FX New FX model – Is the FX King a Panthera in disguise ?

I like the Panthera/Dynamic action and can understand how it might become the FX Meccano gun. When you look at their website, they produce so many models, maybe they want to reduce the huge variety that they offer (but then it's FX, so maybe not). If they put the King in a lightweight stock, that in any way makes it close to the crown in weight, then I might take a look.
I think the biggest drawback of the Panthera range is the quick swapping out of barrels has gone, obviously it can be done, but is more involved

Looks like it. Plenum over barrel. Yes, those stocks are heavy, plenum in front probably alters balance a little. But might help balance with a heavier stock.

I reckon this is the replacement for the Crown. Something very hard to improve on. But if you want to shoot long range, this would be a good ticket. I just dont understand why people don't get a rimfire or something if they're going to do that.
Hi,
I have to disagree with one part of your comment. The GRS stock is not especially "heavy". I know the FX website says the Crown with the GRS stock weighs 9.8 lbs while the same rifle in the Laminate stock weighs 6.8 lbs. Those numbers are incorrect (as is some other info on their website in their rifle specs - more later). I have two Crown MkII's with GRS stocks. The stocks weigh 2.25 lbs (2lbs 4oz). with the rest of the rifle (receiver 500mm barrel, and 480cc bottle) weighing 4.4375 lbs (4 lbs 7 oz) the total comes in at about 6.7 lbs (6 lbs 11 oz). That is slightly less than the reported 6.8 lbs for the same rifle in the laminated stock.
I love the offset grip on the GRS stock as well as the easy adjustability of the pull length and cheek riser. The grip wants to make you use a "thumb up" hold which I find comfortable and steady.
My big question for the "King" is are they making the barrel beyond the plenum like the Crown "superlight" barrels? My crowns are crazy accurate and I attribute that to the barrel system.
So I for one would be interested in a Dynamic Block (which is a modified Crown Block using many of the same parts) with a Crown barrel and GRS stock.

Cheers,
Greg

I'm guilty of being too logical. Often.

But as mentioned earlier, this appears to be a bench or tripod gun. And that just ain't what my locale or region or preferences call for.

In my opinion, the Crown is king. I really think they out did themselves with that one. In a classical airgun role, even the short barrel mk1 will send pellets well over 900fps. Even with a wood stock, balances beautifully, and is even pleasurable to carry for hours thru the woods.
Biggest issue I see with guns being setup for high power or massive plenums…they don’t lends themselves well to being tuned for low power.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Hi,
I have to disagree with one part of your comment. The GRS stock is not especially "heavy". I know the FX website says the Crown with the GRS stock weighs 9.8 lbs while the same rifle in the Laminate stock weighs 6.8 lbs. Those numbers are incorrect (as is some other info on their website in their rifle specs - more later). I have two Crown MkII's with GRS stocks. The stocks weigh 2.25 lbs (2lbs 4oz). with the rest of the rifle (receiver 500mm barrel, and 480cc bottle) weighing 4.4375 lbs (4 lbs 7 oz) the total comes in at about 6.7 lbs (6 lbs 11 oz). That is slightly less than the reported 6.8 lbs for the same rifle in the laminated stock.
I love the offset grip on the GRS stock as well as the easy adjustability of the pull length and cheek riser. The grip wants to make you use a "thumb up" hold which I find comfortable and steady.
My big question for the "King" is are they making the barrel beyond the plenum like the Crown "superlight" barrels? My crowns are crazy accurate and I attribute that to the barrel system.
So I for one would be interested in a Dynamic Block (which is a modified Crown Block using many of the same parts) with a Crown barrel and GRS stock.

Cheers,
Greg
Thanks for the info on that stock, particularly the weight. Now I want one for my Dreamline.
If I were in the market for new gun right now, I think I would be putting this one towards the top of my list. I've been liking the Panthera/Dynamic, but I cannot bring myself to have a bottle of HPA right up against my body. That's just a deal breaker for me. I prefer more traditional metal and wood guns anyway, so this one hits a couple nice notes for me.

Biggest issue I see with guns being setup for high power or massive plenums…they don’t lends themselves well to being tuned for low power.

Not entirely true, whats more true is small plenums are hard to extract large amounts of power from.

Lowering your regulated pressure, choking the transfer port path, reducing valve lift/duration with hammer strike, or limiting your valves lift with a bumper similar to FX are all tuning approaches one can take, although I personally prefer choking the transfer path (metering the air flow) as this ultimately will give the most consistent results. It's what sub 12fpe rifles commonly do in countries heavily regulated at that power. It's why consistent, turret style power wheels are so nice in the tuning realm.

I think all regulated pcp's suffer from lower power tunes than from what the air flow path is set to allow, which is why we tune to 97%~ of the plateau for optimal consistency, regardless of available plenum volume.

My current pilot valve is very insensitive to these variable which is sweet. That is because at 2150 psi my hammer strike only has to overcome 25.5 lbs of holding force, and at 2250, 26.5, which is 4%. When I was running a conventional valve, at 2150 psi the valve had 130.5 lbs of holding force, and at 2250 psi 136.5 lbs. While the % increase is relatively the same, you're looking at a 6 lb difference vs a 1 lb difference the hammer/spring combo has to overcome. So valves with less holding force should be less susceptible to large variations in fps due to regulator creep.

It's a common misconception that smaller plenums or rifles setup to deplete a large portion of their available plenum volume are more consistent than larger plenum rifles that do not, or else all the newest air rifles wouldn't really be boasting 50-70-100cc plenum volumes. If you want to deplete more plenum volume, lower your regulator pressure, as both volume and set point pressure are tied together in available power output.

-Matt

Last edited:
Not entirely true, whats more true is small plenums are hard to extract large amounts of power from.

Lowering your regulated pressure, choking the transfer port path, reducing valve lift/duration with hammer strike, or limiting your valves lift with a bumper similar to FX are all tuning approaches one can take, although I personally prefer choking the transfer path (metering the air flow) as this ultimately will give the most consistent results. It's what sub 12fpe rifles commonly do in countries heavily regulated at that power. It's why consistent, turret style power wheels are so nice in the tuning realm.

I think all regulated pcp's suffer from lower power tunes than from what the air flow path is set to allow, which is why we tune to 97%~ of the plateau for optimal consistency, regardless of available plenum volume.

My current pilot valve is very insensitive to these variable which is sweet. That is because at 2150 psi my hammer strike only has to overcome 25.5 lbs of holding force, and at 2250, 26.5, which is 4%. When I was running a conventional valve, at 2150 psi the valve had 130.5 lbs of holding force, and at 2250 psi 136.5 lbs. While the % increase is relatively the same, you're looking at a 6 lb difference vs a 1 lb difference the hammer/spring combo has to overcome. So valves with less holding force should be less susceptible to large variations in fps due to regulator creep.

It's a common misconception that smaller plenums or rifles setup to deplete a large portion of their available plenum volume are more consistent than larger plenum rifles that do not, or else all the newest air rifles wouldn't really be boasting 50-70-100cc plenum volumes. If you want to deplete more plenum volume, lower your regulator pressure, as both volume and set point pressure are tied together in available power output.

-Matt

so why then are ppl partially filling power plenums to get FX impact to perform well in low power applications?

My understanding is higher plenum pressure also result in better valve performance. The valve simply doesn’t perform well with 60bar pressure

Even though 97% of 60bar plenum would be enough energy.

(60Bar is simply a metric in this case)

if i heard it right on one of our Dutch forums, Krale is planning launch next Wednesday.
I m told price tag would be over 2000€.
Let s see what Wednesday brings.

Not even Wednesday yet, and here's the first Dutch dealer already.

2260€ about equals 2415 USD.
Looks like the predicted 'dynamic' cow needing milking.

Notice FX calling this King with GRS stock 'a very classic sporter rifle'. ... Beg your pardon? All-round sporter, is it now? And classic?... even 'very classic' ? . . . Well now, that s a lot of effort trying to convince ... who exactly?
My classic sporters look very different and foremost feel and handle utterly different in my hands, than such GRS stock ever did.
Also hunters will apparently need some convincing, so FX goes proclaiming "a pure hunting rifle" . . . Excuse me ? ... A hunting rifle with a benchrest stock ?... Really ?... Must be me then, not seeing it.

Bit more straightforward would have sounded something like "sorry but we ran into some trouble getting other stocks than these GRS models, so we 're stuck with GRS only. That's why from now on we are calling these GRS benchrest stocks utterly 'classic' ." Perhaps not the most ideal of marketing speeches, but at least genuinely straightforward it would have been.

At the moment no one seems to have any information on whether other rifle stock models will come available. Word is that only some synthetic GRS stocks are still to be expected. But no 'classic stocks' nor 'classic TH models'.

1699823244816.jpeg

1699823266862.jpeg

1699823282046.jpeg

1699823293889.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, should have just called it Crown MK3.
Euuuhhh... Nope. Doesn't resemble Crown at all. Is an entirely other thing. But i do so like your positive spirit qball. Always have.

Haters you say?
Well now, never before been portrayed as an FX basher.
Guess there s a first time for everything.
Simple reason for not having been called FX-hater before, is because I will never part from any gun in my FX collection. Very dear to me. Indeed Leadhead lad, premature yelling has multiple faces.

Nevertheless, this latest FX i see for the milking cow it is meant to be.
It s not even that overdone price tag jumping up and biting your nose off, that bugs me.
I just don t at all like the total appearance and look of it, nor do i like the lack of integration where wood and bottle meet.
It s like that bottle has been brutally stomped on top of that sort of 'extended pistol grip' -"No Sir, alas, we re sorry, neither any foregrip of whatever kind-... Just hold on to that bottle like it were a tactical you re grabbing- ".

Nor do i like that 'barrel through plenum' thing. Rubs in against every fibre of my being. No matter how much punch that thing is suppose to deliver. Supposed to deliver, on an ever and still limited bottle pressure... entirely unlike todays M3. I just wonder . . .

Btw, did everyone notice the 250bar max on the new King?
Oops they did it again. No ultimately maximizing bottle efficiency of a supposed power cannon each time slurping away every bottle fill real fast.
Still no 300 bar capacity like on the M3-'aftermath'...
Could ve been better. Should ve been better. From the first time on. But no, alas.
Might this 250 bar limit perhaps indirectly have something to do with that barrel- through-plenum construction...? Just guessing.

And yes of course i totally salute FX on their ongoing search for new developments and applications.
But this application will surely be one passing me by, as were Panthera and Dynamic.

I 'd rather had welcomed FX providing some "small" upgrades on the MKII Crown first, enabling it to be used from 300bar on. But no, alas...
I guess that such 300bar 'detail' will come available on next FX edition. :rolleyes:
Hope for the future. Yep, very elementary my dear :sneaky:, to keep people hoping. . . What would man be without hope?:sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
Euuuhhh... Nope. Doesn't resemble Crown at all. Is an entirely other thing. But i do so like your positive spirit qball. Always have.

I agree it is completely different and do see why they made it a different lineup. Just hope they keep and do some minor updates for the crown as a pellet gun, no need for more power. I shoot little 177 pellets from my Crowns and Dreamlines far more than my Impacts and Dynamic by a huge margin, almost everyday vs once a week at best. Guess the only question is what will FX do for the Crown or will hey retire the Crown like the Royale, only time will tell but I sure hope not.

I do see that FX is expanding their market to powder burners with these super powerful airguns that shoots slugs out of box. So this gun might not be targeting those of us primarily sling pellets. My hope is once people get into airguns then they will eventually discover the joy of low power airgun experience.

Last edited: