• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

new guy in search of accuracy.....

Hello.... my first post on here.... I'm an old high power service rifle shooter (Washington Army National Guard), an old 4-position smallbore shooter, and a smallbore and highpower silhouette shooter, but I'm too old to do those games much anymore, or at least to do them well. I've always trained at home on an RWS Model 75 10m gun (bought in 1984! -- and the old baby is still flinging 'em down range!), and I'm the new owner of a Gen 2, Synthetic B-Marauder in .177. Our local, dedicated but aging, indoor club has begun a very modest benchrest winter program. How do I turn my modest M-Rod into the best benchrest gun I can build? It's doing great indoors at 50', but we're searching for a suitable 25-50yd outdoor range for spring and summer. I've done some searching, but I can't understand half the terms. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance....

Oh My,First welcome aboard,second watch out for what your asking.

As an experience shooter you know it all starts in your head....that said you are asking a question with a quillion answers.

Do nothing....not one thing..until you can shoot that rifle the very best it can shoot.

After that look at the costs to get it where you want it.....say bench rest stock,better barrel and scope,right there is like $600 on the lesser side.Still not bad for getting it do be the best it can be.

Finding the best pellets for your stock rifle,the scope just has to be good enough to see clearly at the short distance your shooting at...

You have plenty of time to become very knowledgeable at this"game"....

Word to the wise,many people have fun spending other people money.LOL.

I would look into getting a Byods stock,then a LW barrel, a little trigger work and a good scope,one that you will not have to replace anytime soon.

Remember your rifle can be very accurate for what your asking and for well under $1000

Break it down,,,stock $220,Barrel $220,trigger work....scope.whatever you you think will fit the bill,but remember if your range is 50yds or less do not need a crazy amount of power,better to have a larger bell and better optics=can see target better.....to me better optics are waaaaay better than more magnifacation....sorry my spell checker broke.

Whatever you do,take your time and research everything people tell you,,,,you will become a very knowledgable person that will be able to help others..

I wasn't aware of the Walther barrel being available on a standard Marauder. Congrats.

First thing you need before touching anything is to change that scope to one with an adjustable objective. Either a front focus AO or a side focus preferably one with a 10 yard or less minimum focus. Today is the last day on super half price off scope deals. See and read the optics section forum asap. Looks like of you are quick enough you can get a fantastic $274 Sightron S Tac scope half price ends today Camera Land NY. Tomorrow maybe it's $500 or $600 for the same scope.

Yours has a fixed parallax for long distance fire arms hunting and is likely going to handicap you in the accuracy department at various airgun shooting distances due to parallax error whether you see and notice it in that scope picture or not.

Second is to shoot it over a chronograph and note down each and every shot from 3000 pounds psi until the velocity starts to drop and note down the remaining pressure probably every 10 shots. You want to find the sweet spot how much to fill the air into the gun short of maximum for best consistency.

Shoot domed round nosed pellets such as JSB or Air Arms labeled 8.44 or 10.34 for best accuracy then you are likely going to get you very good long range accuracy which most 177 Marauder shooters noticed.

What ever weight pellets stated above you shoot over the chronograph between 800 to 890 feet per second would be ideal. Perhaps the heavier 10.34 can do up to 900.

If shooting the cheap Crosman Premier hollow points you will likely need to lower the power any where between 600 and 800 feel per second. Probably get fliers if shoot these cheapies higher than 800 feet per second. Probably use only for close range plinking. 

Crosman Benjamin guns supposed to come straight from the factory with a decent tune as is.

Shoot it first with the recommended pellets before attempting to adjust any thing who knows maybe it's already good enough.

They have an excellent warranty as long as you don't tamper with or modify anything.

If mechanically inclined and don't need any factory warranty support just incase there are lots of modifications available for the Marauders. 

It can add up to some serious bucks when adding Hill and what not other brand parts and custom stock. 

If you want to void the warranty any way then first thing I would buy is a Huma regulator for it set at 1600 to 1700 pounds psi. 

Only negative is your pressure gauge on the gun will only read that regulator pressure so you have to keep count of your total shot number to know when to refill.

It is like your fuel gauge in your car stuck at half tank. You only see when it dips below half tank by then your gun is already shooting slower and accuracy not as great. 

Wow... what a ton of information! My Crossfire does have an adjustable objective, but it is cheap... 200 green ones. I can't move on a scope just yet, but you have moved an optic upgrade to the top of my list... You could once get a LW barrel from Pryamid Air for about $100 more; and I did pull the shroud and stripper and counted the groves to be sure... 12! As I said, it's doing good at 50'. Almost one hole groups with Crossman Premier 10.5/4.5 ... some clover leafs, to be honest... I'll get the Huma or Hill and regulate it, a better scope... and we'll see...

I'm too old to buy a $2500 gun! As George Burns once said, "At my age, I don't even buy green bananas!"

@cousinjenny - a photo from this past summer of my blinged out little .177 mrod gen2. ;) AA 10.3's - it's kinda stupid accurate. I used it just for kicks once last summer at one of my farm permissions and was picking off pigeons off of a silo @55-60 yards. I told a buddy / co-worker at work - "hey man - that little m-rod of mine was EE'ing . . . ! 😁 " ( "Exceeding Expectations" - it's a rating that one might get at annual performance reviews )

It's a LW barrel - thats what it shipped with / OEM. Custom aluminum air tube - *much* lighter than the OEM steel one. I do have a huma reg in it and thats one of the craftsmanvit stocks.

my_blinged_out_mrod.1640998744.JPG

Batman 2 ....

You are of, course, right.... I just drug it out of the safe and checked. I have no idea why I thought it was a 44. Part of my difficulty in benchrest is going to be my inexact mind... I am a retired school counselor and a current ski patrolman, and no engineer. I'm beginning to see an analytical mind is necessary in this game. Hope I can measure up... thank you...

20211231_184648.1641005871.jpg

@cousinjenny - a photo from this past summer of my blinged out little .177 mrod gen2. ;) AA 10.3's - it's kinda stupid accurate. I used it just for kicks once last summer at one of my farm permissions and was picking off pigeons off of a silo @55-60 yards. I told a buddy / co-worker at work - "hey man - that little m-rod of mine was EE'ing . . . !
1f601.svg
" ( "Exceeding Expectations" - it's a rating that one might get at annual performance reviews )

It's a LW barrel - thats what it shipped with / OEM. Custom aluminum air tube - *much* lighter than the OEM steel one. I do have a huma reg in it and thats one of the craftsmanvit stocks.

my_blinged_out_mrod.1640998744.JPG
Wow..... Beautiful...

thanks!//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

cousinjenny= I also agree that Hillairgun.com is a great place to get your aftermarket parts. Tim always got back to me fast with any question i had along with his recommendations. If you do add a reg i would also get the Huma Quick Fill. You just replace your factory fill connection with the Huma, which now reads your tank pressure & your original guage will read your reg pressure. You can get one at TreniersOutdoods.com. 

Welcome to a great forum full of folks who will help you with endless information. I think a FX Crown would be a good choice, and if you are wanting perfection order a Thomas rifle. That’s my dream. I think you are going to be amazed by the next step beyond the Marauder, not that the marauder isn’t good, they are great. Have a fun adventure!

A very hearty welcome to the forum. Glad that you joined our fun hobby.

What are you using for a front and rear rest? I’ve been shooting BR for a bit over 3 years now and have been down the rest rabbit hole buying and selling lots of rests. I’ve settled on using a bi-pod in the front and a squeeze bag or Holeshot mechanical rest in the rear.

Find the pellet that your rifle likes best. You may have better accuracy shooting from a single shot tray than from a magazine? But not necessarily so it’s a trial and error thang.

A fancy Boyd’s stock may be fine for some but it may not be the best use of your money right now. 

A chronograph is a VERY handy tool to tune your rifle for optimum performance and may be a better investment than the Boyd’s stock.

Experiment with different hold pressures. Does your rifle like free recoil, light pressure, firm pressure or white knuckle grip it to death pressure?

Keep a range log and copious notes. When you find something that improves accuracy or maybe doesn’t work, write it down. We aren’t getting any younger and I have difficulty remembering what I had for breakfast so my range log is a very valuable tool for me. Now if I could only remember where I put it ;)

You don’t need a regulator in your rifle (IF) you know where the “sweet spot” is in the shot string pressure curve. Once you have plotted the shot string and found the sweet spot it’s just a matter of filling your gun to that upper pressure and shooting down to the lowest pressure in your sweet spot.

I would think your rifle is competitive once you get to know its intricacies 

There are lots of high end rifles that might be competitive but there are also some very low cost rifles that do quite well. I have a $300 Avenger that is my 2nd most accurate rifle I own and I have been through more high end rifles than I care to admit.

If your still looking for an optic upgrade I’d also suggest a Mueller 8-32 target dot scope which can be had for $250 ish.