• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New game. 50 metres, 100 shot groups!

Okay guys and girls. As much as I love seeing people post pics of their best 5 or 10 shot groups, how about we change the game a little bit. I sat down this afternoon to see how many shots per fill I was getting from my Royale 400. (Just fitted a Huma regulator and a 500cc carbon fibre bottle) I started shooting over the chrony at a target set at 50m (55 yards). After a few shots I thought this would be a great indicator of actual consistency and accuracy if I shot all pellets at the same target.

Now I'm not the greatest shot, and my Royale doesn't have the lowest ES or SD out there, but here is my target of 100 shots at 50 metres, straight out of the tin, resting on a folded blanket. (Next time Ill have the picatinny rail fitted for the bipod) At the widest point it measures 1 7/8 inch and that was with a breeze that picked up during the shot string. The vertical string was just over an inch so I reckon if it was dead still then all 100 shots would have been within an inch or so. 

Mod edit: moved to FT, Benchrest, and Target Shooting forum 

1565177232_2153505125d4ab590dbb680.25654997_20190807_160428.jpg

If any of you are game, I would love to see some of you do the same and post some pics. Some of you have some magnificent airguns with ridiculously low extreme spreads and it would be great to see some 100 shot groups out of them. I feel it is a true indicator of your rifles consistency and accuracy compared to a 3 or 5 or 10 shot group. I will be testing my Wildcat MK1 next as soon as I get time. It puts 8 shots in 3/8 inch at 50m so it will be interesting to see how it goes with the "Hundo at a Fiddy" competition. It doesn't have to be on one fill. Or in one sitting. 

James 

l always enjoy such esoteric exercises, but I'm not quite sure what this one will show us. It's not often I have the need to shoot something 100 times......be a mighty tough squirrel! Seriously, for target work, whether for group or score, the shooter's biggest challenge is dealing with conditions, whether weather, rifle, or shooter related. During a single target stage, those variables are manageable by a good shooter who knows his/her equipment. Some very good rifle barrels foul after significantly fewer shots, some will fall off the regulator more quickly, some very fine unregulated rifles will not have that shot count, some shooters don't have the endurance, and the list goes on. It could be an interesting competition among purpose-built rifles. As someone said, it may be the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem. 

Reactions: Centercut
l always enjoy such esoteric exercises, but I'm not quite sure what this one will show us. It's not often I have the need to shoot something 100 times......be a mighty tough squirrel! Seriously, for target work, whether for group or score, the shooter's biggest challenge is dealing with conditions, whether weather, rifle, or shooter related. During a single target stage, those variables are manageable by a good shooter who knows his/her equipment. Some very good rifle barrels foul after significantly fewer shots, some will fall off the regulator more quickly, some very fine unregulated rifles will not have that shot count, some shooters don't have the endurance, and the list goes on. It could be an interesting competition among purpose-built rifles. As someone said, it may be the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem.

Nobody mentioned a problem. Just a fun and different way to test both man and machine. You are correct, nobody shoots a squirrel 100 times. But lots of people shoot 100 squirrels over a period of time. Anybody can put 5 shots in a half inch at 50, but that doesn't mean the next 95 will be inside that. Refill your rifle 10 times, clean it if you like. If you don't wish to play, that's fine. But I welcome you to pick your favorite/most reliably consistent gun and show off its and your true consistency. 

James. 

Nobody mentioned a problem. Just a fun and different way to test both man and machine. You are correct, nobody shoots a squirrel 100 times. But lots of people shoot 100 squirrels over a period of time. Anybody can put 5 shots in a half inch at 50, but that doesn't mean the next 95 will be inside that. Refill your rifle 10 times, clean it if you like. If you don't wish to play, that's fine. But I welcome you to pick your favorite/most reliably consistent gun and show off its and your true consistency. 

James.

Okay, I guess I misunderstood the intent of the 100 shot group. If the rifle can be cleaned and refilled as necessary during the course of shooting the group, then it seems we are talking about a similar test as the aggregate of 20, 5-shot groups, you just lose the averaging effect of the flyers, so your worst group becomes your only group, pretty hard core, interesting, good luck. 

I like the idea, and you could call it the black hole challenge. See who’s 100 shot black hole is smallest. And if you adjusted the scope so the group was a distance from the crosshairs the black hole wouldn’t obstruct the aim point. You would always have the same tiny aim point and the hole wouldn’t affect your aim. Another fun but frustrating game is the target with all the little circles and you shoot once at each circle, trying to get the shot right in the center. That’s definitely a hard one.

When I do a full shot string over the chrony, I aim at a target at 55y to have the same POA as much as possible. Mostly to keep a consistent trajectory over the chrony.. I posted one a while back and got the same "WHY" responses. Can't find the pic or the post but it was upwards of 100 shots and within 2-3 inches total, maybe a few outlyers. Gets tough when the POA ends up not have a target. to aim at. I think that was with a .177 Wildcat at 18fpe, could be wrong...