• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New guy question

I am new to air guns so if you don’t count the old crossman guns I used 35 years ago as a kid. I have a sparrow problem on our farm that I would like to get a new gun to help with.

After reading reviews, I bought a Gamo Whisper Magnum 10x rifle. Unfortunately the rifle is terrible and has major problems with feeding ammo and the magazine advances incorrectly every time it is fired.

I am trying to find an accurate gun that is reliable and will last a long time. I don’t need top of the line or the latest and greatest. Looking for suggestions from those of you here with experience and knowledge that far exceeds mine. Thanks in advance.

English house sparrows?

I've been stackin' bodies for the second year with the Umarex Notos. 750fps so it's not going to go thru tin, it loves CPHP'S so the ammo is cheap. It's simple to pump up with a hand pump if you choose that route.

It's a PCP so it's needs air from the outside. Handpumps or electric pumps are necessary, simple 12V pumps on Amazon run about $150, I'd get the warranty!!!!

I provide air bottle conversions to Notos owners for long hunting bouts etc.

The last issue is the magazines: The OEM mags suck. Don't even bother with them. Get CARM or Maple mags instead.

Good luck and good hunting!

Crosman 362 or Seneca Dragonfly. Both around $200 and they shoot the inexpensive Crosman pellets. Probably the best bang for the buck. On sale today at Pyramid Air.

Crosman 362 or Seneca Dragonfly. Both around $200 and they shoot the inexpensive Crosman pellets. Probably the best bang for the buck. On sale today at Pyramid Air.

Of the 2 I have seen, both suffered breakage after a couple/few tins. Cook gun but not durable.

Reactions: Rizz01
English house sparrows?

I've been stackin' bodies for the second year with the Umarex Notos. 750fps so it's not going to go thru tin, it loves CPHP'S so the ammo is cheap. It's simple to pump up with a hand pump if you choose that route.

It's a PCP so it's needs air from the outside. Handpumps or electric pumps are necessary, simple 12V pumps on Amazon run about $150, I'd get the warranty!!!!

I provide air bottle conversions to Notos owners for long hunting bouts etc.

The last issue is the magazines: The OEM mags suck. Don't even bother with them. Get CARM or Maple mags instead.

Good luck and good hunting!
This looks like a sweet gun. By the time I get the gun, pump, and optics, I think I’m going to be outside of my budget. Probably looking for a piston gun to keep things simple if possible. I will also have to use a scope as those dang house sparrows are tiny little dudes! Thank you for the reply.

Reactions: Rizz01
How about a classic German spring piston rifle for shooting sparrows - something like this:

This looks like a sweet gun. By the time I get the gun, pump, and optics, I think I’m going to be outside of my budget. Probably looking for a piston gun to keep things simple if possible. I will also have to use a scope as those dang house sparrows are tiny little dudes! Thank you for the reply.

Bait makes sparrows come in close. Throw some bird seed down and sit in the shade 20 yards away.

@dbleyepatches It is an older thread but still has good info for folks with this type of question.

Reactions: dbleyepatches
Crosman 3622 kit for 219
And a steel breech to add a scope