• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New "honey do on the list "

Several years ago (when I still lived in NC) I returned from a business trip and my wife told me that the grackles were swarming the feeder and making it impossible for any of the "desirables" to dine on the seed. This resulted in a purchase of a cheap crosman .177 rifle/scope combo, and 14 grackles bit the dust on day one. The final season count was over 130. The crosman was the gateway drug to springers, and even more efficient pesting. So the short answer is, listen to your wives!

Several years ago (when I still lived in NC) I returned from a business trip and my wife told me that the grackles were swarming the feeder and making it impossible for any of the "desirables" to dine on the seed. This resulted in a purchase of a cheap crosman .177 rifle/scope combo, and 14 grackles bit the dust on day one. The final season count was over 130. The crosman was the gateway drug to springers, and even more efficient pesting. So the short answer is, listen to your wives!
My story went sorta the opposite way.
I was secretly sniping tree rats eating our apples with a cheap Crosman. I should have trash bagged the bodies instead of burying them. The raccoons started digging them up and she saw and smell the evidence. (Oh yeah almost forgot the two crows in the body count, they weren't eating apples...they just flew into the crosshair). That was 20+ years ago. She made me promise ...no more shooting "helpless" animals. (just a side-bar, she defines "helpless" animals as the ones that couldn't shoot back. Yeah I know...never argue with female logic..)

So fast forward to today. I only shoot paper or steel targets and I compete in Field Target. I'm deep in the rabbit hole with expensive scopes, custom stocks, and expensive tunes on my TX...and travel to competitions...$$$ OMG (evil laugh from all the tree rats and the crows, payback's a bitch. whispers..there goes your retirement money)... somedays, when I run the numbers, I wished I've never heard of, pellet guns, springers or Field Target. But overall the hobby has given back more than all the money spent so far. (at least that's what I tell myself as I browse for a deal on a March or Nightforce scope).

Here's the ironic thing...she's a carnivore and I used to be a vegetarian. Now I'm more of a omnivore and she's eating more vegetables.

My new motto. If you can't shoot em. ..at least have a taste and a nibble (thank God they don't shoot back)

HONEY !!! what do you want for dinner? Fried chicken or BBQ ribs?

Last edited: