New gun arriving questions.

I usually clean the barrel, check the screws, check the bore out with a flashlight for rough spots or bad crown, and shoot the gun for accuracy and make sure it's not a lemon before going any further.

If it were a break barrel, I would do the above but push a pellet through the bore from the breech to make sure it felt like it should. If it was wonky, I'd try and return it if it wasn't a huge hassle.

Reactions: Deerstalker
After cleaning the barrel I would shoot it a little to do a function check. I would then take the rifle apart and remove the factory grease. Then relube the internal parts with a proper moly paste. Don't forget Blue Loctite on the screws.
I use moly paste and black tar for the piston spring from Air Rifle Headquarters.
Their are lots of good u-tube videos on disassembly and relubing the HW77.

Congratulations on a sweet air rifle! I suggest cleaning the barrel as stated before. There is a really good chance the rifle will like H&N pellets. The Field Target Trophy or Baracuda match are good first choices. Some people even have very good success with Crosman pellets, give those a try.

Also, during the break in period, the screws will come loose at the trigger guard and side stock screws. You can clean the screws and screw holes with some alcohol and use a very small amount of blue locktite. Mine still came loose afterwards, YMMV. Wheeler makes a nice screw driver set, fits right in my range bag. You are going to need them.

I would hold off on putting a kit in the rifle just yet. Shoot a couple of tins of pellets and show some cans some what for! Reactive targets are the best. Read up on the forums and watch some youtube videos and see how deep this rabbit hole is. I suggest a monthly budget for pellets and upgrades. You are going to need it.

Reactions: Zut
After cleaning the barrel I would shoot it a little to do a function check. I would then take the rifle apart and remove the factory grease. Then relube the internal parts with a proper moly paste. Don't forget Blue Loctite on the screws.
I use moly paste and black tar for the piston spring from Air Rifle Headquarters.
Their are lots of good u-tube videos on disassembly and relubing the HW77.
Then shoot them until they brake. And fixim again. Dang I love a spring gun.

A quality spring-piston airgun is a well-made, sturdy item, intended for the 90% of buyers who don't read forums! Unless you've gotten a very rare total lemon, there is absolutely no reason to get inside the action. Maybe later, after a thorough break-in, you will decide a tune is in order...but for now just start shooting - and have fun!

I do agree with the recommendations to clean the barrel and check the screws. Besides the hints already discussed for the latter, I would add: 1) use proper parallel-sided gunsmith screwdrivers that fit the screw slots precisely - a typical tapered blade will mar the slots; 2) check the stock inletting for rough spots (raised grain, finish runs, etc.) while you have the action out of the wood, and give it a few swipes with sandpaper if you see any obvious pressure points.

Reactions: fishing43