New guy needs some brief help

Greeting,

New to the forum, obviously. I try not to post stuff like this on forums, but had no idea how many variables there were in the airgun world. I am a bit of a prepper nerd and I hunt a lot. I also really enjoy general shooting sports, but the cost of ammo (amongst other things) have lead me down the airgun path. I am looking for a rifle and pistol. Really looking at the 1377 and Hatsun 95 in .22. Here is where/why...

1. looking for a pair that is back yard friendly. 

2. Would like the pistol in .177 and the rifle in .22.

3. The pistol will be for dispatching small game, shooting rats, and target practice.

4. The rifle will be used for hunting small game and the above.

5. I like the idea of having one in .177 due to the readily availability of pellets

6. Not opposed to something in a greater caliber than .22, but buying/finding the pellets or molding my own seems like a bit more than I want to get into.

Am I on track? I really want something of quality that can grow with me a bit. The 1377 seems a bit on the cheap end, but there seems to be some really cool mods and aftermarket support. I am super attracted to the Hatsan for reports of high quality, and accuracy. I really want something that is going to last a long time, and not be dependent on a special hand pump, refilling tanks, or C02. 

The 1377 isn’t a bad choice at all, although there are better choices depending on how much you wanna spend. My personal Opinion on the Hatsan 95, is I wouldn’t recommend one. I’ve read a lot of good reviews before I bought mine but after getting it at first look it looks like a very nice gun. But after looking it over real good there were razor sharp edges that actually sliced my finger wide-open And the barrel wouldn’t lock up tight. I took the chisel point detent Out where it locks up and the hole was way bigger where the detent goes in. So it fit in there too sloppy and Was the reason why it wouldn’t lock up tight.If you want a nice break barrel, I would spend a little extra money and buy a RWS Or a Weirauch Air rifle. The German made quality is way better. You can either buy a refurbished one or they go on sale at times.That’s what I did, and I couldn’t be any happier. I went with the Weirauch. And although the 1377 Isn’t a bad choice, I don’t know exactly what to recommend you that would be better for around the same money.But if you do decide to go with the 1377,I would recommend buying one through the Crosman Custom shop where they will give you different choices of barrel Lengths and sites and all kinds of different options. And it will save you money in the long run.

Spring for a Diana/RWS 34 or a Weihrauch HW95. They will both last forever. 

Or for something lighter weight and more compact, but louder and hard to scope, check into a solid vintage Sheridan Streak or Benjamin 342. They are very reliable, brass actions that won't rust, and hold their value if it doesn't work out. 

And truthfully, if I were a "prepper", the last thing I would want if I had to depend on it was a gun of poor quality. 

If they are astronomically out of budget, then that's just that. I get it. 

A 1377 is underpowered, cheaply made, and has a horrific trigger in my opinion. None of the pistols other than PCPs have enough power/accuracy to be serious hunting tools. And I hunt with lower power guns than most people here do. 

Get yourself a nice rifle and put the money you'd spend on the pistol towards it instead. And don't overlook buying used. 

Whatever you choose, have fun with it! 

I have a 90s Benjamin in .20 on the other side of the country. I asked my dad to take a look and see what kind of condition it is in. If I remember correctly it was a 392, but in .20? I know for sure it is a .20, because I stuck it in the closet when I could not find pellets (pre internet). Can these be rebuilt?

I really wish it was in .22

I wouldnt recommend a Hatsan Springer due to poor machining at their factory you would better off going with Chinese Flying Dragons better QC. 

I have a Stoeger E4000 gas ram breakbarel coming in 22 caliber. We shall see. They are cheap as $134.99 brand new before trying any discount code and or free shipping code from MidwayUSA and has big fat silencer that hopefully works very well like how theTheobens do being a gas ram powerplant.

I already own lotsa German springers and Air Arms underlevers and Theoben Gas Ram guns they can be kinda boring to shoot due to their inherent accuracy.

RWSMIKE selling his new RWS 54 in 22 caliber it's worth buying. Also a seller on Airgun Warriors classifieds too.

It's the most accurate currently produced German spring gun you can buy to shoot 100 plus yards even close to 200 yards once you get trajectory mastered nothing in the Springer and gas ram airgun department can beat it's consistent accuracy past 50 yards.

I have a 90s Benjamin in .20 on the other side of the country. I asked my dad to take a look and see what kind of condition it is in. If I remember correctly it was a 392, but in .20? I know for sure it is a .20, because I stuck it in the closet when I could not find pellets (pre internet). Can these be rebuilt?

I really wish it was in .22

Do the Alphabet org trans fluid stop leak trick open the handle extend it all the way work it in.

Buy the 20 caliber JSB 13.74gr Exacts. Good news since its an odd ball caliber not common these days the JSBs 20s are likely to not have bad batches in this caliber due to overproduction like the 22 and 177 has.

Is Gamo worth looking into? I saw they have a lot of factory refurbished. 

The Sig ASP 20 gets a lot of intention, but really starting to bump into that higher price point. 

What I am hearing is that Diana/RWS, Weihrauch HW95, and walther are GTG.

I do get 40% of Crosman, which puts a 392 at just over $100 and a Trail XL at $185. The discovery looks nice, but I really do not feel a PCP is for me, but I could be wrong. 

First step is going to re-build that .20 Benjamin, I think I can shoot it and learn from the re-build/TLC process. 

Is Gamo worth looking into? I saw they have a lot of factory refurbished. 

The Sig ASP 20 gets a lot of intention, but really starting to bump into that higher price point. 

What I am hearing is that Diana/RWS, Weihrauch HW95, and walther are GTG.

I do get 40% of Crosman, which puts a 392 at just over $100 and a Trail XL at $185. The discovery looks nice, but I really do not feel a PCP is for me, but I could be wrong. 

First step is going to re-build that .20 Benjamin, I think I can shoot it and learn from the re-build/TLC process.

My diana, hw97, hw80, and asp20 are all fantastic.

The two I don't "feel bad" about banging up a little while hunting are my diana 48 and sig asp20. 

The d48 I got was already gently used and is an absolute monster in terms of punch and accuracy (still less accurate than my asp20, and 2fpe less as well), and the asp20 has a much more utilitarian finish (the proverbial fit is fantastic-machining is precise). These two (along with my xisico D34 clone--for my vacation hunting) are my hunters for various reasons...including the above mentioned (I don't freak about the unavoidable marring and jarring during hunting and the power is great for most small game I go for).

My hw97 is unparalleled in its accuracy (my version almost shoots itself without any learning curve at all) but it feels way to fine for me to hunt with. It's all about what you want when you start looking into those price ranges.