• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

New guy gets no love!

I personally don't buy anything unless it's from a member I've seen on the forums for years.

the offer I make if someone i don't know is selling is : ....."you send me the item and after I check it out I pay" not worried if if they don't go for it i just keep looking ;0

@SimpleGuy. I totally feel your pain. The group here is very knowledgeable and active but I’ve gotta say I’ve rarely come across a more xenophobic forum. It’s almost as if they resent new members. This is a shame because many of us are seasoned shooters, Airgunners and (not me) tinkering wizards. Plus many new members have good sh…stuff to sell/trade and $$ to buy their treasures. Oh well. Stick with them. I am because there is a treasure trove of wisdom here and $$ to buy your stuff. I agree though, we are all skiddish of scammers who seem to bloom like spring dandelions. My most recent (last night) was some “oceanographer” who wanted me to arrange for a courier to pick it up… seriously?? That scam is 10 years old

Get your post count up, and show you’re honest and trustworthy. Maybe even ask for a phone conversation to ease the tension. I am one of those that will only buy from someone who is “seasoned”.
That being said, I sold a wildcat recently to a member that was fairly new, but after many texts and conversations, believed it wasn’t a scam, and the sale went fine.
Instead of posting and complaining, do your best to show you are trustworthy, and it will go much farther
Good luck

This is so tricky. Posting on a forum does not make one trustworthy. Neither does being a member for a long time. Post count only shows one’s willingness to use his or her (they) fat thumbs to spout off (like I’m doing now). Being honest and trustworthy makes one honest and trustworthy. Think Forrest Gump. That being said I do tend to look at how long someone has been around too. These transactions come with risk! I’ve always been surprised that the concept of escrow has not taken off. You pay third party, I ship item. You receive, they release $$. Simple and safe for both sides. Because I’m not shipping without payment and you should not pay with assurance you’re going to get what was promised. It’s a hot button for me too being new to this site but I see both sides

Reactions: SimpleGuy
Get your post count up, and show you’re honest and trustworthy. Maybe even ask for a phone conversation to ease the tension. I am one of those that will only buy from someone who is “seasoned”.
That being said, I sold a wildcat recently to a member that was fairly new, but after many texts and conversations, believed it wasn’t a scam, and the sale went fine.
Instead of posting and complaining, do your best to show you are trustworthy, and it will go much farther
Good luck
Not complaining just voicing my opinion and being vocal about something I feel wasn't right. I'm going to always speak up for myself Noone will!

More of these responses make sense if the OP was selling something, but he is wanting to buy.

Part of the issue, of course, is that folks may not have, or may not be wanting to part with what you want to buy.

Another part may be the be the added complexity of the new Classifieds forum, where everything stays jumbled together whether it is for sale, for trade, wanted, sold, traded, NLA, etc. Just makes it overall more confusing, as compared to the old site. Easier and clearer when looking through the posts on the old site when found/traded/sold/NLA stuff was placed 8-10 pages down and didn't clutter the top.

I don't have a problem dealing with new members at all. I was a new guy at one time. Plus, i'm just not that paranoid. Worst case I'll ask to call you on the phone, which is how we all done business back in the day. Meet a lot of nice people that way.

Honestly, it's probably more of a "what you're looking for or what you have" situation rather than just being new. Unless of course they specifically mentioned you being new as the problem.

The airgun group is a trendy bunch, especially this day in age with a ton of options. The pellet shortage issue plays in too.

Regardless, don't let it get to you, just hang around and shoot the breeze a bit. There are other places you can list stuff for sale too. It ain't the end of the world. If I can help you any way, gimme a shout!

Just keep at it, it takes a while.
The classifieds are slow the last few months. Inflation is up and increased gas prices is draining all my extra normal spending money. I have to fill my truck and equipment up everyday and I could just about buy a new impact with what I spend on gas every month now.
People all want bargain basement prices or they aren’t spending their money. High shipping costs are also contributing to the slow down.

This is so tricky. Posting on a forum does not make one trustworthy. Neither does being a member for a long time. Post count only shows one’s willingness to use his or her (they) fat thumbs to spout off (like I’m doing now). Being honest and trustworthy makes one honest and trustworthy.
So true,

the biggest scammer I remember off was a long standing member on the Yellow, all of a sudden he started doing some real bad stuff and since he was such a long standing well known member he got a lot of people before we started to see what was happening

many members lost a lot of guns and money,......wander what ever happen to him.

BTW he was the one that coined the say " mousefart quiet " :)

Good luck
Phone convo is huge and even when im selling an item I have the buyer reach out via phone , not just when im buying

So true,

the biggest scammer I remember off was a long standing member on the Yellow, all of a sudden he started doing some real bad stuff and since he was such a long standing well known member he got a lot of people before we started to see what was happening

many members lost a lot of guns and money,......wander what ever happen to him.

BTW he was the one that coined the say " mousefart quiet " :)

I spent a lot of time trying to warn people about Yo!/Odoyle/Van Thong/AJ from the very start. And I was made out to be an asshole for it, and it all played out just as I had warned about.

Let that be a lesson to what post count and familiarity actually means in the scheme of things... He was a prolific poster, in all sections, and everyone knew his presence here and seemed to like him (for reasons unknown to me) But oddly enough, no one knew who he actually was. Well a few of us did...

Last edited:
I need to apologize. I got stirred up and aggressive.
I agree that lots of posts over a long time is often a good indication the member is trustworthy. I guess my point was that because a person does not want to engage with all the lovely people in a group is not an indication of untrustworthiness. I buy, shoot and when my wife throws a fit, sell. I don’t save much time for a tête-à-tête here. All that said I had no reason and no right to get defensive and snippy. I’ll endeavor to chill in future.