New guy in Phoenix

Hi there,

Heard that this forum is a solid resource for no BS info on air rifles. My father shoots a metric ton of air rifle and I primarily have shot centerfire sports (USPSA, PRS/NRL, etc.) and have decided to dip my toe in to possibly Field Target to use the rifle more. I picked up a Benjamin Armada and have swapped the stock and grip to make it feel more like my PRS rifle and basically use it in the back yard shooting into a pellet trap off a barricade for positional practice for PRS/NRL. That said, I know FT is a totally different game and looking to glean as much info as I can from the resources here. The biggies I know I need to do to the rifle:

- Change the scope. Reticle is mil-dots and that drives me bananas as I use a mil-has type reticle in my PRS rifle (Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27x w/ EBR-7c).
- I get about 70-80 nice consistent shots without big POI change, but at the shorter distances in the backyard, it hasn't made that much of a difference. I just need to get off my butt and see if the my Magnetospeed will pickup the pellet.
- Rifle. I don't think it really needs any tuning. Just go shoot and learn FT. The short version, I know gear isn't the limiting factor for a new FT shooter (in most cases).
- Pellets. 10.5gr AA or JSB pellets seem to be the ticket.
- Ancillary gear. Just don't know what I don't know, so when the next weekend match is I plan on showing up to see how it goes.

Any info is appreciated as well as any recommended tweaks to the Armada/Marauder actions. Like most things any serious modifications can probably wait, but if there are some baseline should-do's I'm open to it.

Thanks and looking forward to learning.

Rich

Morning Rich & welcome.

Phoenix is a great place to be for airgunning. The Rio Salado shooting range is host to quite a few different airgun events on a monthly possibly even weekly basis. Their EFT (Extreme Field Target) course is fantastic. It offers steel knockdown targets from 15y to 100y.

Extreme Benchrest is one of the countries largest annual events and its happening this week/weekend. There’s 100y Benchrest, Speed Silhouette, a Steel Scramble combo event (that includes some PRS style shooting), and of course EFT.

Spectators are always welcome, the comradrie is fantastic, and you’re guaranteed to pick up a zillion tips and tricks while there.

I believe EFT is on Thursday, if that’s the discipline you’re leaning towards, but the entire event is fantastic.

I’ll be there shooting video, hope to meet you in person!

-Michael

Reactions: uscbigdawg
I live about 2.5hrs from Phoenix but travel down there for matches on a regular basis.

Not just Phoenix, but AZ in general is an awesome place to be into airguns. Most months I have to make a decision about which matches I'm going to attend and which I'll sadly have to miss.

If you're into camping, we have summer ft matches just over the AZ/NM border (east of Alpine, AZ) in May, June, July. Beautiful high altitude conifer forests.
We also have the monthly ft matches just south of Flagstaff, AZ May through October. Those can turn into camping/airgun shooting weekends too, if so inclined.

Then there's the monthly, winter ft matches at Ben Avery and Rio Salado. And as touched on above, there are monthly (also in the winter only) high power/long range field target matches at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club.

There's also a bunch of benchrest stuff that happens at Rio Salado, short range indoor stuff, as well as outdoor long range. And Quail Creek down by Tucson still puts on some airgun competitions (no field target though, at least not that I'm aware of).

Arizona has TONS of airgun competitions happening.

Reactions: uscbigdawg
Morning Rich & welcome.

Phoenix is a great place to be for airgunning. The Rio Salado shooting range is host to quite a few different airgun events on a monthly possibly even weekly basis. Their EFT (Extreme Field Target) course is fantastic. It offers steel knockdown targets from 15y to 100y.

Extreme Benchrest is one of the countries largest annual events and its happening this week/weekend. There’s 100y Benchrest, Speed Silhouette, a Steel Scramble combo event (that includes some PRS style shooting), and of course EFT.

Spectators are always welcome, the comradrie is fantastic, and you’re guaranteed to pick up a zillion tips and tricks while there.

I believe EFT is on Thursday, if that’s the discipline you’re leaning towards, but the entire event is fantastic.

I’ll be there shooting video, hope to meet you in person!

-Michael
My current rifle certainly lacks the horsepower for extended range anything however I sense a serious upgrade in my future.

I live about 2.5hrs from Phoenix but travel down there for matches on a regular basis.

Not just Phoenix, but AZ in general is an awesome place to be into airguns. Most months I have to make a decision about which matches I'm going to attend and which I'll sadly have to miss.

If you're into camping, we have summer ft matches just over the AZ/NM border (east of Alpine, AZ) in May, June, July. Beautiful high altitude conifer forests.
We also have the monthly ft matches just south of Flagstaff, AZ May through October. Those can turn into camping/airgun shooting weekends too, if so inclined.

Then there's the monthly, winter ft matches at Ben Avery and Rio Salado. And as touched on above, there are monthly (also in the winter only) high power/long range field target matches at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club.

There's also a bunch of benchrest stuff that happens at Rio Salado, short range indoor stuff, as well as outdoor long range. And Quail Creek down by Tucson still puts on some airgun competitions (no field target though, at least not that I'm aware of).

Arizona has TONS of airgun competitions happening.
Hey bud,

Ironically, I used to live not 20 minutes from Rio when I was serious about pistol and 3-gun. Moved right when I started doing some 10m air rifle with a FWB I picked up.

I’m less than 20 now from Ben Avery now and may have talk with the management at CowTown as their pistol bags would be great for FT!