New guy looking for hunting rifle advice

Cringe worthy I guess, but quite frankly I'm lazy. Did do some searches on here looking for some answers, but thought I'd just ask the question. Looking for some helpful advice on a quality hunting package. Target will be small game; rats, squirrel, rabbit and possum etc. Best bang for the buck under $750 (total package). Thanks for any help and my apologies for such a lame first post.

Welcome aboard! 

What would the maximum distance you intend to shoot and is the sound of a gun blast any problem where you intend to shoot?

Would you prefer something self contained such as an accurate spring rifle or a PCP which would require you to get a pump or 

scuba tank? Are you in very good physical shape and over 200 pounds to use a high pressure hand pump to refill a PCP?

There are a lot of choices out there and depending on your maximum shooting distance and the level of quiet you need, and if

you are up to pumping or have a paintball shop that could fill your tank, that could narrow the recommendations and there are

several in mind.

CA

Completely new to air gunning. Noise really won't be an issue. Normal hunting range for an airgun? is what my expected hunting distances are. 20-50yds maybe. Springer I assume I manually cock? I know the PCP's are filled via a pump or scuba tank or something similar. Is one better than the other for hunting (PCP or springer)? Is one more inherently accurate than the other? I want an accurate out of the box combo that is not going to require any or a minimal amount of tinkering and fine-tuning. Not asking too much am I 😂

You can get more distance with PCPs for accuracy shooting. If you are hunting live animals you want to hit your mark where you aim at 50 yards so you will need a PCP or at least a PCP Hybrid such as a Nova Freedom which I have and would recommend it at least in 177. The only reservation is you mention possums and am not sure what it takes to kill one but I know you can so a head shot out to 85 yards with a 177 Nova Freedom at least with the one I have. I have been thinking about a 22 Nova Freedom but have seen not to favorable accuracy reviews so I am holding off for now and am fully content with my 177 for bird hunting out to 115 yards. Nominal shots are 40-65 yards with no misses and doping if windy. This gun is ridiculously easy to pump and is very quiet too and super easy to hit whatever you aim at no recoil at all. 10 shot repeater with reliable Marauder style magazine system too that lets you know when you are empty and need to reload without blank firing. There is a built in dial for low and high power setting. There is NOTHING TO TINKER OR MESS AROUND with this gun just pump it and shoot. High power with 10.34gr heavy pellets or low power with 8.44gr pellets just turn the 2 position dial on the gun. SIMPLE!

I pump it to 3000psi which is super easy to do then shoot 10 shots (One magazine) then pump it 20 times very easy to do then load a new mag and shoot again, no thinking just pump when you run out of ammo in the mag.

You can get a Nova Freedom in 177 for $399 from American Tactical.

You get a $151.99 good clear highly recommended brand scope

/www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Discovery-optical-sight-HI-4-16X44-SFIR-hawke-rifle-scope-with-Half-MIL-DOT-reticle-Illuminated/1923286_32953449605.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.21.3be582c8YaKRkJ

Then most importantly the ringss here

https://www.amazon.com/d/Scope-Rings/Sportsmatch-Rings-Adjustable-9-5-11mm-Dovetail/B005OJJF3A

Don't skimp out on the adjustable rings, trust me.

That is under your budget and go get yourself some 10.34gr and 8.44gr JSB or Air Arms pellets then you have fun.

CA

I gotta tell you that when I was a newby and had the 177 Nova Freedom been available then, I would probably be content with this one gun and not have spent a lot of money on other guns. I have guns costing more than 5x the cost of my 177 Nova Freedom and it is now my GO TO gun I grab

because I don't need to lug a tank around in the field nor bust my butt pumping with a hand pump which is no fun at all.

This thing is ridiculously accurate! It will probably be the LAST AIRGUN I PART WITH.

CA

You're on the right path. You got the right general idea as to difference between springers and PCPs. 

PCPs are generally more accurate, quieter, and have further range than springers. Springers have quirks such as a double recoil that can kill a scope and can be sensitive for accuracy purposes as to how you hold them. The primary advantage to a springer is that you don't have to fool with an air source. I generally steer people towards PCPs whenever their budget allows.

My first PCP was a .25 Benjamin Marauder and I never regretted the purchase. Its a hyper accurate and quiet gun out of the box. There's lots of ways you can tinker with it too should you decide to later. The only drawback I can see to starting with one is that its a hefty gun. There are options to make it lighter such as aftermarket aluminum air tubes, but that wouldn't be something to mess with for your first gun. There's been a couple of minor redesigns/upgrades to the Marauder model since it was introduced almost a decade ago. You'd want to get one of the newest ones. With coupons or deals you can expect to pay $500-$550 for one, leaving you room in your budget for an air source.

Over the past year I've also come to like the Airforce guns. You'd probably be interested in one of the SS models in either Condor or Talon builds (they come with a suppressor and are generally set up to be good pellet shooters, as opposed to other Airforce guns that are very good slug guns for larger game). They have a wider range of power adjustments and will be more versatile than a Marauder over a wider range of game. However they are single shot guns (meaning you have to manually reload each shot, not that you only get one shot on a fill of air, you'll get lots of shots on a single fill of air). The Marauders come with rotary magazines that can give you multiple shots with minimal movement. A Condor SS in .25 will be a couple of pounds lighter than a Marauder, will get far more shots on a fill, and can be set for almost twice the max power of a .25 Marauder. 

Someone with more experience with the Hatsan guns can weigh in on those. I have no experience with them (see below post). 

I also have one of the budget PCPs in .22 (a Gamo Urban) and have owned another (a Benjamin Discovery) but gave it away as a gift. Both are fine .22 airguns for their cost. But the Discovery requires an aftermarket suppressor. The Urban has one built on and is also magazine fed, while the Discovery is single shot.

I would recommend a .25 in whatever you get, so long as your primary purpose isn't shooting in the backyard where a .25 can pass thru most backstops. The .25 has a lot more oomph for hunting than a .177 or .22. The .25 is more impressive to people for their first hunting airguns. You'll be amazed how sometimes the .25 can kill better than a .22LR rimfire that has far more energy. 

I forgot to add, my buddy has a .25 Hatsan Flash, and I have shot it and it is an extremely impressive gun. It performs like a .25 Marauder in terms of out of the box power, shot count, and accuracy, and is quieter and lighter than Marauder and is half the cost. For your first PCP and introduction to the hobby, THAT might be the gun to try. With some discounts, you can pick one up for around $250-$260 or better. With a budget Chinese hand pump, you can get into PCPs for under $325 and decide whether its for you or not. Then you can look at some of the higher end PCPs should you like your experience. The only issue it has is that the magazines don't feed well. My buddy's gun is one of the first production run guns, I am not sure if the magazine issue has been cleared up or not. 

I think he will be using it for close quarters perhaps in an indoor garage or shed or attic when he mentioned rats.

I think he would need something that can easily be dialed down for rats as to not damage surrounding structures

something he would rather not have to tinker with. A Marauder or Kral will exceed the $750 total budget with tank

once the scope with mounts and the Troy Hammer improvement (for the Kral) they need some work in order to be reliable.

But I would really like to see what a 40fpe PCP 25 would do to a rat!

Have to get a 4500psi carbon fibre tank for refills in the field and a realiable fill source and is another thing to lug around

in the field.

CA

I have to say that pumping is NO FUN and STRONGLY urge you to hook up with a local airgunner with a PCP pump and offer to pump up his empty rifle to see if you can manage and live with pumping it with a hand pump.
I started with a hand pump and it made me not want to shoot my PCPs AT ALL and took up another hobby for a while till I got my CF tanks.

You HAVE to get a Carbon Fibre tank otherwise you won't want to shoot your pcp much if at all.

CA

I hand pumped a Marauder for the first several years and found it fine. Of course I didn’t know what I was missing until I switched to tanks and compressors. But its doable, especially with the small reservoirs the current round of budget PCPs have and when the purpose is hunting not plinking. One only has to pump from empty when the gun is out of the box or after tinkering inside the gun. Otherwise a person should only be pumping from the bottom of the shot string back up to the top.

A .25 Maurader doesn’t need any tinkering out of the box to be reliable. I can’t speak for the Kral. 

+1 on the .25 Marauder. They’re very good guns for the money (I’ve had a couple) As luck would have it, there’s one on the AGN classifieds right now. 

I also saw this. If you’re wanting something extreeemely powerful and very accurate for hunting, Korean guns can’t be beat for the money. I also owned one of these years ago. Side lever before side lever was cool, and it was a beast! 

1543209610_8100234405bfb828aed18b7.12493350_CF467A56-A217-49C2-9628-B10BE247B013.jpeg

In that price range I’d recommend a marauder Airgun depot has the rifle and pump combo for a reasonable price and it leaves you some room in your budget for a scope and rings also. I pumped mine for about a year before I bought a tank but I’ll still pump every so often still. It’s not bad and doesn’t take too long either. You can get a nice utg scope and rings for a good price and their of some good quality. 

https://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-marauder-synthetic-stock-air-rifle-combo.html

You can get more distance with PCPs for accuracy shooting. If you are hunting live animals you want to hit your mark where you aim at 50 yards so you will need a PCP or at least a PCP Hybrid such as a Nova Freedom

Some great suggestions on here, but I have to disagree with this statement to some degree.

It is a fact that it is much easier to accurately shoot a PCP, but to discount spring guns as incapable is simply a distortion of fact. Let’s remember that people have been hunting with spring powered air guns for decades without issue.

For the ranges being mentioned here, assuming 50yards really is the upper limit, I’d have no problem at all recommending a quality spring rifle. Remember that accuracy and placement is much more important than power when hunting. For the species you mentioned at the ranges you mentioned, a 12 ft/lb rifle would be adequate (perhaps keep the possums under 30 yards if you can). Over the years I’ve shot all manner of species out to 50 - 60 yards with my UK legal springers. If I’ve done my bit with the placement, there’s never been an issue. 

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that you shouldn’t go down the PCP route, I just know if it were me, I’d rather have a good quality springer than a cheapo PCP. I’d recommend having a look at the Weihrauch and Air Arms ranges of springers for consideration at least.

Just my thoughts, which you’re all welcome to disagree with!

I don't know how well the OP can shoot a traditional recoilling springer at 50 yards for humane hunting for live game and that is why I made the suggestion

unless he bought an RWS Diana 54 which would have been out of the question due to weight for field carry it would be the only springer I would recommend for 50 yard accurate shots on live game not knowing how good of a shot he is and providing a sure thing suggestion.

My Nova Freedom in 177 shoots more accurately at 50 yards than my 177 and 22 RWS 54s and 22 RWS 56TH, is lighter and easier to pump/cock and much quieter too. I have a 177 Walther LGV Competition Ultra that is a close second place accuracy wise at 50 yards but it does require being a relatively good shot.

If it were not for hunting live animals at 50 yards and just for target and plinking with then I would have eased up on the critical accuracy mindset and have a lot of wiggle room on the choices which would include many other springers to the mix.

I believe if you can't consistently hit a nickel or at the very least a quarter (US twenty five cents piece) at 50 yards with the equipment provided then either change the equipment if that is the limiting factor and better yet starting with something that can do it (gun-wise) is what I would recommend.

CA