New guy needs some advice! (springer calibre & optics)

1577840531_2260981495e0bef93a0e657.95491305_5732.jpeg

Here's one unlucky fella

I was born in Cattaraugus County ( outside Buffalo) in a town called Gowanda. Only spent the first four years of my life in NY.

That green light must not spook the pests. I have everything you mention around here except chipmunks. They tend to live in the higher terrain in more mountainous counties.

Just asked my wife who is from upstate. She's not familiar with that area, but misses living up there. These chipmunks can be far more destructive than you'd think. And the green light seems to fare well. Some rats seem to "notice" it, but they don't run from it. It seems to catch their attention, especially if I have the light focused all the way in (magnification).

I hate rats ! Can't tell you how many times I opened my Char-Broil propane grill to clean it and a rat flew out of that thing and nearly gave me a heart attack! On one occasion I opened the grill and a good sized one was munching on grease under the burner element. I closed the lid and grabbed my Crosman 760 Powermaster, pumped it 10 times, and loaded a BB. I opened the lid again and could only see his back half. I rested the barrel on the grill rack and shot between the rack slats. Probably no more than a 12 " shot. He flew out of their only to die after about a six foot travel. I found the BB inside my grill later that day. That's my airgun hunting story ! LOL !!

I hate rats ! Can't tell you how many times I opened my Char-Broil propane grill to clean it and a rat flew out of that thing and nearly gave me a heart attack! On one occasion I opened the grill and a good sized one was munching on grease under the burner element. I closed the lid and grabbed my Crosman 760 Powermaster, pumped it 10 times, and loaded a BB. I opened the lid again and could only see his back half. I rested the barrel on the grill rack and shot between the rack slats. Probably no more than a 12 " shot. He flew out of their only to die after about a six foot travel. I found the BB inside my grill later that day. That's my airgun hunting story ! LOL !!

Caught in the criminal act. Judge, jury, executioner. Well played!

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I have made my purchase.

I figured since this is my first Springer, I don't want to break the bank but want a good, reliable, and accurate rifle to plink around with. I went with the Sig Sauer ASP20 in .117 calibre. I got the wood stock, but opted to buy the rifle without the SIg Whiskey3 scope. As mentioned, I have not had the best experience with Sig optics. I also bought a couple of tins of .117 calibre pellets that were recommended on some of the YouTube reviews. I went with:

-JSB Diabolo Exact Monster in 13.43 grain

-H&N Baracuda Hunter Hollowpoint in 10.34 grain

-Sig Sauer Match Lead Pellets in 8.18 grain

For the optic I opted for a Leupold scope. I purchased the Leupold VX Freedom EFR 3-9x33mm with the adjustable objective. I am mounting it on a set of "low" Leupold rings. 

I'm pretty stoked to put it all together and get out there!

Thanks again for all of the advice.

p.s. I made the mistake of looking up some "PCP" guns when I was browsing YouTube. I think there may be one of those in my future as well. The sickness is real.. :D

What made you decide on the .177 cal ? Look forward to your review! 

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I have made my purchase.

I figured since this is my first Springer, I don't want to break the bank but want a good, reliable, and accurate rifle to plink around with. I went with the Sig Sauer ASP20 in .117 calibre. I got the wood stock, but opted to buy the rifle without the SIg Whiskey3 scope. As mentioned, I have not had the best experience with Sig optics. I also bought a couple of tins of .117 calibre pellets that were recommended on some of the YouTube reviews. I went with:

-JSB Diabolo Exact Monster in 13.43 grain

-H&N Baracuda Hunter Hollowpoint in 10.34 grain

-Sig Sauer Match Lead Pellets in 8.18 grain

For the optic I opted for a Leupold scope. I purchased the Leupold VX Freedom EFR 3-9x33mm with the adjustable objective. I am mounting it on a set of "low" Leupold rings. 

I'm pretty stoked to put it all together and get out there!

Thanks again for all of the advice.

p.s. I made the mistake of looking up some "PCP" guns when I was browsing YouTube. I think there may be one of those in my future as well. The sickness is real.. :D

What made you decide on the .177 cal ? Look forward to your review!

Curious minds want to know. I would like to know as well, because, as I said earlier in this thread, I'd op for the .22 if I was to do it again. I opted for the .177 because all I had were two .22's and I wanted something different. Different caliber, otherwise it didn't make sense for me. 

The power plant of the Sig is more efficient with the larger bore. Example, the AEAC review of the Sig in .177 was shooting the 13.4 gr JSB heavy at an average around 735 fps. My .22 cal shoots the 13.3 gr Wraith alloy pellet at 880 fps. That's 150 fps more with nearly the same pellet weight. I think the 8.4 gr JSB just broke the 1K fps barrier while my .22 cal shoots the 9.6 gr Crux alloy an easy 1050 to 1060 fps in warmer weather. Clearly the big bore is more efficient in the Sig.

The power plant of the Sig is more efficient with the larger bore. Example, the AEAC review of the Sig in .177 was shooting the 13.4 gr JSB heavy at an average around 735 fps. My .22 cal shoots the 13.3 gr Wraith alloy pellet at 880 fps. That's 150 fps more with nearly the same pellet weight. I think the 8.4 gr JSB just broke the 1K fps barrier while my .22 cal shoots the 9.6 gr Crux alloy an easy 1050 to 1060 fps in warmer weather. Clearly the big bore is more efficient in the Sig.

Thanks. More fuel for me wishing i got the .22.....

Thanks. More fuel for me wishing i got the .22.....

Sorry !😀