• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning NEW FX Wildcat Mk3 Sniper (.22) - NEED HELP, NEW GUN NOT SHOOTING

UPDATE: Sorry to keep all of you hanging on the edge of your seats. I had to work late last night and the wife was bugging me for attn, so I didn't get around to testing if it fired or not until around 9pm. ALAS, the moment you've ALL been waiting for has arrived........THE GUN FIRES!!!! @pieterdg - enormous kudos for solving the mystery here, with the removal of the lock/shipping screw; that did the trick. I just can't believe that when speaking with the PA customer service rep, he didn't think to suggest I check if the shipping screw was still installed or not. He didn't even attempt to troubleshoot with me at all. His only offering was for me to return/exchange the gun, and get placed at the very back of the "pre-order waiting line" until April, when they receive more stock of the wildcat from FX. Being the stubborn and sometimes inpatient man that I am, I said "to hell with that, it's gotta be something simple".......and I'm so glad that I came here looking for help/advice.

I truly appreciate/thank everyone for taking the time to help me figure this out. This seems like a great community of fellow airgun enthusiasts, and I will surely be returning to airgunnation for both giving advice (when/where I can), and asking for advice & general discussion. I attached some pics below, of my first grouping that I shot in my basement shooting range, as well as a pic of my gun/rig. The target was set at 22 yds (one end of my basement to the other end). I'm shooting 23gr Javelin slugs and man are they accurate and heavy hitting. I still need to tune this gun for high power, and I plan on doing that next. I heard somewhere that setting the externally adjustable reg to 150 bar (and no more than that) and having the hammer spring screw set to around 6mil or a little less, is the ideal/max high power tuning combo. I will need to get a micrometer to measure the screw still....and furthermore, I still need a chrono to get an idea of what FPS I'm shooting. Definitely going to be getting a compressor at some point down the road as well...pumping by hand is already getting old haha. God d***nit this hobby is expensive, lol. All in due time though!

@ladwict - I'm always down to learn something new...and having this issue out of the gate definitely allowed me to learn my new rifle, and how it all works from taking it apart and such. And I'm always looking for an excuse or reason to buy new/more tools haha ;) No tool is a bad investment, in my book!

Thanks again everyone,

Cheers, Brett

4.1611240112.jpg

6.1611240111.jpg

5.1611240112.jpg

Good to hear you got it aired up.

Interesting thought about that screw if it's a hammer restrictor you can probably screw it in to dry fire practice and to adjust and test the trigger without having to waste air or worry about damaging the valve. Be sure to not install the magazine though.

You can't. The hammer damages it, flattening the threads and bending it so it eventually cannot be removed without some serious surgery. Happened with a few of the FX guns one of our previous, less competent SA distributors sold.If you look at the OP's pic you can already see how the threads are flat on one side after relatively few attempts to fire.

I can't imagine it's great for the hammer to repeatedly smack into a metal screw with barely any give either.

Interesting thought about that screw if it's a hammer restrictor you can probably screw it in to dry fire practice and to adjust and test the trigger without having to waste air or worry about damaging the valve. Be sure to not install the magazine though.

You can't. The hammer damages it, flattening the threads and bending it so it eventually cannot be removed without some serious surgery. Happened with a few of the FX guns one of our previous, less competent SA distributors sold. If you look at the OP's pic you can already see how the threads are flat on one side after relatively few attempts to fire.

I can't imagine it's great for the hammer to repeatedly smack into a metal screw with barely any give either.

That's good to know, thank you. Good thing I didn't get myself into that situation, where I'd be having to perform screw removal surgery haha. Been down that road too many times with weak metal screws getting stripped out or snapping/shearing. Hopefully my hammer didn't suffer any kind of damage from firing it the 20-25 times I did, before removing that screw. I'll get around to inspecting it eventually, to make sure that it's all good.

You can't. The hammer damages it, flattening the threads and bending it so it eventually cannot be removed without some serious surgery. Happened with a few of the FX guns one of our previous, less competent SA distributors sold.If you look at the OP's pic you can already see how the threads are flat on one side after relatively few attempts to fire.

Agreed. I'm just happy for the guy that he was able to get it out easily! I was thinking that screw was gonna be mangled and not come out.