new HEAVY WADCUTTER ⬛ HEAVY HITTER

Yeah, over the years I've virtually met several hunters how swear at wadcutters.

And several who swear by wadcutters.

For both of these cussing airgunners I have good news. 😊

There is a new wadcutter in town!!
A heavy hitter.
Real HEAVY.

⬛ In .22cal it weighs in at 17.00 grain (1.10 grams).

▪ It is made in Argentina.
▪ The brand name is APOLO (or Air Boss for the premium line).

▪ It is sold by Hatsan USA.
▪ It comes in a premium version (Air Boss Match Competition) and in an economic version (Apolo Champion).

I will definitely try these out!! 😄

Matthias

Apolo. Air Boss. Match Competition. [Wadcutter]. 17.00gr. 01.png

Apolo. Champion. [Wadcutter]. 17.00gr. 02.jpg

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1

Yeah, over the years I've virtually met several hunters how swear at wadcutters.

And several who swear by wadcutters.

For both of these cussing airgunners I have good news. 😊

There is a new wadcutter in town!!
A heavy hitter.
Real HEAVY.

⬛ In .22cal it weighs in at 17.00 grain (1.10 grams).

▪ It is made in Argentina.
▪ The brand name is APOLO (or Air Boss for the premium line).

▪ It is sold by Hatsan USA.
▪ It comes in a premium version (Air Boss Match Competition) and in an economic version (Apolo Champion).

I will definitely try these out!! 😄

Matthias

View attachment 281354

View attachment 281355
How nice that Apolo again uses our product images without our consent...

From the outside looking in, this complaint seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

JSB’s 18.13gr was the gold standard for .22 cal rifles for a long time:
View attachment 281725

Then along came H&N’s:
View attachment 281726
Legally, these are (at least in the EU, but most likely also in the US) two different things:
- we have the image rights to our product images. Using the images without our consent would be a breach of the law.
- Even if we copied the design of the JSB Exact Heavy to 100%, it would be legally OK, because the design is not protected.

Best regards

Jörg

Copyright law is strange in the U.S. but using your image is definitely infringement.

Here is the strange one. If I take a picture of your pellet I may not even own the copyright to that photograph if the courts rule it is a derivative work
US copyright law is broken. When the Copyright Act was first passed a Copyright was good for only 14 years. Since then Disney has worked really hard to extend Copyright to the life of the author plus 70 years. Disney now has till 2023 to lobby the government to extend it further as usual… Mickey is never going into the public domain.

PS - Not saying that what Apolo is doing is ok - just supporting the argument of how broken our Copyright system is.

-Marty

From the outside looking in, this complaint seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

JSB’s 18.13gr was the gold standard for .22 cal rifles for a long time:
View attachment 281725

Then along came H&N’s:
View attachment 281726

That's how the projectile market works. When I weight and design is known to shoot well in a certain caliber almost all the manufactures will offer it.

For example, let's look at 9X19 Luger. Almost every bullet manufacturer offers 115gr FMJ and 124gr FMJ because it is a proven performer...hell I'd be surprised if H&N didn't produce those two as well. You won't see oddball stuff too often like 103gr FMJ or 136gr FMJ. Manufacturers make what the market wants. What if Crossman got off their asses and invested resources in making a quality 18gr JSB style pellet? Would that be a good or bad thing?

I shoot H&H in .22, the Hunters are the most consistent pellet in my gun.
If I was to criticize H&N, it would be that they made too many niche goofball pellets and pellets with similar overlapping roles.
Do shooters really need Hunters, Crow Magnum and Hunter Extreme...no not really. They all serve a very similar role.
Why spend money on research, tooling, labor etc. on all three. Pick the best overall performer of the group and use all the resources to produce that one
design to its fullest potential.

Nothing personal against H&N....just one shooter's opinion.

That's how the projectile market works. When I weight and design is known to shoot well in a certain caliber almost all the manufactures will offer it.

For example, let's look at 9X19 Luger. Almost every bullet manufacturer offers 115gr FMJ and 124gr FMJ because it is a proven performer...hell I'd be surprised if H&N didn't produce those two as well. You won't see oddball stuff too often like 103gr FMJ or 136gr FMJ. Manufacturers make what the market wants. What if Crossman got off their asses and invested resources in making a quality 18gr JSB style pellet? Would that be a good or bad thing?

I shoot H&H in .22, the Hunters are the most consistent pellet in my gun.
If I was to criticize H&N, it would be that they made too many niche goofball pellets and pellets with similar overlapping roles.
Do shooters really need Hunters, Crow Magnum and Hunter Extreme...no not really. They all serve a very similar role.
Why spend money on research, tooling, labor etc. on all three. Pick the best overall performer of the group and use all the resources to produce that one
design to its fullest potential.

Nothing personal against H&N....just one shooter's opinion.
To prove your assumption: Of course we also offer bullets in 115 and 125 grain for 9mm Luger and they are the best sellers. By the way, our bullets aren't FMJs in tombac jackets, they're copper-plated lead bullets (which technically makes them FMJs, right? I'm not sure...:unsure:)

As for the different but similar types of pellets: We manufacture them because there is a demand for each of them. One shooter prefers this model, the other that. If there is no demand, the product is discontinued. Or when producing it is getting a huge headache...

Thank you H&N for making the variety of pellets. I shoot the Crow Magnums quite a bit, I love the "terrible balistics" of this ammo. I love the relative short range, massive energy dump upon impact. Everybody talks of shooting "long range", I shoot less than 30 yards usually and let's say its aimed at a starling in a tree. That starling with a body shot falls hard. Sometimes upon examination it looks like the bird has been disembowled from a single projectile. And if I miss, it happens. the pellet dies in a trajectory arc that is almost funny to conceive. I believe a 12 foot drop in one hundred yards I don't have my card handy. I also like the 20 grain FT in .25 cal. that one I do push pretty hard shooting steel targets. Make my rimfire guys go "what the heck was that?" when I crack the sound barrier by a smidge. I just added to the collection an Umarex Origin in .25, so I am wanting to try H&N slugs. I believe it was the 32 grain that was getting good results on U-toob, so I will try the .249 and .250 sizes to make sure. Variety is the "spice" or "projectile" of life .

Reactions: HN Sport
H&N!!! Glad to see you on here! I’m going to take opportunity of you being on this thread and ask when is H&N going to come out with a 30 caliber barracuda hunter extreme?! Please, please, please! H& N needs more game in the 30 caliber, and a BHE in the 45-50g area weights would be awesome!

I would gladly test them for you
Oh, I've been hanging around here for a while. There's no better place to find out what's on the (mainly US) shooters' minds. ;)

Unfortunately I don't have good news: we cannot produce pellets in .30 or larger with our machines. We tried with the Baracuda .30 and it ended up being a production nightmare. In the medium term we need a new machine for that purpose.

Slugs in .30 are possible though and in development.

Best regards

Jörg