New gun, New member

Hello AGN! I’ve lurked here for a while, but now that I have my 2nd PCP it’s officially become a hobby and I figured it was time to make an account.

A couple years ago I moved out to some acreage in San Diego County, CA and was looking for a way to eliminate small pests. Our property is perched near the top of a ridge, which is great for the views but terrible for shooting (since almost every direction is sloped downward into the neighboring properties.) So, I figured a firearm would be overkill for squirrels and rats when a “bb gun” would probably be enough. I had no idea PCPs even existed yet, but I’m glad I did some research first. Damn, what a rabbit hole! 😅

Thanks to advice I read on AGN and elsewhere back then, I got a .25 Mrod with cheapo scope just to test the waters. The Mrod’s been a great gun over the last two years: reliable and accurate, and has taken many a squirrel (and even a pocket gopher in one of my proudest pesting moments.) I hadn’t shot a “bb gun” since I was a kid, so I was surprised by the relative power this airgun could put out. However, a few things eventually bugged me… the bolt action is stiff, which makes it harder to take quick follow-ups, and of course eventually I got bitten by the more-power bug. I debated spending $$ to make it better, but in the end it made more sense to just get a new gun. Plus… it was an excuse to get a new gun!

I wanted to see what a more powerful PCP could do… So, since I had such great luck with one of AGN’s most beloved guns, naturally for my next gun I went with one of AGN’s most hated guns: the W.A. Sidewinder.

Just teasing… mostly. 😎 Actually, it was thanks to @Emu 's reviews that tipped my decision to the .25 Sidewinder over some of the more popular guns that I was considering (Daystate, BRK, FX). I’ve had it for about 4 mos now, and love it. It’s obviously far more powerful than the Mrod… and since it’s only my 2nd PCP, I was actually surprised (again) by the power a PCP was capable of. I haven’t seriously attempted slugs yet, but I did grab a FX pocket radar v2 because, you know… rabbit hole. For now I’m happy with keeping it on the lowest reg setting, using King Heavies at 70fpe which gets about 3 mags (~45 shots) per fill.

I know semi-autos have their shortcomings, but I’m glad it exists because it does everything I need plus a bunch of things I don’t need, which should keep me happy for a while. So far the only downside to semi-auto is that I need to drastically increase my ammo budget! I’ve been having fun lately practicing for speed and accuracy combined… which chews through a lot of lead. But did I mention it’s fun? (And before you roll your eyes… if you’ve ever tried to defend your garden against an entire strike-team of crazed veggie-raiding Squirrels, you’ll know why I’m practicing that way!)

One of my main interests now is learning how to make my own ammo, so you’ll probably see me asking dumb questions over in the Projectiles forum. Gotta be careful not to fall down too many rabbit holes at once, though!

Lastly, here’s some pics I took of the Sidewinder during a break in our rain the other day:

sidewinder020724-2.jpg

sidewinder020724-1.jpg

Welcome aboard! There are a few of us here in SD county (Oceanside, Lakewood, SD) Who've become hunting/shooting friends. Have vineyards in Ramona, properties in Valley Center, etc. where we gather & have FUN & "airgun bond" 🙂 Feel free to PM me if you ever want to meet up. It's always more enjoyable than shooting alone. Nice new gun BTW. ENJOY!

Reactions: TattoosByJohnnyV
Welcome aboard! There are a few of us here in SD county (Oceanside, Lakewood, SD) Who've become hunting/shooting friends. Have vineyards in Ramona, properties in Valley Center, etc. where we gather & have FUN & "airgun bond" 🙂 Feel free to PM me if you ever want to meet up. It's always more enjoyable than shooting alone. Nice new gun BTW. ENJOY!
Thanks for the kind words Gerry! I'll definitely PM you (edit- when I'm able to.) I've noticed there seems to be quite a few members in this area, which is one of the reasons I wanted to open an account. Always more fun to share a hobby, and I'm sure my wife would like a break from hearing all about these airguns :LOL:

Thanks for the kind words Gerry! I'll definitely PM you (edit- when I'm able to.) I've noticed there seems to be quite a few members in this area, which is one of the reasons I wanted to open an account. Always more fun to share a hobby, and I'm sure my wife would like a break from hearing all about these airguns :LOL:
Great guys, champion shooters, great camaraderie AND you'd get to try out all manner of other airguns. What town/area in general are you located?

Reactions: TattoosByJohnnyV
Welcome @the_derelict !! This is a Forum in which we learn a lot. There are many good fellows always open to help.

Your Steve Corcoran’s walnut stock of your Sidewinder is also beautiful.

The Sidewinder is a rifle that is difficult to leave aside when the adventure begins.

Thank you Emu! Yes, I think the stock completely changes the look of the gun. Ever since I first saw the Sidewinder I was wishing for them to make a wooden stock version. I only just installed it a couple days ago but it’s been raining too hard to shoot it yet.

Reactions: Sean_Eason
Hello Derelict
Welcome to AGN
That sure is a pretty stock on your sidewinder!
Went from a M-rod to a semi-auto ...yep..DEEP in the rabbit hole now!!
I'm just a little south of you in the Mission Valley Area..not many places to shoot in the city :(
A couple of nice indoor 100yrd ranges ..one in Poway should be near to you. I go to P2K range in El Cajon.
Lots of knowlegeable people here...think you're going to need it with a semi-auto (not the most reliable)
We should be out from the rain for a bit...Happy Shooting
Mike

Reactions: the_derelict
That stock is gorgeous. All together a very handsome rifle. How do you like the performance of the rifle with your S.W.A.T. scope. I have used the same on glass on my Akela and find it especially easy to get on target quickly and accurately.

View attachment 433984

Nice Akela! :love: My Marauder has a synthetic stock so I was hoping for some wood on my 2nd gun.

It took me a little bit to adjust to the idea of zero eye relief, but now I love it and like you say it's great for getting on target quickly. That was one of my main goals with this gun and the SWAT works very well for that.

Reactions: orangeokie
Hello Derelict
Welcome to AGN
That sure is a pretty stock on your sidewinder!
Went from a M-rod to a semi-auto ...yep..DEEP in the rabbit hole now!!
I'm just a little south of you in the Mission Valley Area..not many places to shoot in the city :(
A couple of nice indoor 100yrd ranges ..one in Poway should be near to you. I go to P2K range in El Cajon.
Lots of knowlegeable people here...think you're going to need it with a semi-auto (not the most reliable)
We should be out from the rain for a bit...Happy Shooting
Mike

Thank you manabe. Lovely area down there... I should definitely check out some of those ranges. I've been looking for a way to shoot longer distance since my property's not safe for shooting over ~70yd because of the way it slopes.

" but now that I have my 2nd PCP it’s officially become a hobby" obsession i.e. falling down the Rabbit Hole®

Welcome and nice pictures, actually very nice pictures, great composition.

HK

That's the truth! :LOL:

Thanks for your compliments.... photography/videography has been tangentially part of my career over the last couple decades so I guess it could count as another one of my hobbies.

Reactions: HogKiller