• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New Huntsman Revere 177. Pretty, but it's in the shop!

I've got a 177 jinx! After my two negative Taipan Veteran 177 experiences, I decided to go with a Daystate Huntsman Revere in 177. I ordered it, it came in, shot well, actually a little hot for my liking, but it worked. So I sat it aside for a while and when I went to shoot again - pressure was down! Not much, but enough to be worrisome on a new rifle. I was disappointed but it's under warranty for 5 years so I sent it back to AoA. Still waiting on the return.

While the empty stock was starring at me from across my shop, I decided to "pretty" it up a little. It was nice looking, but I thought I could improve it. After a couple of coats of verrrry thin Boiled Linseed Oil, it now looks even better than I imagined it would!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Did you sand any of the original finish off to get the oil down to the wood or just apply over the stock finish? I too have a .177 revere and man are they smooth. Mine is unregged and sends 10.3s at 860-870 from 200bar down to 175bar for about 60 shots. Finally got to shoot it at distance on monday and what a tack driver. 50 yards was putting those little pellets in a 1/4" group with a 5x Imersive Optic prism. Mine developed a small leak and it turned out to be on the balve seat as it is just a peice of plastic the metal valve pin seats against. Cleaned up the edges and all was right with the world again.

Did you sand any of the original finish off to get the oil down to the wood or just apply over the stock finish? I too have a .177 revere and man are they smooth. Mine is unregged and sends 10.3s at 860-870 from 200bar down to 175bar for about 60 shots. Finally got to shoot it at distance on monday and what a tack driver. 50 yards was putting those little pellets in a 1/4" group with a 5x Imersive Optic prism. Mine developed a small leak and it turned out to be on the balve seat as it is just a peice of plastic the metal valve pin seats against. Cleaned up the edges and all was right with the world again.
I didn't do anything to the original stock. I just took a few drops of Boiled Linseed Oil and rubbed it into the stock with my fingers. I did not get any oil in the etching. That would have made it too dark for my taste. After a few minutes, I took a soft cotton cloth and gently wiped the excess oil off. I let it dry for a couple of days then repeated the process. It darkened the wood and brought out the grain contrast along with adding some protection to the stock. It's about the simplest stock mod you can make and virtually foolproof.

Do you think Daystate will make any changes to this rilfe this year link bigger air tank?
No inside information here, just speculation- I wouldn't expect much if any change to the air capacity. Any significant increase would push it toward competition with their Wolverine line.

Tube vs bottle & standard vs thumbhole stock are about all that separate the Huntsman & standard Wolverine. Of course the Wolverine is available in high power versions as well, so maybe that could become an option in the Huntsman line?

Got it back from AoA with o-rings replaced and leak fixed. Replaced the stock, mounted the scope and sighted it in. Shootin' good! Can't complain. It has its place in the air rifle world but for those with the desire to "monkey" with their rifle, this is not the one. It's the perfect rifle for the beginner that wants to load and shoot.

Reactions: orangeokie
What kind of accuracy are you getting?
I didn't shoot much the day I sighted it in but I would say most shots of a 13 round magazine are within 1 MOA at 40 yards with a flyer or two. I just open the tin and start shooting. No sorting. It's not one hole but it's pretty good for a .177 and factory tuning. It's about 909 fps with JSB 10.34s.

Reactions: tcarlson777