35 and 50.jpg

Last edited: