New FX Enroute - First Steps?

I'm pretty bad about cleaning the barrel on new or used guns I buy, but it definitely is a good thing to do right when you get it as Keyman recommends.

If you bought the gun through UA, did you have them tune it in any specific manner (muzzle velocity of a specific weight and shape of pellet)? If not you should get a chronograph if you don't already have one. When you get the gun make sure to record the Factory/UA settings (well, I guess just the reg pressure on a WCIII) and start shooting pellets over the chrony. If you are shooting different brands/weights/shapes of pellets, understand what each setting of the Power Wheel gets you (and remember to ONLY adjust the Power Wheel when the gun is uncocked). Figure out muzzle velocity for each pellets at the different power wheel settings and look for which combinations give you that 'golden zone' (for me it is normally about 860 to maybe 900 fps). Then you can start your accuracy testing at the optimal velocity settings.

Doing this up front is a little bit of work (fun work), but it gets you down the road more quickly and potentially eliminates that later feeling of "why can't I get my new gun to shoot accurately/consistently."

There is no real break-in on most airguns. Well, maybe getting the barrel (liner) a little 'seasoned' with lead. But there isn't really anything you have to 'baby' at first in order to get the longest service life out of your gun. You can fill to max specified pressure right from the start (but don't ever overfill, regardless of the age of the gun). One bit of wisdom imparted to me early in my PCP experiences is to store your gun with the cylinder pressure at or near the regulator pressure setpoint. Makes sense if you think about it - at that cylinder pressure the regulator isn't under any stress or having to do any work, so it might last longer.

Other than that, congrats on your new Wildcat, and have fun!

Clean the barrel (just a quick pull through for Superior liner should be fine) , fill air reservoir, check velocity with desired pellets, mount scope, level scope, send lead at target, zero scope. Add your scope height, velocity, & pellet weight into Strelok, notate holdovers, have fun!

Unless your velocity is wayyy off, save tuning for another day.

-Michael

TMH, thank you for the very good recommendations/comments. I do have a chrony, so I'll check the FPS with the two pellets I shoot almost exclusively - .22 JSB Hades and 18.13 Diabolos - to reduce the populations of varmints robbing our bird feeders and damaging the wife's flowers. I presume the regulator's pressure setpoint is listed in an enclosed manual? I rarely ever fill a cylinder to full red line - I'd much rather get fewer shots than trust the accuracy of a gauge and overfill.

Michael, clear workflow from start to finish! I had not heard about Strelok before, but looked it up because you listed it - thank you for that tidbit.......

Now, I have to decide which of my two PCP's to sell to help pay for the Wildcat! Life ain't easy - decisions, decisions. I wanted an FX because it seems there are a lot of 'em around, so parts, sage advice, and YouTube videos on maintenance topics abound. 

Be watching for product review. Fabricator and I worked out the details, I'll be the one to test and report. Should just be a neoprene sleeve that slides on/off without much effort as will need to be removed for air filling. (Cutting hole for filling probe not ruled out, though.) Hopefully, will provide ability to check air pressure gauge, when installed. My first outing with brand new Wildcat left small scratch on air tube from steadying shot against leaning tree. (Didn't see nail head.) Thankfully black permanent marker repaired scratch so not visible now. Folded old black dress sock inside itself and slid over tube for temporary protection. Doing something more permanent now for Wildcat owners and a small business.

WM

Med8,

Sorry, reflecting on my Wildcat III experience reminded me of some other things. #! Owner's Manual will be, most likely for earlier Wildcat models and won't show how to load magazine. #2 Fill probe will need attention.
IMG_20211124_083026.1637767745.jpg
Bottom is what FX will send, top is what you need. Don't waste time taking apart end of fill hose and trying to screw FX probe into red end. Middle probe was $13 (too small) I got from Chinese seller on eBay, swore it would fit FX. (Full refund, they said keep it.) Top is $30 stainless steel probe from DonnyFL. (Tapping a scrolling flag on AGN page top will take you to vender.) Two other choices; a British company also offers SS probes (cheaper) and Pyramid Air sells adapters (stamped Air Venturi on side) that report to fit on FX OEM probe. Think in retrospect I'd try Pyramid adapters first, like $6.