• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin New Guy Questions.

Hey everybody, I'm completely new to this activity so please bear with my novice questions. First I want to say that my first air rifle was a Gamo Raptor Whisper in .22. I thought it would be relatively quiet but I was wrong. It shoots well at the distance I need it to (10-15 yards) but the noise! Ugh.
I just received My Benjamin Marauder in .22 and a Hawke 2-7 scope. Waiting on rings. My question is, and I'm probably not going to get the terms correct so be prepared for that, if I was to install a regulator in this rifle, what pressure will the existing gauge on the rifle read? Will it still read the rifles chamber pressure? If not how would I know how far to go when filling it up? I'm hand pumping because at this point I won't be using it every day, but I'm not ruling out an electric pump. If your reply is why bother with putting a regulator in if you don't plan on using it that much, I would say that I need all the help I can get with shot to shot consistency, and accuracy. Thanks for anything you have for me.

Hey everybody, I'm completely new to this activity so please bear with my novice questions. First I want to say that my first air rifle was a Gamo Raptor Whisper in .22. I thought it would be relatively quiet but I was wrong. It shoots well at the distance I need it to (10-15 yards) but the noise! Ugh.
I just received My Benjamin Marauder in .22 and a Hawke 2-7 scope. Waiting on rings. My question is, and I'm probably not going to get the terms correct so be prepared for that, if I was to install a regulator in this rifle, what pressure will the existing gauge on the rifle read? Will it still read the rifles chamber pressure? If not how would I know how far to go when filling it up? I'm hand pumping because at this point I won't be using it every day, but I'm not ruling out an electric pump. If your reply is why bother with putting a regulator in if you don't plan on using it that much, I would say that I need all the help I can get with shot to shot consistency, and accuracy. Thanks for anything you have for me.
With a non regulated gun you just need to learn your shot curve . There is a range in your shot string in the middle of your air pressure that gives you the best performance. Once you find that range top up to that pressure and stop shooting when you hit the bottom of your curve. No point in hand pumping way over your curve .

You don't need to install a regulator in your Marauder. Whether or not you choose to install a regulator you need a chronograph to be able to tell what your shot curve/power curve is. Here's a link to a 7 part series that Tom Gaylord did on a Marauder in 2013. The link take you to part 7 but at the top of the article you can click on links 1-6 and read them in order which I would suggest:

You can have it either way, with or without gauge depending on which unit you purchase. Personally never needed to either gauge (we didn't used to have them) But have always had an accurate fill gauge and the tiny ones generally are not. Your needs may be entirely different.
And agree a chrony is a must! No matter.
If you can get with someone who has an scba with a known good gauge check against that and mark your pumps unit at you correct fill number.

John

These guys are correct, you really dont need a regulator on a Marauder, or MROD as they are called. My 1st pcp is a MROD. After watching a few youtube videos and buying a Chrono, I tuned it to where Im getting 3 magazines of 100% accurate, powerful shots for hunting before I top it off with air again. Racoons HATE my MROD. 22 of them actually. I counted. Too many squirrels to count, and a couple of bob cats, I dont shoot bob cats anymore as I feel sorry for them, they are dumb as dirt, but excellent hunters. a .25 cal MROD can get a LOT of things done. Ill never sell mine, but I have bought stronger air rifles for stronger animals. I even took a nuisance 9ft gator with my MROD. It works well.

As others have said, don't go messing around regulating it - at least not for a while. Live with it "unmolested" for a while under warranty - Crosman has a great warranty and customer service, so don't void that out at least for a while.

Do get a chronograph and learn your gun. Read and learn stuff, and in a while, if you still want to regulate it - knowing much more about it and the tradeoffs than you do now - then go ahead. I have three, all are regulated, but I did not do so for quite a while after I got the first one - I tuned it a million different ways first.

If you do regulate it, you'll need to make lots of other changes to the gun to get it to shoot as well as it does or can without the regulator - the valve will need modified or swapped out, you'll probably need a lighter hammer and hammer spring, and you'll need to drill out the port to barrel too. So it is not something that is just a drop in modification . . . .