New guy intended on break barrel, going PCP

New guy here. Stumbled onto this site after getting lost on AGD looking for a new break barrel springer or gas job to replace my 20yo RWS 320M. I I always wanted a FX impact but wasn't willing to spend the funds. after doing a few days worth of research i realized I kept stumbling back into the PCP section and that the entry level airguns weren't that much more than a break barrel. So after ready and asking some more questions, and drooling over RAY_PR's Avenge X, I realized that i could float my budget a little and splurge for one of those instead.

So as I patiently wait for AGD to get them Avenge X .25cal 210cc airguns back in stock, I find myself continuing to absorb as much as I can in the meantime.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far and advising me on the the make and model of attachments and accessories when I see them in use in your pics. Makes building the wish list alot easier. :)

Last edited:
Everyone should own at least one springer if for nothing else, to humble you when you think you're an awesome shot, then pick a springer back up...lol.
Also what Hold_Over asked if you still have the rifle. Which Diana since parts for them are pretty easy to find and they're not hard to work on and fix yourself.

500$ hw 95/R9 take out of it's box cock load and shoot all day every day .. all it needs is pellets to do so as is ..

all pcp .. out of the box and let's say $300 gun.. it's not .. first best buy a way to air it up to even shoot one pellet . So a compressor you would prefer. $300

ok it's aired up let's go ... Oops! No sights better buy a scope ,$200 .

ok let's go ... Oops something wrong with compressor or leaking .. ..

ok dang it I could of had 2 nice hw's for what that one pcp is costing me to even go shoot it ..lol.

pcp ..pretty costly product..

(Opinion). 🤤

New guy here. Stumbled onto this site after getting lost on AGD looking for a new break barrel springer or gas job to replace my 20yo RWS. (i forget the model# at the moment). I always wanted a FX impact but wasn't willing to spend the funds. after doing a few days worth of research i realized I kept stumbling back into the PCP section and that the entry level airguns weren't that much more than a break barrel. So after ready and asking some more questions, and drooling over RAY_PR's Avenge X, I realized that i could float my budget a little and splurge for one of those instead.

So as I patiently wait for AGD to get them Avenge X .25cal 210cc airguns back in stock, I find myself continuing to absorb as much as I can in the meantime.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far and advising me on the the make and model of attachments and accessories when I see them in use in your pics. Makes building the wish list alot easier. :)
And down the Rabbit Hold® he goes......Oh and welcome and good luck, you're going to need it. It's good to have a hobby or obsession, it's a fine line.

• Haha
Reactions: nastorino
I believe there is a gun for everyone, depends on your needs and budget. General backyard plinking, pesting at various distances, competitions, ETC.
Springers are great for many of these however, I have never heard of a springer entering the extreme bench rest. Now that would be interesting. Yes PCPs can be expensive with all the support items needed but I believe in the age old saying, "you cant take it with you" so enjoy while you can.

Welcome and smart of you to go pcp, such better accuracy much more easily than a springer!
Well, an honest man. You said it, easy. That's today's men, easy and little or no work required. I have seen lots of 50 yard and under groups from pcps posted on here I would be unhappy with from my springers. So I appreciate you putting it out there. Hey, I like automatic car washes evrn though I know I get a better job doing it buy hand, but is easy. I get it.

Well, an honest man. You said it, easy. That's today's men, easy and little or no work required. I have seen lots of 50 yard and under groups from pcps posted on here I would be unhappy with from my springers. So I appreciate you putting it out there. Hey, I like automatic car washes evrn though I know I get a better job doing it buy hand, but is easy. I get it.
PCP's especially well made higher end guns are inherently accurate, the part the shooter has to work on is to get as close to the guns incredible accuracy which takes a lot of practice and consistency, a constant refinement. I enjoy springers as there is something to be said about having just the gun and ammo and it's harder to achieve accuracy.

I am seriously thinking about selling all my PCP this year , maybe ill keep the USFT ?? don't know yet . Springer are great SSP's are wonderful .
I own 2, I don't see me getting another any time soon. 1 is my 2240 I built up and converted to hpa because it was fun to do. The other is a marauder 25 cal which gets me about 45 fpe. It has a place, power wise well outside the Springer range. That takes care of anything I am allowed to hunt with an air rifle in my state. Springers are my go to for every day fun/ small game. Big game is an archery pursuit. All recurve and longbow.

I own 2, I don't see me getting another any time soon. 1 is my 2240 I built up and converted to hpa because it was fun to do. The other is a marauder 25 cal which gets me about 45 fpe. It has a place, power wise well outside the Springer range. That takes care of anything I am allowed to hunt with an air rifle in my state. Springers are my go to for every day fun/ small game. Big game is an archery pursuit. All recurve and longbow.
MY friend has 8 English long bows , sold his recurves . but he only target shoots

Sorry, trying to answer the responses as quotes and cannot figure out how to do "multiple quotes" rather than each reply as a individual quote. I couldn't find it in the how to. It must not be an option on this board like it is in my John Deere Tractor forum (GTT). I'll answer a few of the common repeating questions here before I start quoting/ responding to individual ones.

I pulled the break barrel out of the closet. It is a RWS 320M that I've had for the better part of 20yrs. I bought it from Cabelas if recall correctly . It went with my buddy to the west coast and then came back to me on the east coast. Hasn't been shot in a number of years. I broke it out to star sighting it in and at 7yds I can hold roughly a 2" grouping circle, and that's using bench bags and the factory 3-9 scope. When I try for 20yds, I cannot get less than a 1ft grouping. I have checks the scope and rings, they're tight. I've even been picky about only grabbing nice pellets from the tin in hopes to get better/ repeatable performance. That hasn't helped me either. At this point I'm simply fed up with it. If it was a .22LR burner, I would have been done sighting in after 10-15 rounds and we are walking 1-2" repeatable hits.

I'm a 10/22 LR fanboy but being in CT sometimes it's more feasible to run a airgun rather than a 22LR with a suppressor due to legalities. the .22LR is frowned upon in some circumstances whereas the airgun is not regulated. Hell my 10/22 running subs is likely quieter than the Avenge X PCP.

When I was initially shopping for a break barrel springer or gas style, one i was overwhelmed, two I was seeing the prices, the heavy weight required to prepare the action, and the mediocre accuracy and figured between those 3 factors, It simply makes more sense to buy a quality PCP.

Last edited:
Reactions: coastal drifter