• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New here. Question about pellet rifle scopes

Hey fellas,

First time posting here. I just bought a gamo wildcat whisper. It came with a cheap fixed power scope which I got zeroed (for now) at 20 yards. Plan on doing some rodent removal. From what I’ve read these scopes don’t last or hold zero for long. The gamo rifle has that hole in the top dovetail area that holds the scope in place.

I bought some H&N Hornet pellets in .22 and zeroed to those.

The clarity on this scope is poor (even after adjusting the eyepiece). Are there any reasonably priced aftermarket scopes that work well on these break action pellet rifles? Thanks

Hey fellas,

First time posting here. I just bought a gamo wildcat whisper. It came with a cheap fixed power scope which I got zeroed (for now) at 20 yards. Plan on doing some rodent removal. From what I’ve read these scopes don’t last or hold zero for long. The gamo rifle has that hole in the top dovetail area that holds the scope in place.

I bought some H&N Hornet pellets in .22 and zeroed to those.

The clarity on this scope is poor (even after adjusting the eyepiece). Are there any reasonably priced aftermarket scopes that work well on these break action pellet rifles? Thanks

the break action has nothing do with things, it's the moving piston. Reasonable price means very different things to different people. Also, those pellets might not be the most accurate, you will need to test a variety of weights shapes and diameters.

Yes, there are reasonably priced airgun scopes that will hold up on springers. UTG, Leapers, and Hawke scopes come to mind.

Some of the older Bushnell 1" tubed scopes are springer rated. Make sure you get something with adjustable paralax, on the objective or side focus. An essential feature for airgun scopes shooting at traditional airgun ranges.

Other members are no doubt sure to chime in with other more contemporary suggestions. Hope this helps -

Now looking at the Hawke vantage 3x9x40 AO scope. Are they decent?
I thought Hawke Advantage scopes were not rated on magnum springers (12 ft-lbs and above). However, that may have changed. I did not see that statement on the Pyramid website that I just looked at. That scope works well on my HW 35 and FWB 124 but I believe those guns are lower powered and much smoother shooting than the Gamo Wildcat Whisper.

I also have the UTG 3x12x32 Bugbuser and I love it although it is now waiting for a new airgun. UTG scopes are also on my mangum powered Xisco B28 and RWS 350 and have had no problems for several years. Some have liked Hammers scopes but I see the Amazon reviews are somewhat mixed. Maybe buy used from AGN Classified or in the Airgun Classifieds and get a good UTG or Hawke scope but watch out for scammers. Anyway, I would put in the extra money and make my scope budget limit $150 which gives you more choices of good scope.

Hangman,
My Benjamin Trail NP XL .22 is a magnum break barrel, came with a CenterPoint 3-9x40 AO scope. (CenterPoint is a Crosman brand.) Liked scope so much found another barely used on eBay for $50 to replace crappy CenterPoint 4x32 on my Crosman F3 Nitro. Nice optics and reticle, still going strong despite heavy pounding by the magnum. WM

Reactions: cavedweller
Hammers 3-9x40. Have one that's held up very well on at least 5 17-20fpe springers, a couple of those during break in and still no issues with it. $79.90 on Amazon:
Also a newer player on the market called Wulf Optics being sold by Optics Planet. Haven't tried one yet, but their Fireball 3-9x40 is springer rated and only $84.99 so maybe one to consider. Very well regarded by shooters in the UK who are comparing them very favorably against the Hawke.

Reactions: Hangman
Under $100
My Walmart now sells the athlon neos for 119$ . It's no thrills but carries there no questions asked lifetime warranty. I use there Talos on gamos and been just fine .

Says out of stock but I know Thursday they were sitting on the shelve .. then rolled back to $107 probly sold them quick

Last edited:
Under $100
In my humble opinion, the quality and performance at your price point will be disappointing.
I would suggest that you do some research on scopes and decide on the size, magnification, ffp or sfp, tube size, Type of reticle, if you want illumination or not, ETC. that will work for your shooting needs, then look for a used one or save up and buy a new one. In the budget scope category, the leapers utg bug buster has the warranty/features that are useable to a shooter. If you need scope rings there is another decision that you will have to make as to the height of them and cost to consider.

Reactions: HeyU