New guy in TX

About 15 years ago I owned a Crosman American Classic .177, did some mods like smoothing the trigger and aftermarket sight sold by Crosman but don't see them offered now. I was an IHMSA shooter in the 80's in upstate NY so naturally when I got my airgun I purchased little steel animals. The backyard was big enough I could shoot them at correct distances. That gun could shoot, I once shot a group you could cover with a dime. When we moved the HOA had a rule about airguns so I sold everything, now I find out their rules are unenforceable so I purchased a new American Classic. I see Crosman offers a steel breech and sight, don't remember my first gun had a steel breech so I'm wondering if the purchase of one now is worth it? I believe the aftermarket sight back 15 years had micro adjustment not like the one offered today. Can't remember the manufacturer of that sight but it was used in competition on big guns back in the day. Anyway I enjoy target shooting in my back yard and with big bore ammo in short supply pellets are fun to shoot. I'm retired now and have plenty of time to practice.

Welcome to the sickness/addiction. The steel breech, short or long, is one of the first, of many, upgrades I usually add to my 1377 or 22xx guns. As is the MIM rear sight although other larger sights are also available. They are definitely worth it in my eyes but competitions have been won with the original plastic breech left on though.

The new Crosman site is a poor substitute for what is really available from Crosman at this time. They should not have changed it until they had it together.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Crosman_LPA_MIM_Rear_Sight_For_Crosman_Guns_with_a_Steel_Breech/4385

Forest Gump Waving.1609707405.gif

Welcome and I would just shoot it as is for now and if you don't have at least 20+ yards to safely shoot I doubt the steel breech and sights would be of any benefit. Unenforceable HOA laws may not be unenforceable if anti gun neighbors hear you shoot.

Knowing that I would intentionally cross that HOA line I would buy a silencer for it first thing.

Give this guy a shout. Go with the front sight option.

https://www.airgununiverse.net/wp/store/