New FX Outdoors True Ballistic Chronograph - Shipping Now

Super cool. I love that it does the BC calculations for you! Should pair nicely with the free Element Optics Ballistic app too!

Everything works fine with it EXCEPT the BC calculation, I think they got the formula or something wrong. The numbers it gives are unrealistically high for both g1 and RA4. Haven't tried it with powder burner to check g7.

Reactions: Dairyboy
33 gr .22 slug @ 1000ft/s for 50yards BC G1 0.12 is good nothing wrong with it.

Still haven't find a answer till what distance the speed is really measured. Have to find a way to test it. Maybe shooting at cotton hanging in the air at 75m and see if the chrony measures a big change in speed at 75m.

I'm still not sure and if the measured speed range is different for the EU or USA version.

Remember, no one has released a viable slug or pellet ballistic profile. The RA4 is close for slugs, but no cigar.
I'm not sure that's true for slugs that are kept at a lower speed, say under 950 fps. I use the G1 profile or RA4 profile for heavier .25 caliber slugs like the 41 grain ZAN at 950 fps or NSA 43.5 grain at 915 fps, and they are SPOT ON out to 300 yards.

I also use the G1 (0.21) or G7 (0.111) profile for the Altaros ATP Smooth 49.5 grain slugs at 885 fps out to 300?+ yards and both of them are spot on from 120 to 240 yards and were good enough to shoot 25/25 at the Long-Range Challenge in Oregon the end of April (next best score was 18/25). I've only personally verified these BCs out to 286 yards.

So, I think we're talking slugs that are shot well over 1000 fps or more along the lines of a .22 LR Subsonic Rimfire bullet than an airgun slug shot at under 1000 fps, and specifically under 950 fps.

One thing I have noticed, and not confirmed, is the new "G5" profile that is now an option on Chairgun Elite (which appears to be a replacement for Strelok Pro (which we can no longer download due to the "war" that Russia is involved in with Ukraine).

• Access the latest manual at this link. It includes instructions for the FX Radar app, a feature not found in the printed manual.
  • The latest Android and iOS apps support FXTBC.
  • The release of the ballistic data export feature is planned for August.
  • As observed by some users, the reported BC values appear high. This is a result of the chronograph calculating "Simple BC". Further explanation can be found in the manual. A conversion tool for the app to calculate BC using weather information is currently under development.
  • Multiple chronographs can operate on the same shooting range if set to different channels. To do this, open the configuration settings (top left button) and navigate to the channel settings. By default, all chronographs are set to channel 1, so consider changing this.
  • If another shooter's activity is triggering your chronograph, lower your trigger sensitivity in the configuration settings. Lower sensitivity is acceptable as long as the chronograph is triggered by your firearm. This feature requires firmware version 55. The firmware can be updated at this link.

Last edited:
Mine says 2A95Z20231001
Thanks. This new FX chrono should work well as it's using 24Ghz radar ..

A7547A0E-7928-4155-98B0-DA0580F3A6F0.jpeg

There are no "various" versions. Whether you select yards or meters for example, the calculations required are handled in the firmware.

The question remains, is it accurate in its readings? The readout is no more than ± one digit with the Labradar. They don't play well together, but ten shot averages fit the ± one digit. Comparing the TBC to the small one offered by FX, is an act of futility due to the acoustic triggering method. Incidentally, the Labradar uses an acoustic trigger, so unless you activate the radar before taking the shot, there will be a larger variation in velocities measured between the two units.

The meplat (flat nose) of airgun slugs, is the main reason the RA4 (round nose, 22LR ballistic profile) falls short at extended ranges. Bob Sterne and others are working on establishing a better profile for both slugs and pellets. Let us hope FX listens?

I'm going to need this to be out for a while and have some serious real world user tests before I buy another chrono/radar from FX. The little FX radar chrono that's been out for a while was one of the worst purchases I've made. Sporadic, not accurate and misses a lot of shots. Useless.
Love my LabRadar, but this new FX radar has some features that I'm liking a lot.
The LabRadar not calculating BC and needing a microphone for Airguns are my only real gripes with it.
Interesting . . . I have had nothing but great performance out of my FX chrony and consider it one of the best purchases I have made to compliment my shooting.

Interesting . . . I have had nothing but great performance out of my FX chrony and consider it one of the best purchases I have made to compliment my shooting.
Good ones and bad ones I guess. Glad you got a good one. It's a bummer on my end because having a little portable radar chrono would have been great. Mine is now a 200 dollar paper weight.
I've since moved on to the LabRadar and haven't looked back.

Good ones and bad ones I guess. Glad you got a good one. It's a bummer on my end because having a little portable radar chrono would have been great. Mine is now a 200 dollar paper weight.
I've since moved on to the LabRadar and haven't looked back.
I would bet that FX would make it right with you if you approached them.

Reactions: GA_LeadHead